Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Exams 2011

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I hate 6pm exams in the winter - it's so cold and dark. But don't mind them in the summer. Loads of time to study in the morning and afternoon and it's still bright when you are coming out.

9am exams are terrible though. The stress of of buses and trying to get in on time. And no time to really study/revise beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I hate 6pm exams in the winter - it's so cold and dark. But don't mind them in the summer. Loads of time to study in the morning and afternoon and it's still bright when you are coming out.

9am exams are terrible though. The stress of of buses and trying to get in on time. And no time to really study/revise beforehand.

I'm not a morning person at all, takes me ages to get going so that's why I don't like 9am starts. I'll still be half asleep coming out of the exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 exam88

Last exam of 7 tomorrow... any one feel like chucking me into a few prayers. I'll return the favour!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

9am one hour exams are awful and should be scrapped. The hassle of getting up early and going in for 9am just for an hour is just horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

the whole "the day starts at 9AM" thing should be scrapped altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

9am exams usually mean an all nighter for me.

alois wrote: »
    come on now, tbf there are far worse lecturers than Tobias. Not putting slides up makes it inconvenient but there are good reasons behind it. He generally doesn't talk too quickly so it's rare I don't get everything. Can't think of anytime he was unfriendly if one had a question. Does repeat the same jokes at times however ;) Trust me though there's far worse.

Did this module last year, and I thought although the lectures were boring at times that Tobias was a fairly ok lecturer. Definitely a lot worse than him out there

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Alkers

Failed today and am pretty screwed for my last two...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Well that's me finished, I might have passed international politics, that's a pretty big might though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

unknown13 wrote: »
    9am one hour exams are awful and should be scrapped. The hassle of getting up early and going in for 9am just for an hour is just horrible.

Why? Because that would suit you? I'd take a 9am over a 6pm or 7pm any day. Different people are different (although I think anybody can change their body clock with effort). I put up with 6pm exams because I know they can't schedule every exam to suit everybody. If there were no 9am exams, what would you do instead? Have people in at 10 at night instead (given how late exams already run with 9am starts)? Extend the exams for a week?

And before anybody asks, I have lived in Wicklow and had to commute up to 9am exams. All it requires is a bit of forethought to get there on time. Plus for the all nighter gang,there is no need to leave yourself needing to stay up the night before. You'd probably be better off sleeping anyway and being fresh for the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

Why? Because that would suit you?

Presumably most people - except maybe out and out philanthropanists - would prefer exam times that suit them?

Incidentally for those who don't like 6pm starts, I had to do a day's work on Thursday (finished at 4.30pm) before a 6pm exam and found it easier than the 9am start on Monday because I had to get up so early to ensure I'd get there on time. Then again, I have sat 32 exams in UCD over the years and only two have started earlier than 6pm so I suppose I am well used to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Rosita wrote: »
    Presumably most people - except maybe out and out philanthropanists - would prefer exam times that suit them?

Incidentally for those who don't like 6pm starts, I had to do a day's work on Thursday (finished at 4.30pm) before a 6pm exam and found it easier than the 9am start on Monday because I had to get up so early to ensure I'd get there on time. Then again, I have sat 32 exams in UCD over the years and only two have started earlier than 6pm so I suppose I am well used to that.

That one sentence is taken out of context by quoting it without the rest of my post. Obviously everybody would prefer an exam that suits them. That wasn't my point. My point is UCD cannot schedule exams to suit everybody. They have to fit them in somewhere. 9am is a pretty common starting point for most businesses, schools, universities etc.

I don't like 6pm exams because I wake up at 6am or 7am anyway. My body clock suits early mornings. So 6pm exams are when I'm shutting down. But I understand why 6pm exams exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

I'd find going to an exam centre when it's dark or late in the evening when I'm tired really draining and depressing, its the end of the day so most of your energy is spent, you have to watch other people realxed and releived leaving the exam hall as you enter, its dark, gloomy, rush hour...

Its a pain to get up if you are used to sleeping in i suppose, but once your up for that 9am exam, your at least full of energy, bright, sunny, and when the exams over you have the entire day ahead of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

At least you can't sleep in for 6pm exams!:D Well....

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Anyone know when the results come out? Not that I'm dying to get them or anaything...
    I know last year it was the first week in June but didn't we start early or something this year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

aidoh wrote: »
    Anyone know when the results come out? Not that I'm dying to get them or anaything...
    I know last year it was the first week in June but didn't we start early or something this year?
    June 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Ugh, have an exam in Philosophy today at 3. Effort of motivating myself to study for it. In all my years you'd think I could find motivation to study for a philosophy exam! Philosophy shouldn't even be an exam, it should just be assignments; the pressurized environment of an exam does not foster proper philosophical thinking. Learning off theories is difficult, it is far better to be able to read them, understand them, and apply your own response. Having to learn them off seems pointless and irrelevant, and only seems to test your ability to learn something off; rather than testing your understanding of it too like an assignment does.

EDIT: don't know what I was worried about actually, that was grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jigglypuff

Anyone else have a terrible fear of sleeping in on 9am exams? My fear hasn't been helped by the fact that I slept through my alarm the past two days by an hour, although thankfully I didn't have an exam. Tomorrow I might not be so lucky :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

Jigglypuff wrote: »
    Anyone else have a terrible fear of sleeping in on 9am exams? My fear hasn't been helped by the fact that I slept through my alarm the past two days by an hour, although thankfully I didn't have an exam. Tomorrow I might not be so lucky :eek:

Most phones will let you set a series of alarms, set one for every 10 minutes from your wakeuptime.
    Then tell room mates/bros/sis/parents to wake you if your not up by x time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Yep yep... I recommend to set up 2 - 3 alarms clocks 10-30 minutes apart. You bound to hear at least one of them. Does the trick for me :D

** woops, already been replied to.. aw well :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I have too! I had 2 9am starts last week and I was worried that I would sleep in.

But you hear the alarm going off, and you don't reach for the snooze button - you instinctively know that you have an exam and getting up is usually quite easy. In fact, such was my worry that I woke up 20 minutes before the alarm in each case and couldn't fall back asleep! :P

Although I didn't sleep through the exam I nearly did last week. Alarm set for 6am because I needed to study another hour and a half to just clear up one or two more topics for Modern America. Woke up at 10 to 8, in order to be on time I have to leave my house by 8. I got lucky with the questions on the paper, but it could have been worse. True story

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I like 9 o'clock exams, nothing like getting up early to go into the exam nice and fresh. I hate exams at 6 though, by that stage I'm tired I don't want to do a bloody exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I like 9 o'clock exams, nothing like getting up early to go into the exam nice and fresh. I hate exams at 6 though, by that stage I'm tired I don't want to do a bloody exam.

How about your last exam as an undergraduate? (pending a load of crap of course!) :D

Finished! \o/

Last exam was a bit of a disaster. Nothing that I prepared for came up. But I still managed to get through it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Still 2 left tomorrow. I'm stuck in the RDS from 12 til 8. Gonna be a looooooooong day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Still 2 left tomorrow. I'm stuck in the RDS from 12 til 8. Gonna be a looooooooong day :(

Look on the bright side, then you shall be free :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

That's true enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Finished!! Today wasn't amazing and ran out of time but could have been worse. Feel like I've been doing exams for weeks.

Advertisement