Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of signing up to Greenstar Domestic Waste Collection

• 14-04-2011 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi,

I was with the City Council for the last 10 years and was happy enough with their service but the cost of the tags rising most years bugged me. Now since they changed to Oxigen and I'm up for renewal I decided to shop around to get better price that suits me.

Based on my approx usage:
    Empty Refuse 10 times a year
    Empty Recycling 8 times a year
    Empty compost 2 times a year

I'm thinking of trying out GreenStar "Pay as you go" for a year.

greenstar - annual fee = 120
    Refuse - 10x6.50 = 65
    Recycling 8x0 = 0 :)
    Compost - 2x5 = 10
    Total estimated cost = 195 per annum

Just wondering if their is any Greenstar customers online, and are they happy with Greenstar service in Waterford City or should I consider another company?

Regards
    - Nyquist

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

it's early days yet cos we've only been signed up for 2 weeks but we went for the €229.00 all in service. So far no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

Been using GreenStar for 2 years now. Pay by direct debit however, so not sure how the pay as you go system works.

Their text service is really handy. They text you the night before your bin goes out and let you know which bin it is. Great for absent minded people like myself.

Can take a while to get your bins initially though... We moved house during the bad weather in November, and were about 3 weeks without bins, as their trucks couldn't negotiate the slippy roads in our estate. Not their fault I know...

When dealing with their customer service on the phone they were really helpful and nice people to deal with. They did send us a letter with the wrong collection day on it though! We only copped it when we saw our neighbours putting out their bins on a different day to us!!

Other than that, very happy with the service provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

Agree 100% with this poster. The text service is invaluable. Not sure if this is standard among other companies, but I would be lost without it.
    cbmonstra wrote: »
    Been using GreenStar for 2 years now. Pay by direct debit however, so not sure how the pay as you go system works.

Their text service is really handy. They text you the night before your bin goes out and let you know which bin it is. Great for absent minded people like myself.

Can take a while to get your bins initially though... We moved house during the bad weather in November, and were about 3 weeks without bins, as their trucks couldn't negotiate the slippy roads in our estate. Not their fault I know...

When dealing with their customer service on the phone they were really helpful and nice people to deal with. They did send us a letter with the wrong collection day on it though! We only copped it when we saw our neighbours putting out their bins on a different day to us!!

Other than that, very happy with the service provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 nyquist

Agree 100% with this poster. The text service is invaluable. Not sure if this is standard among other companies, but I would be lost without it.
    yes I like this service too. It will come in handy.

Phone Texting is something I wish a lot of companies would introduce, especially credit card companies. It would be very handy to know when my card has been used. My card details got wild once a few years ago and some twat ordered 1,000 euros worth of lunchboxes and something from Apple.com, guy was from Ballymum in dublin. Only for I am vigilant and check my credit card online regularly they would have got away with it.

<Snippity snip! I'm a dirty spammer>

@cbmonstra - thats for the info, that is good to hear you are with them 2 years and are happy enough. I looked at WastePal, Oixgen, Mr Binman and Greenstar websites but since I lived a sheltered a life always renewing to the City Council I wasnt sure what the others were like for service. I think I'll sign up now to Greenstar and try them out for the year, their price plan suits my usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I changed from Greenstar to Mr Binman this year. Mr Binman came in €100 cheaper then Greenstar for a slightly better package

Stokolan wrote: »
    I changed from Greenstar to Mr Binman this year. Mr Binman came in €100 cheaper then Greenstar for a slightly better package
    I'm curious as to those numbers added up. In our case we figured that 1 bin per week and paying the yearly fee up front it was working out around €50 a year cheaper with Greenstar. In reality though we've mostly been recycle bin heavy to date but just liked the idea of short term financial pain in return for long term forget about it.

all our black bin stuff gets dumped out on the main road when the coast is clear :p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

old gregg wrote: »
    I'm curious as to those numbers added up.

Well when I got my renewal for Green star they wanted €370 for 1 - 240l recycle bin and 1 x 240l refuse bin.

Mr Binman called to the door and offered me €50 off if I signed up to their silver service (1 240l refuse, 1 240l recycle + bags, 1 smaller brown bin) which came in at around €240 I think.

Shortly after Greenstar contacted me to tell me that they were coming out with a better offer. But it was too late at that stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

Galvanised bin 15 euro.
    1 Ltr of petrol E1.50

another quick question, my current refuse and green bin are just full, will Greenstar take them on the first load or do I have to put everything into Greenstar bins?

@old gregg, what did you do?

• Advertisement

nyquist wrote: »
    another quick question, my current refuse and green bin are just full, will Greenstar take them on the first load or do I have to put everything into Greenstar bins?

@old gregg, what did you do?
    I already had the city council bins so they just placed their stickers on the front. My refuse bin was full at the time and they just collected it as normal on the next scheduled day.

Advertisement