Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tyre Price in France

• 14-04-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi All

Need to change tyres on "van"

We will be heading to France in May and I am debating changing them in France......the problem is that I am debating without having all of the facts :rolleyes:

Does anybody know how tyre prices in France compare to prices in Ireland?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

I had to buy two tyres in France four years ago, they cost me 175 euro each. I bought the very same tyres here (Firestone Vanhawk) last year at 125 euro each. Not sure if this is typical of all France, this was in the country just south of Bordeaux.

corkbuoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Last year I needed 4 tyres to replace the 5 year old Michelin XC Camping tyres (which still had loads of thread but were showing signs of UV damage).

I checked NORAUTO who are a major chain in France and could have saved a few Euro against a really good price locally for the same tyre (Michelin Agilis Camping) so decided to spend locally.

Also, if an after sales issue arose I would have been able to go back to the supplier.

BTW, as tyres usually start to break up as a result of UV damage long before thread wear gets critical it's important to check the age of the tyre before fitting, try and get ones whit a recent manufacturing date stamp, have a look HERE for all you need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

From talking to people who had to buy tyres in France, they nearly died of shock at the prices they had to pay there. They were one UK van and one Irish van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Many thanks for all the replies folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I had a look last year too, no real savings even on budget brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭maxextz

i used to get my van tyres up north for 60 pounds each "150euro each here"then with the uk vat increase its nearly the same price here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

niloc1951, what price locally for the Michelin tyres? and where is locally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

velosolex wrote: »
    niloc1951, what price locally for the Michelin tyres? and where is locally?
    Dessie's Tyres, Cork. 4 X 215/75R16CP Michelin Agilis Camping, fitting and balancing, = €710 ............... May 2010

BTW make sure you have steel bolt in high pressure valves, the rubber snap-in type are only safe up to 4.5 bar (65 psi.) - CP tyres have a max pressure rating of 5.5 bar (80 psi).

http://www.tyrelandkilkenny.com/Contact.html << one of the cheapest in Éire

€65 for a no bells or whistles 16" tyre for with 20mill treads

Cover the tyres on the sunny side of the van with a thick white towel or that reflective window-y stuff for extra miles.

Advertisement