Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect fees

• 14-04-2011 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi

I am looking to renovate and extend a house in south dublin. I got some quotations from architects whose websites i like the look of, but my god the prices! Those that would be pinned down quoted me >15k for the whole works, even though i plan on using direct labour and won't need planning permission. Does this sound as insane to you as it does to me? If so can anyone reccomend a good quality architect who might be a bit more reasonable?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fees really all depend on the size and complexity of the project and the service you require.

PM sent btw. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

15 k sounds like an awful lot of money for renovations and extension to existing dwelling that does nt need planning , unless includes project management to completion and all certs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sangfroid

Well you see the quotes do cover that, but i specifically stated that i wanted to project manage myself and use direct labour as i know i can get things done cheaper that way. They seem to have ignored that and quoted me anyway - and i'm worried i will end up being charged 1000s for sevices i dont want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

First, I am not an Architect, but it seems from your post you are just at the quotation stage. You have not signed a contract for service/advice and so will not be paying anything at this stage.

The brief it appears was not understood, and the quotation is not for what you require.

So, either go back and ask for a new quote based on the advice/service you require, or if the Guy does not understand or ignores, your requirements at this stage, you might think that he may missunderstand other more important features of the project, in which case move on and consult someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sangfroid

Thanks Martin,

i'd say that too, only this has happened with all three firms that i have gotten quotes from so far! Other firms won't quote me a fixed fee, rather an hourly rate that i can see being multipied exponentially...

They all seem to quote this 4 stage process, stating i can take as many or as little stages as i want, but also making it clear i won't get any decent drawings until the fourth "construction" (ie project managment) stage.

How much should i be being charged for this? All i want is a few meetings to hash out some ideas, then a set of drawings i can work from, i don't want to do anything complex or difficult with my extension, or restoration for that matter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I can't answer that, however given some the Architectural/ or/ Technical people who hang out here, I am sure you will get an answer real soon.

If not post a similar message in the Arch. Forum next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

We are using an architect for work on our listed georgian house.
    He has processed the plans and is dealing with all the councils forms and questions in regards conservation and has provided detailed plans for the work ahead all for 1600 euros

He used to work for Van Dyke architects but has now branched out on his own.

so far we've be over the moon with him.
    You can Pm me for his number if you like

Advertisement