Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seal a concrete balcony

• 14-04-2011 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I have a balcony on my house - it was made from concrete poured onto T-beams. Its at least 6 inches thick. It has a slope off of it, but in very wet weather, damp patches will show underneath it.

I'd like to put some type of sealer on to it to prevent the dampness getting through it and to prevent frost damage to it in the future.

Can anyone recommend a good quality sealer that would be suitable for it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I would imagine you have some cracks in the concrete that open and close with expansion/contraction and they allow the water percolate down.

In my experience none of the paint-on sealers will work where you have cracks so I would look at getting it covered with something.

Is the balcony used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Carlow52 wrote: »
    I would imagine you have some cracks in the concrete that open and close with expansion/contraction and they allow the water percolate down.

In my experience none of the paint-on sealers will work where you have cracks so I would look at getting it covered with something.

Is the balcony used?

It will be used. Its brand new so there aren't cracks. My builder just told me to seal it with some type of concrete sealer. He said that the concrete will just soak water and will crack with expansion and contraction during hard frost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

reilig wrote: »
    It will be used. Its brand new so there aren't cracks. My builder just told me to seal it with some type of concrete sealer. He said that the concrete will just soak water and will crack with expansion and contraction during hard frost.

If the concrete was properly finished and troweled it wont soak water, just look at all the concrete roads that survived the last 3 bouts of frost:)

PM sent re a proper sealer

Advertisement