Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Bass lines & Melodies

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

NJ, thanks for all the vids.

I've got quite a bit out of it. Especially tiny little bits of technique.

I've even started a Trance track that sounds like something. I was thinking of calling it The Rings of Uranus - though I'll probably have to change that - it does sound spacey though.

You know. What I'd really like is if you could talk randomly over the structure of a track you've already completed. The more random the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

krd wrote: »
    You know. What I'd really like is if you could talk randomly over the structure of a track you've already completed. The more random the better.

haha, anything constructive or just ramblings? ;)

Neurojazz wrote: »
    haha, anything constructive or just ramblings? ;)

The rambling is constructive.

Anyone can show the basic "how to" - it's more the inbetweens where you say stuff - not with any particular clarity, but maybe clearer than if it was YTBS Rockschool

Like the bit in the drum tutorial where you played with the decay on the hi-hat and talked about it. I kind of knew that already, and had played with it before - but now I have a different understanding and feeling for it, just by watching you doing your thang. It would probably go completely over the head of an absolute beginner - but for someone who's tortuously tried to learn all the different ways of achieving something, and not being sure of any particular method, it can be illuminating.

You rambling away is great

Anyone can show the basic "how to" - it's more the inbetweens where you say stuff - not with any particular clarity, but maybe clearer than if it was YTBS Rockschool

Like the bit in the drum tutorial where you played with the decay on the hi-hat and talked about it. I kind of knew that already, and had played with it before - but now I have a different understanding and feeling for it, just by watching you doing your thang. It would probably go completely over the head of an absolute beginner - but for someone who's tortuously tried to learn all the different ways of achieving something, and not being sure of any particular method, it can be illuminating.

You rambling away is great

Cool, i'll slacken up on a few tutorials a bit more lol - usually I ramble way to much anyway and these i'm in are pretty lucid lol, i'll have time on thursday and will go right off on a tangent for you - something pretty different :)

• Advertisement

Ok, rambling posted up here (and a couple of other new ones).

Youtube is allowing me to upload longer videos now also - so maybe can post some actual sessions soon (with rambling)

Let me know if that's the sort of thing you wanted!

Ok, rambling posted up here (and a couple of other new ones).

Youtube is allowing me to upload longer videos now also - so maybe can post some actual sessions soon (with rambling)

Let me know if that's the sort of thing you wanted!

Yeah, that's precisely what I meant. Yeah, actually that was really good.

Now to apply it.

Yeah, that's precisely what I meant. Yeah, actually that was really good.

Now to apply it.

Cool :) - I can do more on Thursday - so any gaps or stuff you'd like more detail on (or new subjects/vsts) just ask and i'll get on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

Be interested in hearing your advice / see a vid on prepping material for playing out - Live sets

romarr wrote: »
    Be interested in hearing your advice / see a vid on prepping material for playing out - Live sets

Cool - quite a bit goes on there, If your into the Trance side also (and not my EDM antics) - Stuart is doing a Q&A on Reddits Trance section and you can quiz him there for advanced stuff about the main Binary set work that goes on :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/trance/comments/gwlpa/binary_finary_ama/

Will try to get that video up for Monday or maybe even tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

Cool - quite a bit goes on there, If your into the Trance side also (and not my EDM antics) - Stuart is doing a Q&A on Reddits Trance section and you can quiz him there for advanced stuff about the main Binary set work that goes on :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/trance/comments/gwlpa/binary_finary_ama/

I'll have a trawl through that - more into the edm antics myself
    Will try to get that video up for Monday or maybe even tomorrow :)

ta !

You're playing on the 6th?

Mp3s and don't forget to wear the mouse head.

I'll have a trawl through that - more into the edm antics myself

ta !

Here's a casual one about live - just ask if you want details on any area.

NJ, that was a really great piece. Lots of really excellent stuff in there I'd never heard before.

I'll throw in something I know about laptops - that I've found out the hard way. Never block the fan intake (kind of obvious). Before you use the laptop - when it's switched off - blow through the fan outflow, to blow away dust build ups - since the fan airflow is one way, it has a habit of picking up deposits, the normal flow doesn't clear - mine picks up fag ash. Dust on the processor can causes a serious overheating problem - all processors have a panic, if they sense they're overheating - usually 80c, they automatically clock down - or trigger another panic that shuts off the machine (if you're in a hot room the chances are, if the processor can't cool as quickly as it normally would, you'll have a problem). Also be careful of sudden temperature changes - laptops are designed to run at room temperature. If you're at a winter festival in Poland and your laptop has been chilling at -10c, it will not like it when you try to wake it up. The shock could be enough to make it die.

Thanks again for doing that tutorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Wow, how did I miss this thread. Gold.

Looking forward to a nice session watching these and then making music.

Any chance of one on self-mastering?

Wow, how did I miss this thread. Gold.

Looking forward to a nice session watching these and then making music.

Any chance of one on self-mastering?

Cool cheers :) - There are some little bits of self mastering in there - but something to be avoided because of the issues with speakers/rooms etc...

But saying that will do a brief run over typical things to avoid doing!

I've got another 3-4 videos to do today, If i get a chance i'll show some tricks in them today :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I think we can all agree here that this thread deserves it's own sticky??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

And maybe an edit of the thread title.

I promise i will clean this up and turn it into a meta thread - but life is hectic at the moment ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Are you the only mod here NJ?

If ya needed a bit of help arranging the place I'd be able to lend a few hours a week! ;)

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    Are you the only mod here NJ?

If ya needed a bit of help arranging the place I'd be able to lend a few hours a week! ;)

Contact Malice (the CMod) about it and he can make the needed internal examinations ;)

I love warp. You can make nearly any sample fit with just a few seconds of tweaking.

The sampler and simpler, I have really mastered yet. Like how to use one shot stabs and synths and pads and make them into instruments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Heres a couple of vids I made.

Throwing them in here - Hope thats ok.

I'm no Pro, but hope it gives a few ideas :cool:

ICN, I liked the sound of that bit you did in the tutorial.

I liked to hear it fleshed out to a full track. Not with fancy bells and whistles - just kind of minimalistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Man.. That has to be one of the sincerest posts of yours that I've yet read! :P :cool: :cool:

Thanks a lot - I seem to have no probs making sh!t like that.. its just the bit that you're talking about - fleshing it out etc.. thats where I start to stumble.

Getting better, slowly. Up to about 5mins now on average :pac:

Advertisement