Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Renewed - Cancelled - Still under debate - Shows Announced (So Far...)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clareman wrote: »
    The movies were a MASSIVE success, The Da Vinci Code made $758.2 million on a $150 million budget, allowing for the rough guideline of twice the budget being breakeven that's a profit of ~$450 million or 3x the budget, Angels and Demons made $485 million off $150 million and Inferno made $220 off $75, I think Hanks had only signed on for 3 movies and if he was to go for another 1 it would have probably been a massive cost. I always thought the books would have been more suited for a TV series than a movie, every chapter leaves a cliffhanger that makes you have to turn the page. Then again, they skipped Symbol for Inferno when making the movies.

I've just realised that I've read all Dan Brown's books, I wouldn't consider myself a fan but his books are awful easy reading when on holidays.

Inferno is on 5 Star at the moment, it looks like a straight to TV movie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The movies were a MASSIVE success, The Da Vinci Code made $758.2 million on a $150 million budget, allowing for the rough guideline of twice the budget being breakeven that's a profit of ~$450 million or 3x the budget, Angels and Demons made $485 million off $150 million and Inferno made $220 off $75, I think Hanks had only signed on for 3 movies and if he was to go for another 1 it would have probably been a massive cost. I always thought the books would have been more suited for a TV series than a movie, every chapter leaves a cliffhanger that makes you have to turn the page. Then again, they skipped Symbol for Inferno when making the movies.

I've just realised that I've read all Dan Brown's books, I wouldn't consider myself a fan but his books are awful easy reading when on holidays.

Budget to make a film is only part of it - advertising, promotion blah blah, also in the Da Vinci example that 750 million is not what goes back to the studio.

Inferno is on 5 Star at the moment, it looks like a straight to TV movie

That book was a complete snorefest - amateurish writing that spent most of the book describing the places they were visiting with some threadbare story thrown in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

fritzelly wrote: »
    Budget to make a film is only part of it - advertising, promotion blah blah, also in the Da Vinci example that 750 million is not what goes back to the studio.

I think the rule of thumb is that you double the budget to factor in marketing and other costs, so if a film's budget is 250 million then the break-even mark will be close to 500 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Anyone know if there’ll be another season of the Americans?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

digzy wrote: »
    Anyone know if there’ll be another season of the Americans?

It ended last year on FX, as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

It ended last year on FX, as planned.

Just watched the last episode last week on rte....seemed like potential for more...

Some pity. Best show on tv....

• Registered Users Posts: 86,369 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Never got that film and cannot imagine a drawn out storyline will interest me either. Is there even that much lore in the story for a series?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

fritzelly wrote: »
    Never got that film and cannot imagine a drawn out storyline will interest me either. Is there even that much lore in the story for a series?
    Head blown... The books have so much story and lore you could film GoT series out of it and still not touch half the source material or explore the ideas/concepts behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, over 20 books. They can keep it going for a long time if it catches on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Anything involving Denis Villeneuve, I'm signed up to it. Terrific director

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Actually sounds like a good idea for a companion series. The Bene Gesserit are a strong force, perfect for modern series still. At a guess, it'll be a prequel to the films, serving the manipulation for their messiah.
    There's so much lore to use here. Excited if this is done well. Sure my username is from Dune!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

"Love, Death + Robots" Renewed for 2nd Season by netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

DenMan wrote: »

thats a real pity. i quite liked The Passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,593 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sandra Bullock’s College Years to be developed as Amazon Series With John Legend, Akiva Goldsman
    Amazon is developing a series loosely inspired by Sandra Bullock’s college years, Variety has learned.

Bullock will executive produce the series along with Akiva Goldsman and John Legend. K.C. Perry will write and executive produce. The series is described as a dramedy set in the world of music and dance. It will take place in the American deep south in the 1980s, where one darkly off-beat young woman defies expectations and sets out in search of love, community, and an identity of her own.

The idea for the series is said to have come from conversations between Bullock and Goldsman. Goldsman then brought in Marja Lewis-Ryan and Legend’s Get Lifted Film Co. to further develop the idea as a series. Lewis-Ryan is now focused on the “L Word” revival at Showtime and will therefore serve as consulting producer on the Amazon project. Goldsman and Legend previously collaborated on the WGN America series “Underground.”

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/sandra-bullock-amazon-series-john-legend-akiva-goldsman-1203238108/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Balls. Proven innocent was an easy watch.

Loughc wrote: »

Indeed! I just watched its season finale on Universal last night.

• Advertisement

Heaven Of Hell

Josh Hartnett, Bridget Regan, Nick Nolte & Barbara Hershey Star In ‘Paradise Lost’ Series For Spectrum Originals & Paramount Network

Spectrum Originals and Paramount Network have finalized a 10-episode series order and set the lead cast for Paradise Lost (working title, fka Heaven Of Hell), a Southern Gothic mystery series from Paramount Television and Anonymous Content.

Josh Hartnett (Penny Dreadful) will play the male lead and Bridget Regan (Jane the Virgin, The Last Ship) is set the female lead in the series, which will co-star Barbara Hershey (Once Upon a Time), Nick Nolte (Gracepoint, Graves), Gail Bean (Snowfall), Danielle Deadwyler (Gifted) and Shane McRae (Sneaky Pete).

Created and written by Rodes Fishburne (Blood & Oil), Paradise Lost is about a psychiatrist (Regan) who moves with her family from California to her husband’s (Hartnett) hometown in Mississippi only to uncover shameful secrets that irrevocably change the lives of everyone involved.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/josh-hartnett-bridget-regan-nick-nolte-barbara-hershey-star-paradise-lost-series-spectrum-originals-paramount-network-1202630575/

Russian Doll renewed at Netflix

Nice, thought it was a good show - so dark

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm very sceptical of this, it worked perfectly as a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ah here, I googled that show back when it came out and I took away that it was a comedy.

Is there more to it?

Slydice wrote: »
    Ah here, I googled that show back when it came out and I took away that it was a comedy.

Is there more to it?

Its a bit of a comedy but very dark humour, well worth a binge watch as the first episode doesn't really give anything away iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I'm very sceptical of this, it worked perfectly as a one off.

agreed but if done right . a good side kick that she is joined with , it can work

Lobo

DC’s Deep-Space Bounty Hunter Targeted For Syfy Series
    Syfy has set its sights on a DC Comics fan-favorite. Syfy and Warner Horizon Scripted Television confirm they are developing Lobo, a live-action screen version of the intergalactic rogue who

DC Comics fan-favorite Lobo is an indestructible deep-space bounty hunter who looks like a biker version of Beetlejuice, grouses like Wolverine, and has amassed an interstellar body count that would make The Mandalorian envious. In temperament and destructive power, Lobo is steroid-pumped Stich (of Lili & Stich) equipped with Mad Max sensibilities. He’s typically drenched in both sarcasm and blood, sharing many of the profane and lethal attributes of Fox’s Deadpool. character

Based on the characters from DC, this spinoff of Krypton, which premieres its second season tonight and chronicles the events on Superman’s home world in the years before his birth. The new show would track the story of Lobo, a “foul-mouthed, dangerous, irascible, intergalactic bounty hunter.” Krypton executive producer Cameron Welsh will serve as executive producer/writer.

Lobo has been a coveted property over the years with numerous producers and plans announced for both film and television. Michael Bay, Guy Richie, Brad Peyton, Dwayne Johnson, and Will Smith are some of the prominent players who have tried to wrangle the cult favorite into a spotlight adaptation. The character was introduced in 1983 in the pages of Omega Men, a science fiction epic that was edgy in its content by the era’s standards. Lobo was an immediate sensation with fans who embraced the remorseless, unstoppable, and uncouth alien as a subversive favorite.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/lobo-dcs-deep-space-bounty-hunter-targeted-for-syfy-series-1202631352/

Loughc wrote: »
    Indeed! I just watched its season finale on Universal last night.

I thought it finished it's season 1 arc well but season 2 could have had Bellows in jail

• Advertisement

I thought it finished it's season 1 arc well but season 2 could have had Bellows in jail

Indeed, and it finished with him becoming Attorney General and Madeline and the team suspecting him of murder. I'd love it if another network picked it up. Reverie, The Passage and Proven Innocent, three shows I really enjoyed and all cancelled after one season. Thank god History have renewed Project Blue Book for a second season.

Advertisement