Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on my garden

Options
  • 14-04-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

I have a small garden and look after it fairly well, see below, pic from last year:

Since the picture was taken, I have removed everything on the grass and fertilised it and fed it, however over the winter alot of moss has grown and it looks crap, I really like a lucious green garden like on a golf course and was wondering how I can make this better?

Also I am looking at summer bedding plants for all along the edges of my decking, is it pansys I should be looking at our doex anyone have any other ideas?

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Meelich

hiya, if you watched gardener's world last friday Monty Don said one thing which really caught my eye/ear that in order to have a luscious lawn you need really really good drainage. moss grows where drainage is poor and/or the lawn is in shade and/or damp.

all the books say you need to aerate - you can either do this with a fork yourself, sticking it in and putting in holes at regular intervals, or hire or buy an aerator. then you are supposed to sweep some sharp sand over it. this is supposed to add drainage...

I'm a total amateur and I'm sure other people will give you better advice than I but I have found this made a difference with my lawn (although backbreaking for me).

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Meelich wrote: »
    hiya, if you watched gardener's world last friday Monty Don said one thing which really caught my eye/ear that in order to have a luscious lawn you need really really good drainage. moss grows where drainage is poor and/or the lawn is in shade and/or damp.

all the books say you need to aerate - you can either do this with a fork yourself, sticking it in and putting in holes at regular intervals, or hire or buy an aerator. then you are supposed to sweep some sharp sand over it. this is supposed to add drainage...

I'm a total amateur and I'm sure other people will give you better advice than I but I have found this made a difference with my lawn (although backbreaking for me).

best of luck

Hi Meelich, thanks for that, my lawn is partly in the shade alright in the area that has moss growing on it, it is a small lawn as you can see by the pic so it shouldn't take me too much effort to do what you have suggested, worth giving it a go anyway. Sounds like the hollow thining method used on greens on golf courses.

Advertisement