Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Read, Read, Read

Options
  • 14-04-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd give this a shot! To keep track of what I'm reading, encourage myself to get through the pile on my shelf, and to try and get myself used to writing summaries. When I can I read fiction, but I also read a bit of history and political/social theory and philosophy. So there should be a mix!

Fiction: The Good Angel of Death – Andrey Kurkov

Starts off quite quickly. The main character, Koyla, discovers a philosophical treatise within a copy of War and Peace written by the Ukrainian writer Taras Shevchenko in his new flat. Through a bit of investigation, Koyla discovers a manuscript and note referring to a national treasure in Kazakhstan. After a run in with some criminals at work, and an acid trip after taking some “baby milk”, Koyla sets off on a trip to Kazakhstan to escape the criminals and track down the treasure.

The characters are wonderful (the Ukrainian nationalist in particular) and there are some really absurdly funny parts. As a commentary on nationalism it is brilliant in some parts, and really hits the more absurd aspects of nationalism on the head. The part the national spirit plays is both hilarious and mad. I did feel it slowed down a bit too much in the middle and the ending took a bit too long to work itself out. There is a bit of magical realism in it, the Angel of Death, but I wish he’d played on it a little more.

I did enjoy it. Although If I were Ukrainian I think I would have “gotten” a lot more of the references. I think I’d recommend Death and the Penguin before it.

3/5

Next: The Outsider - Albert Camus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Sociology: The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism – Max Weber

Weber is one of the “founders” of sociology and this is generally considered his classic work. Based on the observation that Capitalism seemed to thrive in predominantly Protestant nations and communities, he launches an analysis into the theological foundations and practices of the various strains of Protestantism and their relation to Capitalism.

This was the first time I’ve read it beginning to end. If I really wanted to get to grips with it, I’d need two or three more run throughs and a pen and paper. But, what really stuck with me was his analysis of Protestantism as an ethic that seeps through every aspect of life, as rationalising away the mysticism of Catholicism and as active in the everyday life of believers. As opposed to Catholicism, which was far more magical and disconnected from the everyday routines of individuals, he argues that the Protestant ethic is more rational, more concrete and more concerned with the minute, everyday actions of individuals. It regulated/disciplined the actions of believers according to a specific, stricter ethic then the Catholic believers, and removed the kind of mysticism and irrationality that would be opposed to the Capitalist spirit.

It fits well into Weber’s wider work about the rationalisation of modern societies. My knowledge of protestant theology is pretty limited! So, I could have done with more comparisons with Catholicism to help me grasp the differences. It isn’t the most complicated read but the amount of notes and references is dizzying (I think they’re actually longer then the text!). It is quite brilliant and even if I don’t go through it again, there are a couple of paragraphs I’ll look at again.

4/5

Next: We Have Never Been Modern - Bruno Latour

Advertisement