Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

365 projects

• 14-04-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

Bit quiet recently - time for a good ould argument - friendly discussion :)

I've noticed a few people recently doing 365 projects or 52 projects - i.e. take a picture every day or every week for a year - and I'm undecided on the merits of them.

On one hand I think it's a bad idea - you can't force yourself to be creative (much) and you might just end up annoying yourself enough to put down the camera for good. I can't imagine you'd have 365 pictures you're happy with at the end of it.

On the other hand - forcing you to get out and take photos every day is going to improve your technique and experience in general by the end of it so I suppose it could be beneficial.

So what do you think? Anyone actually done one of these? Are they a waste of time and potentially harmful or a good source of motivation and learning. Or Option C - none of the above?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Seen a few of these come and go on facebook ... in a most cases after Day 5 or so it turns into a picture of the remote control or something taken with a camera phone just for the sake of it, then a picture of a can of dog food and on and on ... turns into just trying to have something to post every day rather than actually going out and trying something new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

picaaf had an interesting one on shades of green, I remember her having a few crackers in there, and some that were more meaningful in the context of the project.

I wouldn't have the commitment myself, and would end up with the aforementioned 'remote control' snaps.

Like anything in this world though, if it makes you happy; do it, if it don't; don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Promac wrote: »
    you can't force yourself to be creative (much)

Agreed, however you can force yourself to have space in which you may become creative.

Even in creative endeavours where others are involved, you will find yourself working to a timetable or a deadline imposed elsewhere.

Personally, I think they are a good idea if you are in a place where you need to do something to spur your interest. October/November is usually when this will come to the fore for people.

Motivation is, I think, a big factor.

If you do a 365, and never tell anyone that you are doing it, then it may fall if you aren't really motivated towards it or if you are only half hearted.

So tell people about it. Contribute it to the random thread or some other place where people will see the results, and strike a discipline in posting at which point should you not post, people will start asking you why, and which point you can squirm :D

I haven't done one, but I understand from those that have that the ritual becomes much easier after the initial period. I think it depends on what you put into it to see whether it becomes something which will benefit you.

There have been some contributed around here from time to time. Not sure i've seen one get to an end on this forum but I have seen others (flickr..., etc.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've always been in two minds about this; largely because a pro friend of mine suggested to me years back that if i had any serious intention to become a pro, to go out every evening and whether i wanted to or not, to take a roll of film, and come back to him in three months to let him know if i still wanted to go pro.

365 projects are similar, but on a smaller scale.

The reason I'm against them, and the reason I disagree with the "if you want to be a pro" notion above, is that you've nowhere to be (that is, a pro doesn't go wandering around taking photos for the sake of it, he has somewhere to be and a goal to achieve whilst there).

I find it very difficult to go out looking for photographs. However, I do have a camera in my backpack more often than note, and if I come across something I think could make for a decent photo, I'll take the camera out of my bag and shoot away.

Much like the advice that recurrs on the fitness forum when people say "In the next 12 months i want to lose 10 stone", the people respond with "it's too big a gap, and too generic. You won't stick to it. Break it down into smaller challenges, and give yourself a time of a few days or weeks which to achieve that challenge.

Try to run for 5 minutes straight on a treadmill within week one. Try to run 10 minutes straight within week three" (etc. I'm just making this up and paraphrasing).

I think that it'd be much more productive to apply this mentality to photography.

Allow two weeks; have created a decent looking landscape that is sillhouetted with the sun behind it, preferably at sunrise/sunset.

Allow four weeks; have a 'glamourous' high key portrait that you are proud of.

Allow one week; create a 'set' of three images based on the same subject.

Allow four weeks; practice and research car photography, contact local dealer. Aim to have photographed a brand new car in a showroom by the end of the duration.

And so forth and so on. Now, personally, I've been considering something like that myself, to keep me occupied and doing something different, but I'm too lazy at the moment. I do think such a thing is a great idea though, and much, much more beneficial than "take a photo every day".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Cyrusmekon

Have to run off quickly and so cant really add to this discussion...

BUT

This is one of the best 365's iv seen. Fair play to him.

http://photography.dustindiaz.com/

or here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polvero/sets/72157611811908959/with/4230813928/

He also has pictures of the strobist setup. From discussions he has been approached to write a book.

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Telchak

I think they're a good idea, and have been planning on doing one for a while :D

Too often I've found myself with good ideas for photos, but without the to go out and do it as I think "sure they'll be there tomorrow" :rolleyes: It's because of this I currently have three empty bottles of Southern Comfort lying in my bedroom :o

I also think, personally, it will help me to force myself to take out my camera in certain situations where I know I could get a picture but don't want to make things awkward. Having a goal to take at least one half decent photo each day would stop me from missing a lot of opportunities, not force myself to create some :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

Always thought it was forcing creativity but it can work for some people.

This here sums up the satire of it quite well. ;)

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=af11

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'm on my first such endeavour with my Project 52 @ 50. Mine is quite specific in that I have to take a pic of someone each week using only my 50mm lens - so I have two fairly drastic constraints - using only one lens and trying to interact with complete strangers to get the shot.

I wouldn't tackle a 365 because I know I'd end up at 11.55pm taking a shot of my big toe just to have a "shot". But, I do have a lot of respect for the few people I know who are doing them and I admire their dedication greatly.

Is there any merit in doing one? I suppose it depends on your own makeup and whether you like a challenge or not. I personally like a challenge and will always strive to complete it but the challenge has to be achievable and to some degree, rewarding. Hence me opting to do 52 photos over the year rather than 365. I know I can do 52 shots and hopefully some of them will be half decent.

One thing it has done for me is made me less fearful of approaching strangers and asking if I can take a shot. I usually end up chatting to them, getting their name and a little bit of a story to go with the blog post. This one for example is still one of my favourites from the series. If I wasn't doing this project I would probably never have met them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The reason I'm against them, and the reason I disagree with the "if you want to be a pro" notion above, is that you've nowhere to be (that is, a pro doesn't go wandering around taking photos for the sake of it, he has somewhere to be and a goal to achieve whilst there).
    yes, but the point is that you're taking something you really like doing and forcing you to do it whether you're in the mood to or not; i.e. it's an exercise in determining whether something you love could be turned into a chore for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

See, the 52 thing doesn't sound too daunting at all and that 52 @50 thing is definitely not sounding too bad with a full frame. I'd probably go for landscapes rather than people though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Agree with pullandbang...

365 photos are just too many, so fair play to Aafke who made it through her 'green' project and managed to get very good shots of greens pretty much throughout the whole thing.

But rather than going through that I prefer the idea of setting 52 'topics' for myself and dedicate a week to each one of them. I don't feel like I need to get out, take pictures and enjoy myself (that comes naturally with free time) but I would certainly benefit from putting more thought into what I'm actually shooting and what kind of shot I would like to get. And - again as mentioned previously - I would see it as means to get out of my comfort zones and broaden my horizons...

So, to answer the initial question, I would say it depends on what you are after and how much time you are actually able to dedicate to the project...

Whatever you decide to go for, good luck and enjoy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I rambled onto at the concept of 365 photos at the start of 2010 on these forms, and i was interested. i think i got about 4 shots... then lost interest.

I decided to start it up again about 2 weeks ago, and as can be seen from the link below... i "gave up" again about a week ago.

working an 8hr/9hr day and coming home and trying to scramble out before it gets too dark was too much of an inconvience... and ended up walking around the house trying to find shots.
    I'd love to take my camera out at lunch and take a shot or two... but that hasnt happened yet.
    ... oh and i also totally missed the point of "a" photo a day and started uploading several shots !

I might switch over to a 52 type project instead of 365.

Reason i would be interested in doing something like this is an excuse to take that shot. Im at very basic level in my photography so i need the experience more than anything else. learn by doing and all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I use my 365 as a diary for myself and my partner. I love that she is taking an interest and suggesting things for me to take.

I take the time to look back on some of my photos and instantly I would know what I did that day and how that photo represented what was going on in my life at the time. Now and again, I would introduce mini themes inside of it to challenge me. I really like doing mine and it hasn't become a chore at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I started a '365' this year and managed to get to the end of January. By that time, I already had the proverbial big toe, remote control, car passing the house etc. It was a case of desperately searching for anything to shoot which wasn't at all productive. I'd never try it again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

But rather than going through that I prefer the idea of setting 52 'topics' for myself and dedicate a week to each one of them.

Even that seems daunting to me.
    52 different projects over a year is huge. Mine is a doddle by comparison because it's basically one project spread over 52 weeks and I have a week to get one shot without worrying about different themes each week.

What I have found though with my project is the need for LESS gear!
    I now find whenever I go out I stick the nifty fifty on in the hope of getting a shot for my project. In fact myself and the Missus now fight over who gets the nifty 'cos she loves it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

Since only getting myself acquainted to boards yesterday someone pointed me to this thread. And yes, i admit i started a project365 without knowing what i had taken on. I set myself the target of 365greens, which meant no random shooting "just for the cause". It was exhausting, i managed, i survived, but most important: it's there and done. I learned.

picaaf wrote: »
    Since only getting myself acquainted to boards yesterday someone pointed me to this thread. And yes, i admit i started a project365 without knowing what i had taken on. I set myself the target of 365greens, which meant no random shooting "just for the cause". It was exhausting, i managed, i survived, but most important: it's there and done. I learned.

Is it online by any chance?

365 'greens' sounds impossibly hard. I'd be very curious to see what you came up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Is it online by any chance?

365 'greens' sounds impossibly hard. I'd be very curious to see what you came up with.

http://pix.ie/aafke/album/395984

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Theyre just like any other photographic project really, if it's something you want to do, and something you've to a use for - then it will work for you.

Taking it from the flickr/pix/facebook perspective, they might be useful for a beginner who is learning the ropes.
    Or for a more experienced photographer to do something like the greens, or the other links posted in here.

For the beginner, take 30 days learning a certain technique - with the aim being that on the 30th day your shot will make the best possible use of that technique that you can.
    After 360 days you have 12 shots you can be proud of - and five days left to bring it all together and gain another 5 shots to be proud of.

The green project is a fantastic example of someone more experienced really putting their heart into the project.

If you just drop into it without thinking about it, you'll get to day 129 and realise that youve taken more pictures of your neighbours dog that you ever want to and give up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I'm on day 105 of my 365 and yes it can be daunting, challenging and at times frustrating. It can also be very rewarding, I have a number of shots that I am very pleased with.

The thing (I believe) about doing a 365 is that it is a challenging as you make it. Some people do allow themselves the "remote control" or "big toe" shot, for me, if you get to that stage then it's time to stop or perhaps you should never have started in the first place.

Picaaf really set herself a very challenging 365, to capture a shot per day for a year, which met with her theme of "Greens" and from following it, I don't think there is a single shot in there that she didn't put thought into.

Anyone considering a 365 would do well to read nonsequitir's post about having completed his last year, you will find that post here.

I did read it, and it made a lot of sense.

Before embarking on my 365 I decided that in order for it to be worthwhile, I would need to:

1. Consider my shots; that means no off the cuff big toe shots. Each shot has to have thought behind it.

2. Challenge myself with new areas; for me this means trying things that I haven't done before or that I find difficult to do. So far I am succeeding in this, I've done a number of self portraits, the first was the hardest to do. I have done some portraits of others, and like Denis, I have done a number of informal portraits of strangers.

3. Learn from the experience; there is no point in doing all this work if I'm not learning from it, which I believe I am - considering I've been involved in photography on and off for 30 years, it's important to remember that I can always learn something new.

Essentially, I want there to be creativity, thought and honesty involved. As nonsequitir said "Shooting is quite easy, but shooting creatively, with integrity, and doing this consistently, day-in-day-out, is actually incredibly difficult!"

It's not for everyone, if you do one, do consider what you hope to achieve from it, don't expect plain sailing, do expect highs and lows (boy have I had lows), really you only get something from it if you challenge yourself.

My hat is really off to Picaaf for having a consistent theme throughout, I do mini-themes now and then, but sometimes I find having a theme is too constricting on the other hand I have found it helps in planning and in a way makes it more manageable.

So, 105 days in (have yet to take todays shot) I am very pleased to have set myself this challenge, I haven't been as engerised by my photography in a long time. Sure I have some shots I'm not pleased with, but I have some I'm damn pleased about. Just this week I have learned to think, think again and then pick a shot. I picked a shot from a ballet show (my daughter was in) based on composition, and I do think it was well composed - at least others have agreed through comments - but after posting I found that I wished I had used a different a different shot. The carpenter's rule of measure twice cut once really does apply.

In his reflection on his 365 nonsequitir mentions the support he received from family & friends - it is impossible to over state or estimate just how important having support is. I know "My 365" has impacted on my family, my wife and children give me huge support and hardly a day goes by without one of them asking "did you get your 365", I also get great support, inspiration and guidance, from friends in real life and on twitter.

I would encourage anyone interested in photography to try a 365, often when people come to boards and ask about courses etc, they are told - get out a shoot/use your camera - a 365 is taking that advice to the next level, shoot everyday.

Just my 2c, feel free to ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I tried a 365, a month into it we found out my wife was pregnant with our 3rd child. After keeping the 365 going for over 100 days I was forced to call it quits due to too many life distractions.

At the start of the year I decided to do a 52 week project documenting the 1st year of my sons life. My motivations were;
    - To share the whole experience through my blog and the project as well as images etc.. with my family & friends, many of whom have not yet met him or because they all live abroad, only get to see him once or twice a year.
    - To document another one of my kids growing up
    - To share my passion for photography and to complete a photographic project

Having a whole week to pull together a little bit more of his story and some photo's to accompany it makes the whole process so much more pleasing for me. The pressure is off and I can enjoy the experience so much more.

As Dave66 said, I too receive a lot of great support from my friends and this keeps me motivated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Meh.
    I like looking at other's projects, but I'm taking photos for a hobby, and having that kind of constraint would spoil it for me.
    Then again, my tastes and inclinations in photography are changing all the time as I learn, so you wouldn't know, it could grow on me some day. I like the idea of recording the passing of time with photos, that would interest me more than just 365. The colour thing is good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 farwood

hiya!!

I agree to those that take the 365 as a kind of diary....

I also agree when someone says after a 9h job, its hard to figure out any creative scene...
    but I don't think that this is about making the golden shot every day...its just a reflection of your daily life and its ups an down... and after a year....you have a stock of pictures to even analyse if you are satisfied with your life as it is.... where you wasted time.... etc

I think even a glass of wine in front of a flackering tv would be great shot... or a pint in the pub ;) .... its also a way of reflecting all those little details in life that makes your life unique and worth (or not).

yet, i haven't put up a 365... but I#m gonna start one soon.... I#m sure about that :)

Nina

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

[/QUOTE] ...but I#m gonna start one soon.... I#m sure about that :)

Nina[/QUOTE]

I f you consider a 365, make sure you've interested people that will support and follow you. During my green project i noticed the importance of that and it taught me to follow others on their challenge too.
    Supporting someone for 365days or in a 52project is a -rewarding- task in its own right.
    So, let us know when/if you give it a try ❢

p.s. sorry for not getting the quote-thing there the way it should be (newbie me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 farwood

first of all a *high five* to picaaf for beeing a newbie (so am I)

well I will certainly share my results with many of people...friends, fellows, my boyfriend who is also a creative head and is very passionate about photography....

but the aim I see in that challenge of 365.... is the little struggle with yourself. is it even a struggle? I think its kind of meditation.... reflecting ones ambition and sense of beauty....
    i really LOVE that... being on my own, collecting small thing and big moments... and at the end of it, you 'll pass it on as a whole. a whole big kind of artwork...which leaves maybe a bigger impression than giving it piece by piece....

can you see what I mean?

well, I did that when I spent 3 months in UK totally on my own. And I enjoyed it sooooo much. having time for oneself.... when did you spend time wiht YOU last time?? It is so....inspiring to have that little competition with nobody else than yourself.... and absolutely free from other people's impulses and advices....

but of course, its a very individual thing. And its always nice to have a bunch of people encouring yourself and keep you going....
    but there is something to it to do it on your very own...and just make it public after you have finished...

maybe its because I'm used to it because my first kind of art was painting... and even when I was 5 years old, i'd rather spent hours inside alone than playing outside.... and this is what I did, when I grew up: spending a lot of time on my own, for hours, for nights, for days...just me and the painting.... and nothing else.

the experience is special but worth it ;)

we'll see, how its gonna happen.... with or without audience... I'm not quite sure about that.

Nina

Advertisement