Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing windows in apartment

Options
  • 14-04-2011 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi folks

A friend of mine is looking around for an appartment at present but he has a 3 yr old daughter and is concerned about not having any kind of locking device on windows which would be large enough for a small child to climb through. He is wondering if there is any kind of attachment that you could buy from say, a diy store that could secure the windows from being fully opened.

As I understand it the current fire regulations prohibit locks on windows large enough to climb through.

Thanks for your time:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

im sure there are some but Im not aware of them. It shoudl be said any device that will have to be fixed to a window that will damage the window screw marks etc will need written permission from a landlord in advance or your friend will find his deposit dissapearing fast.

if there isnt a device then i guess he could always look at a ground floor apartment as the ebst option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Current regulations require this kind of fastening on windows (below) tell your friend to check if the windows have them... as often they're simply just not hooked into place. They only allow the window to be opened a small amount, but can be unclipped from the outside to allow fire fighters gain access. Or if your friend speciffically looks at newly built apartments the window will have thses types of locks.

SampleFour.gif

Failing that just buy something like this

scan0055__00279_zoom.jpg
    ( http://www.babysecurity.co.uk/products/3080/Home-Guard-Window-Security-0%252D50cm.html )

Advertisement