Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we have an electrical problem?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was setting out to do a little light electrical work on my apartment, nothing overly complex but that's not the issue here anyway. First thing I did was plug in my socket-tester which buzzes if the socket is well-connected. The I went to the jumper-box in the hall to turn off the jumper-switch involved.

To my surprise, I had to turn off two different jumpers to make the buzzing stop (to make the socked go dead). I have checked a few times and if either of the two switches is on the the socket is on. I can easily imagine how this can be done but just wanted to know if it is a problem that needs solving or is it something that may have been intended that way? Or is it a problem but is no big deal?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

perhaps a spur has been brought from another socket circuit, it that's the case it's strange but not a problem.
    What happens when you trip the RCD? I presume then your not getting any power.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spida

Yes, it turns off when I turn off the RCD. What is that for? Tried Googling it and lots of woolly jumpers but no answers? Some lights around the apartment did stay on when I flipped the RCD though, didn't check everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The RCD is just a protective device for your sockets. All lights should stay on when you trip it.
    I'd guess that you just have two two different socket circuits running to the same socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

sounds like the wiring for a ring circuit ****ed up to me. wrong cable in wrong breaker

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Wigster

I agree with evosteo. Do you have the same issue on another circuit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

agree with lads above

ring main probably wired into 2 different mcbs
    need to get them back onto 1
    its probably an electricians job though
    i wouldnt advise removing the cover of the consumer unit
    see if you have the electrical contractors number who did the installation
    its obvious the tests were not carried out correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if that's the case and it's new work -they'd want a kick in the pants

Advertisement