Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT / Software Job prospects in Australia?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Hi

I posted this before on the Australia New Zealand forum but didn't get any feedback so hoping I might get more joy here.

I am just wondering what are the job prospects in Australia in the area of IT / Software Development or even anything basic in this area?

I have a 2:1 BSc (Hons) Degree in Applied Computing and graduated in 2009. I worked for a year doing an internship in this area with company taking me up to August 2010 and have been out of work since then.

Most prospects in Ireland seem to be confined to Dublin which I am not too keen on as I don't know anyone there. I am very keen to travel now when I am young and have many friends who are heading to Oz. I am not the manual type so don't think I would be cut out for fruit picking or physically intensive jobs.

So I'm wondering what prospects are in such an area and what are the best areas?

Would you need to travel out there first or is lining up a job first a possibility?

Any help or feedback would be great.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hi,

I don't know much about jobs in Oz but where in Ireland would you be looking to find a job and in what technologies?

I'm looking to move jobs at the moment (have 6yrs experience so it will be a senior role) and there seems to be a few things happening in many areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

Hi,

I don't know much about jobs in Oz but where in Ireland would you be looking to find a job and in what technologies?

I'm looking to move jobs at the moment (have 6yrs experience so it will be a senior role) and there seems to be a few things happening in many areas.
    Hi

I am not really keen on Dublin but Galway Sligo Donegal are all areas I wouldn't mind.

Yeah there does seem to be some opportunities out there. I have had a few interviews. Currently waiting to hear back on one. It just difficult to get that first permanent role I feel when there is such competition

I will keep trying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

If I hear of any junior positions around that neck of the country I'll send you a PM.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Super_Sonic, you hear of any entry-level (web) developer positions in Dublin, let me know too :) I've got (to varying degrees of competency): HTML, CSS, JavaScript/jQuery/AJAX, PHP, SQL, Java...

Been looking for a jnr/graduate position for the last few months. I've got 7 months' experience in a related role (in Sydney), and a portfolio.

OP -- I was in Australia last year, and the main recruitment website is www.seek.com.au, so have a look there for positions advertised. I'd recommend Melbourne over Sydney, FYI ;)

If I hear of any junior positions around that neck of the country I'll send you a PM.

Best of luck.

Thanks

Appreciate that

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Super_Sonic, you hear of any entry-level (web) developer positions in Dublin, let me know too :) I've got (to varying degrees of competency): HTML, CSS, JavaScript/jQuery/AJAX, PHP, SQL, Java...

Been looking for a jnr/graduate position for the last few months. I've got 7 months' experience in a related role (in Sydney), and a portfolio.

OP -- I was in Australia last year, and the main recruitment website is www.seek.com.au, so have a look there for positions advertised. I'd recommend Melbourne over Sydney, FYI ;)
    Hi, thanks for that link.

Can I ask did you find much difficulty in getting a position out there? Would interviews be tough out there etc?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hi, thanks for that link.

Can I ask did you find much difficulty in getting a position out there? Would interviews be tough out there etc?

Cheers
    I did actually struggle. Must have applied for 150 or so jobs, in all sectors (mainly warehousing actually, because there were plenty of those jobs and I have experience), and I only got one interview :( Luckily I got that job, and it was related to the work I wanna do, so good experience. Took me about 2 months to get a job. I also got lucky in that the company (or rather my manager) was not too familiar with working holiday visas, so they didn't know that I could technically only work for them for 6 months! From friends, etc., though the interviews are not particularly strenuous -- just like here really. Neither myself nor my mates were asked for proof of our degrees either.

I'd recommend you embelish your CV a bit tbh. I think my honesty probably went against me!

This is in Sydney BTW. Could be different in Melbourne or Perth. Although Sydney seems to be the main city for IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Was just going to post a similar thread. Have a job in Dublin myself but really fancy a change of scene. My background is in .Net (C# mainly), have up-skilled to 4.0 etc and have 6 years commercial experience after studying up to Masters level in university. I had a quick look in Dublin and have been offered a few interviews but am not overly impressed with the companies themselves.

Anyway, I would really like to move abroad for a year or 2 and work there. My apartment lease isn't up until November, so I have plenty of time but can anyone give me any pointers on how to go about finding jobs in Australia. London would also be an option for me.

COYW wrote: »
    Was just going to post a similar thread. Have a job in Dublin myself but really fancy a change of scene. My background is in .Net (C# mainly), have up-skilled to 4.0 etc and have 6 years commercial experience after studying up to Masters level in university. I had a quick look in Dublin and have been offered a few interviews but am not overly impressed with the companies themselves.

Anyway, I would really like to move abroad for a year or 2 and work there. My apartment lease isn't up until November, so I have plenty of time but can anyone give me any pointers on how to go about finding jobs in Australia. London would also be an option for me.
    London is in fact another location I'm strongly considering. Any feedback on it would be great for me also, also wondering are graduate opportunites good there?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Eniac

I'd be interested in finding out if I qualify for a visa. Job prospects seem to be good over there. Can anyone recommend a visa company?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Eniac wrote: »
    I'd be interested in finding out if I qualify for a visa. Job prospects seem to be good over there. Can anyone recommend a visa company?

I was considering a move to Australia last year and I found a forum called "Poms in Oz". It's obviously probably heavily biased towards our English friends but visa wise they'd be in the same boat as us and I found a few recommendations for migration agents on that site. I haven't used any of the migration agents myself to process a visa but you might want to check that formum out. They also have a lot of other information in general about moving there etc.

www.pomsinoz.com

This is one crowd I was speaking to a while back as well when I was considering moving to Oz. I never actually went through with an application but they might be worth checking out.

http://www.overseas-emigration.co.uk/

Anyway like all these places, I'd take what they say with a pinch of salt. It's best to shop around and try to get feedback from people who've actually used their services and find out whether they got a visa in the end. You can do all the paperwork yourself but I think the authorities can be a bit nit picky if everything isn't 100% accurate. Obviously the migration agents can make mistakes too but if you're not confident that you'd be able to get all the documentation together and the application correct (like myself), it might be worth using one. Plus you are paying them to do it right and know what they are doing so any mistakes aren't really acceptable.

The australia government immigration website (www.immi.gov.au) is a good source of information and you can probably work out from that whether you qualify for any of the visa's. It's good to have this information to avoid being scammed by some unscruplous migration agent who says you can get visa x or y when you know for a fact that's not the case.

I lived in Australia for a year on a working holiday visa and it is a nice place to live. I spent most of my year in Sydney and the weather is fantastic. It was great waking up every morning and not even needing to think about what the weather was going to be like as it was almost always the same, blue skies and sunshine. I've since considered going back but at the moment it's not an option for me financially.

Also if I had a choice, I'd rather go back and live and work in the US. However it's even harder to get a visa there!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There are a number of software jobs in Galway at the moment - or there were in the past few weeks.
    HP are looking for a range of software heads as are Avaya (who bought Nortel)
    There are also a few smaller companies looking for software people. I have never seen IT jobs so buoyant in Galway to be honest - you might be able to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Eniac

G-Money wrote: »
    I was considering a move to Australia last year and I found a forum called "Poms in Oz". It's obviously probably heavily biased towards our English friends but visa wise they'd be in the same boat as us and I found a few recommendations for migration agents on that site. I haven't used any of the migration agents myself to process a visa but you might want to check that formum out. They also have a lot of other information in general about moving there etc.

www.pomsinoz.com

This is one crowd I was speaking to a while back as well when I was considering moving to Oz. I never actually went through with an application but they might be worth checking out.

http://www.overseas-emigration.co.uk/

Anyway like all these places, I'd take what they say with a pinch of salt. It's best to shop around and try to get feedback from people who've actually used their services and find out whether they got a visa in the end. You can do all the paperwork yourself but I think the authorities can be a bit nit picky if everything isn't 100% accurate. Obviously the migration agents can make mistakes too but if you're not confident that you'd be able to get all the documentation together and the application correct (like myself), it might be worth using one. Plus you are paying them to do it right and know what they are doing so any mistakes aren't really acceptable.

The australia government immigration website (www.immi.gov.au) is a good source of information and you can probably work out from that whether you qualify for any of the visa's. It's good to have this information to avoid being scammed by some unscruplous migration agent who says you can get visa x or y when you know for a fact that's not the case.

I lived in Australia for a year on a working holiday visa and it is a nice place to live. I spent most of my year in Sydney and the weather is fantastic. It was great waking up every morning and not even needing to think about what the weather was going to be like as it was almost always the same, blue skies and sunshine. I've since considered going back but at the moment it's not an option for me financially.

Also if I had a choice, I'd rather go back and live and work in the US. However it's even harder to get a visa there!

Cheers for that. Have been on to one or two visa companys already and as you say they're keen to process my application and 'get me out there as quick as possible'. If I was entitled to a proper visa I think the process would be fairly slow but worth it in the end. Did the working visa myself for a year and loved every minute of it.
    kippy wrote: »
    There are a number of software jobs in Galway at the moment - or there were in the past few weeks.
    There are also a few smaller companies looking for software people. I have never seen IT jobs so buoyant in Galway to be honest - you might be able to get one.

Heard about these jobs but they seemed to be very Java based. Unfortunately my commercial experience doesn't seem to match what they're looking for (Avaya anyhow, maybe HP might be different). One of those companies would suit me perfect as I'm based in Galway. Keen to get going properly with my software career. Does seem to be a lot of jobs out there. Maybe I need to revisit my CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

London is in fact another location I'm strongly considering. Any feedback on it would be great for me also, also wondering are graduate opportunites good there?

Cheers

I got a graduate program in London without much hassle. From what I hear there is plenty of work in IT over there. I emailed a CV to the HR dept of the company (Investment Bank) and they flew me over and put me up for the night before the interview and rang me within 24 hours with the offer. (Background: Bsc. in Computer Science & currently pursuing a Masters in IS)

I've had friends who are already over there tell me their companies are recruiting (IT dev & IT Consulting) so I would say London is a good bet.
    kippy wrote: »

I interviewed for Cisco in Galway last year for a testing position. The interview was tough enough but the staff were really nice and relaxed. I didn't get the role I was going for but they rang me back with an offer of a different role. I had already accepted a place in the masters I'm doing so I didn't take it and they were sound about it and asked to get in touch when I finished the course as they would probably be hiring come June 2011

x43r0 wrote: »
    I got a graduate program in London without much hassle. From what I hear there is plenty of work in IT over there. I emailed a CV to the HR dept of the company (Investment Bank) and they flew me over and put me up for the night before the interview and rang me within 24 hours with the offer. (Background: Bsc. in Computer Science & currently pursuing a Masters in IS)

I've had friends who are already over there tell me their companies are recruiting (IT dev & IT Consulting) so I would say London is a good bet.

Hi

Thanks for your response. Yeah I am seriously considering London now. Oz is defo something I wanna do in the future but maybe London would be a better option until I get a little more experience and finance.

Would you know what the best way to go about it is? Such as any good recruitment agencies that could get you graduate work?

I am not too fussy on wages yet. If I was only breaking even at the end of every week for now just so I can gain the experience and get that first role. Is London a costly place to live?

Cheers

Hi

Thanks for your response. Yeah I am seriously considering London now. Oz is defo something I wanna do in the future but maybe London would be a better option until I get a little more experience and finance.

Would you know what the best way to go about it is? Such as any good recruitment agencies that could get you graduate work?

I am not too fussy on wages yet. If I was only breaking even at the end of every week for now just so I can gain the experience and get that first role. Is London a costly place to live?

Cheers

I couldn't really comment on recruitment agencies as I've never used one. I'm sure someone else here would be able to answer though.

I just contacted companies directly or applied through the careers section of their sites. If you target the right company, if you are suited to the job you applied for and if your CV (or the info you supplied) is up to scratch then you'd be surprised how many responses you get

As for cost of living, I don't know tbh as I havn't moved over yet. Starting in July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Thanks for this feedback. I have an interview coming up for a company in Dublin with it's hub in London. Will be applying directly to companies in London in the coming months.

I started a new thread with regards to London http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71931505#post71931505 since I had started this one initially on the subject of Oz.

Still in two minds what to do but gonna try and get as much advice as I can on both options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

OP this recruitment agency might help you find a position in London- they specifically deal with graduate recruitment
    http://www.grb.uk.com/

RATM wrote: »
    OP this recruitment agency might help you find a position in London- they specifically deal with graduate recruitment
    http://www.grb.uk.com/

Cheers

Thank you very much for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 balcony swimmer

x43r0, just wondering did you have any experience in the banking industry, or was this not an issue for them in hiring you ? weighing up my options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Cheers

You don't fancy Dublin because you "don't know anyone there" yet you would consider working in the jungle that is London ????

You don't fancy Dublin because you "don't know anyone there" yet you would consider working in the jungle that is London ????

Well I know some people in London but I am actually considering Dublin now.

x43r0, just wondering did you have any experience in the banking industry, or was this not an issue for them in hiring you ? weighing up my options

No experience whatsoever

Advertisement