Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does a hooker cost in Galway?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hello everybody from Lancaster, England

I'm coming to Galway later this year for a few days and being a real ale fan I'm keen to try the local brew, Galway Hooker.

I've been on their website and it's available in quite a few pubs in the City, but can someone give me an idea of how much I should expect to pay for a pint of it? I'm sorry if you're sick to death of this question from foreigners, but a lot of the answers are either a) out of date or b) concentrate on lager and Guinness.

Many thanks in advance

Cliff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Around €4 I think I paid recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Bull and castle Dublin sell it Monday to Thursday for 4 euro I believe along with a few other Irish craft beer

http://www.fxbrestaurants.com/bullcastle/home.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 loobycliff

buck65 wrote: »
    Around €4 I think I paid recently.

Thanks - where was that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

oblivious wrote:
    Bull and castle Dublin sell it Monday to Thursday for 4 euro I believe along with a few other Irish craft beer
    Not much good if you're in Galway, though.

OP, somewhere between €4 and €5.
    loobycliff wrote: »
    I'm coming to Galway later this year for a few days and being a real ale fan I'm keen to try the local brew, Galway Hooker.
    For an even-more-local brew, check out Bay Lager and Bay Ale at The Oslo brewpub in Salthill. They're also sold at The Salt House in Galway City. Both have Hooker as well, of course, and The Salt House is probably the only pub Galway which has Real Ale on tap: probably from Dungarvan Brewing, White Gypsy or one of the others.

BeerNut wrote: »
    For an even-more-local brew, check out Bay Lager and Bay Ale at The Oslo brewpub in Salthill. They're also sold at The Salt House in Galway City. Both have Hooker as well, of course, and The Salt House is probably the only pub Galway which has Real Ale on tap: probably from Dungarvan Brewing, White Gypsy or one of the others.

Great, thanks - I was going to head down to Salthill and kick the wall - if that's still the custom! Good to know there's the Oslo on the way back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Kick the wall. Still the custom. On April fools day they said they were going to take away the wall because they found it was listing to one side from people kicking it. They also said the diving boards were sinking. People will believe anything. :rolleyes:

I was in the Oslo about an hour ago. Honestly you will be spoilt for choice. Head down the back and have a look at the Brewing room.

Have a look at the new Peroni tap. Most people despise Peroni and claim it to be full of chemicals and whatnot but the Tap/Font is pretty cool looking. :D

The Cottage in Lower Salthill(same ownership) also has a great beer menu and a great food menu(similar to Oslo).

For me, save for having food, hit the Salthouse. I'm parked outside right now. :D Great location ,great atmosphere and great beers.

BTW, I bet you were dying to use that thread title for ages weren't you. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Saermegil

definitely a case of someone thinking up a title first and then fleshed out the actual post. might actually not even care how much the beer costs, but wanted to use the title!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Maybe 3.50 / 3.80 on special offer in Bierhaus.

I think 3.75 in the Salthouse.

But i could be wrong - it could well be 4.25.

Berty - does it have any handpumps? I only ask because a quick look at Google images shows a rather electronic set of dispensers, but your info is obviously first hand knowledge. Not that it matters that much - nothing wrong with good bottled beer, but it's handpump real ale I'm ideally looking for.

Saemergil - it was serendipity! I typed in "real ale galway" and I got a page about a hooker.

Thanks for the prices Geuze. Lowest corporation tax in EU yet highest beer prices outside Norway. Someone's coining it in over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Berty - does it have any handpumps?

The Salt House is the only pub in Galway which has ale on pump.

• Advertisement

Before Bay Brewery got its kegging system running last year, the Oslo served its house beers directly from the conditioning tanks, piped under the floor from the brewery to the bar, making it Real Ale. I don't know if they're still using that system in the pub. I doubt anyone cares, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

its brewed in roscommon aswell, not in galway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Handpumps and hookers-ooooh matron.

Thanks for the prices Geuze. Lowest corporation tax in EU yet highest beer prices outside Norway. Someone's coining it in over there!

Hmm, I'm not so sure.

Brussels - I paid 2.00 euro or mor for 25cl. That is 4.55 per pint.

Paris - the lowest I paid was 4.00 for 50cl, i.e. 4.50 per pint, and I had to search for that pub.

Paris - 5.00-6.00 for 50cl is common.

Amsterdam - again, I think 2.00 for 25cl is a typical price??? That's 4.55 per pint.

Check the menu of In De Wildeman - it's 2.60 for 25cl, that's 5.90 per pint.

http://www.indewildeman.nl/index.php?lang=nl&page=1

Germany - yes, prices tend to be lower in Germany.

Koln city centre = 1.55 for 20cl kolsch = 4.40 per pint.

Koln suburbs = 1.10 for 20cl kolsch = 3.12 per pint.

Rural Franconia (beer heaven) = 2.00 for 50cl

My key point: at 3.50-4.00, pints of typical beer in Ireland are not priced out of line with most other European countries.

Lowest corporation tax in EU
    Third-highest excise duty rate with high VAT charged on it, high wages, high rents, astronomical public liability insurance and an archaic licensing system which presents a massive financial barrier to entry into the pub trade.

Frankly it's a wonder than anywhere even takes something like Galway Hooker -- a beer with no mass-media advertising campaign behind it -- on in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Nice price comparison there Geuze.
    Geuze wrote: »

Rural Franconia (beer heaven) = 2.00 for 50cl

I don't remember Bamberg being that cheap, but very cheap all the same (~3 euro per 50cl). Im sure as you travel away from Bamberg into more rural areas it prob gets cheaper.

What a place though, I concur with beer heaven!!!:)

I need to return there soon.

flas wrote: »
    its brewed in roscommon aswell, not in galway!

So it is. They don't say that on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

buck65 wrote: »
    Handpumps and hookers-ooooh matron.

just made me give a big guffaw across the office...

Geuze wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm not so sure.

My key point: at 3.50-4.00, pints of typical beer in Ireland are not priced out of line with most other European countries.

Thanks for the prices, that's interesting. [Makes note to keep an eye out for cheap flights to Nuremburg].

You've got to bear in mind of course that the kind of stuff you're probably going to find in those places is a darn sight stronger than typical Irish and English bitter. I remember feeling a bit miffed many years ago when I started going to Brittany on hols and got presented with what looked like a serving OK for a midget. Then I tried standing up after four or five of them!

You've got to bear in mind of course that the kind of stuff you're probably going to find in those places is a darn sight stronger than typical Irish and English bitter.
    And indeed that the higher ABV of Irish beer is one of the reasons it looks expensive to a visitor from the UK. We have very few sub-4% ABV beers (unfortunately), and every increment in strength means more tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Hello everybody from Lancaster, England

I've been on their website and it's available in quite a few pubs in the City, but can someone give me an idea of how much I should expect to pay for a pint of it? I'm sorry if you're sick to death of this question from foreigners, but a lot of the answers are either a) out of date or b) concentrate on lager and Guinness.

Many thanks in advance

Cliff
    hi loobycliff i live 11 miles down the road from you,last week i was in the hawkeshead brewery hall in staveley neer kendal,they had galway hooker on tap,i think is was selling at £1.50 a pint

getz wrote: »
    hi loobycliff i live 11 miles down the road from you,last week i was in the hawkeshead brewery hall in staveley neer kendal,they had galway hooker on tap,i think is was selling at £1.50 a pint

Hello, yes, Knott End! We use that ferry once in a blue moon.

1.50? Are you sure that's not a typo?

Hello, yes, Knott End! We use that ferry once in a blue moon.

1.50? Are you sure that's not a typo?
    cannot be that sure of that price,i did not buy it,but you should find it at any timothy taylor pub[yorkshire brewer] as they brew it in england,you were lucky to use that ferry,it stop when the tide is out and when there is a wind.

you should find it at any timothy taylor pub[yorkshire brewer] as they brew it in england
    Um... You sure about that?

I'm heading more and more off-topic, but read this to find 50cl beer for 1.80 in rural Franconia.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/06/munich-to-buttenheim.html

Loewenbraeukeller.jpg

"We've two choices. St. Georgenbräukeller, up the hill; Löwenbräukeller just over the road. I'm sweatily hot and gagging for a beer. No way I'm walking up that effing hill.

They're selling Kellierbier, logically enough. Straight out of a barrel. The first one magically disappears into the pool of sweat that used to be my body.

"Do you want another, Mike?" I don't wait for a reply. There's no queue at the beer counter. And I'm counting on getting another beer quickly.

"1.80 for half a litre? The robbing bastards."

After two I've cooled enough for Mike to be able to persuade me to walk up to St. Georgenbräu. I won't try to describe the view. To do it an injustice with words like stunning or breathtaking. I breathe it in. Deep green breaths of countryside. Deep soothing breaths. And all the rush, all the sweat, all the annoyance are gone. I'm as happy as I've been in months. Calm, content and 100% on holiday."

Um... You sure about that?
    type up,canal and riverside pub guide,and then link breweries in england scotland and wales,scroll down to galway hooker,and bingo

bingo
    That's one list of breweries in two columns, 1648 - Juwards and Kelburn - Zerodegrees.

And it's out of date. 3 Rivers is long gone, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Treadhead wrote: »
    The Salt House is the only pub in Galway which has ale on pump.

slightly off topic but Porterouse North are trying to serve cask Blcakrock without a pump. They just have a little tap which results in a flat beer with absolutely no head. Absolutely awful. They are doing an injustice to such a great stout.

redlead wrote: »
    slightly off topic but Porterouse North are trying to serve cask Blcakrock without a pump.
    Temple Bar you mean? It is possible to have perfectly good beers served on gravity like that, but they do need to be more fastidious about the condition than the Porterhouse is. That said, I had had Helvick Gold from that cask once and it was beautiful, but just one of a litany of flat pints over the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Temple Bar you mean? It is possible to have perfectly good beers served on gravity like that, but they do need to be more fastidious about the condition than the Porterhouse is. That said, I had had Helvick Gold from that cask once and it was beautiful, but just one of a litany of flat pints over the last few years.

No it was Porterhouse North in Phibsborough. I had it in the Porterhouse Central too where it was lovely because they have the proper pump (much better in against the grain though). Helvick Gold is the only one of the three I have not had on cask yet, where did you get it out of interest? I'm a big fan of the bottle.

Advertisement