Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've had enough of Gomes

Options
  • 14-04-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Saves the impossible ones
    Lets in the easy ones
    You never know which Gomes is gonna turn up

He can't be relied upon in big games. It's a shame, because I love the "good" Gomes, but he can't seem to control the "mad" Gomes.

We need better I'm afraid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Saves the impossible ones
    Lets in the easy ones
    You never know which Gomes is gonna turn up

He can't be relied upon in big games. It's a shame, because I love the "good" Gomes, but he can't seem to control the "mad" Gomes.

We need better I'm afraid.

+1 too many crap mistakes during his time at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

At least he drives a car, not a bike :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

+2 he has to go. ill b sad to see him go but he isnt good enough for top level. u need a top number 1 to be competitive and he makes too many mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭gar

Would Given be an option or getting old and will prob just look to cash pay cheques at ManC?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd love Given, but City won't sell him to us. I still say he's the most consistant keeper in the premiership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

when gomes is good he is awesome but when he is bad he is embarrassing.

i think if we are realistic about champions league and league contenders we need consistancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭van der vart

weigh up the good against the bad, think he saved us a lot more points than he lost us:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

luv the guy , he's a top keeper , said it from day 1 and il keep saying it

BERBA wrote: »

Top keepers make very few errors, he has made far too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd love Given, but City won't sell him to us. I still say he's the most consistant keeper in the premiership.

Behind VDS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Would Akinfeev be a good option? I don't trust Gomes anymore. I think Cudicini should be given a run if he is fit again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭van der vart

flyswatter wrote: »
    Would Akinfeev be a good option? I don't trust Gomes anymore. I think Cudicini should be given a run if he is fit again.

Agree, he gets forgotten about, good call

Agree, he gets forgotten about, good call

Great keeper, I'd say he'd cost a bomb though as he plays for a top Russian club and they have plenty of money. Don't think Abramovich would like him moving to Spurs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

weigh up the good against the bad, think he saved us a lot more points than he lost us:confused:

Yes, but there are plenty of 'keepers who could save as much points without making as many mistakes as Gomes does.

BERBA wrote: »

how can you say that? a top keeper makes one mistake a season. gomes makes one a month. he is far from a top keeper

As silly as this may sound, I'd play Gomes between now and the end of the season, as he is the best keeper we have, Cudicini is crap, and then get working on a new no 1 in the summer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has Pletikosa ever been given a run? He's wasted as a third-choice.

No, and I dont think this is the time to either.

Yeah, has he ever played? I've heard he's a pretty good keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

ye id love if we could snap up given! but as its been said, city wont sell him to us. its getting harder to find a quality keeper, i think united will have a bit of trouble trying to replace vds. it wont be easy, but we need someone new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

He can't be relied upon in big games.

Arsenal and Chelsea at end of last season?

City away last season?

Arsenal away this season?

Both Milan games?

Arsenal and Chelsea at end of last season?

City away last season?

Arsenal away this season?

Both Milan games?

No doubt he was very good in all of the mentioned games, but do you not think that he makes too many mistakes over the course of a season ?

Chelsea at home kind of summed him up back in December, shocking for Drogba's goal, gives away a peno. and then saves it and in a way went from villain to hero in some eyes !

This is not something that has just happened recently. Remember Udinese and Shakhtar. The fact that there is just as many mistakes to remember as there is days when he was heroic is not right.

Don't get me wrong, we will find it hard to get a top keeper, there is not too many around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hatch99 wrote: »
    No doubt he was very good in all of the mentioned games, but do you not think that he makes too many mistakes over the course of a season ?

Chelsea at home kind of summed him up back in December, shocking for Drogba's goal, gives away a peno. and then saves it and in a way went from villain to hero in some eyes !

This is not something that has just happened recently. Remember Udinese and Shakhtar. The fact that there is just as many mistakes to remember as there is days when he was heroic is not right.

Don't get me wrong, we will find it hard to get a top keeper, there is not too many around.

I suppose I should explain the subtext of my post John.

Shane is a huge fan of Harry (as he is entitled to be) and draws attention to his achievements in deflecting criticism of him as a manager. I'd go so far as to say Shane will not brook any criticism of Harry at all.

I on the other hand am a little concerned at our performances against the lower ranked teams in the league, and think legitimate question can be asked about why we don't perform better. I think our record vs the bottom six is atrocious.

That doesn't mean I want Harry fúcked out or anything.

I do think it is interesting to note that since the start of last season we have averaged 1.78 Points Per Game (PPG) in the PL.

With Gomes in goal we manage 1.84 PPG
    With Cudicini in goal we manage 1.5 PPG

I don't subscribe to the argument that Gomes saves you more points than he loses: it is his job to save shots on target, so failing to perform in that task should be questioned.

If we can find better then I'd happily settle for Gomes being dropped, but I will say this: if we were putting away our chances at the other end of the field maybe our opposition might not be as under pressure during games as we have been this season. I also think our "lump it long to whoever is up front, even it if is Defoe on his own" approach surrenders possession too often.

But then I think everything can be questioned to some degree...

Sorry Shane ;):p

I suppose I should explain the subtext of my post John.

Shane is a huge fan of Harry (as he is entitled to be) and draws attention to his achievements in deflecting criticism of him as a manager. I'd go so far as to say Shane will not brook any criticism of Harry at all.

I on the other hand am a little concerned at our performances against the lower ranked teams in the league, and think legitimate question can be asked about why we don't perform better. I think our record vs the bottom six is atrocious.

That doesn't mean I want Harry fúcked out or anything.

I do think it is interesting to note that since the start of last season we have averaged 1.78 Points Per Game (PPG) in the PL.

With Gomes in goal we manage 1.84 PPG
    With Cudicini in goal we manage 1.5 PPG

I don't subscribe to the argument that Gomes saves you more points than he loses: it is his job to save shots on target, so failing to perform in that task should be questioned.

If we can find better then I'd happily settle for Gomes being dropped, but I will say this: if we were putting away our chances at the other end of the field maybe our opposition might not be as under pressure during games as we have been this season. I also think our "lump it long to whoever is up front, even it if is Defoe on his own" approach surrenders possession too often.

But then I think everything can be questioned to some degree...

Sorry Shane ;):p

The Harry debate is probably for another day maybe. I for one am certainly not his biggest fan as I have stated many times. I acknowledge his work at Spurs which has been very good but as a whole, I have several issues with him.

Yes, the case of not putting away our chances at the other end does stand up, and the idea of throwing balls long to whoever drives me mad, but that is all linked to the manager and how he sets up and advises his players. Tactically to a certain extent , we are one dimensional, and that's a major issue I have with the manager. His ability or inability to adapt to different games/situations has cost us in my opinion.

I told you this would turn in to a Harry debate :D

As for the keeper, he is too inconsistent. In saying that, people could point out that Arsenal haven't had a keeper in years and have been doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

As for the keeper, he is too inconsistent. In saying that, people could point out that Arsenal haven't had a keeper in years and have been doing ok.

agree, Gomes is a good keeper but far from world class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

We've seen Gomes in action for 3 seasons now. I think this is long enough for us to make a fair balanced assessment.

In 08 I was convinced that he would overcome his dogey start, and I was delighted for him when he did. Last season I reckon he was in with a good shout of being our player of the season.

However, bit by bit his form has been dropping since the heights of last season. And I have to admit that my paitence has run out. The problem is, he doesn't do mistakes, he does massive howlers.

For me the bottom line is that I don't trust him anymore and I think we need better. I have always thought that the GK is the most important position in the team.

If he stays, I hope he proves me wrong. But I have lost faith in him. Last Wed was so stupid, how can he be so rubbish one minute and unbeleivable the next. I don't have the nerves to cope with his yo-yo form anymore. GKs need to be the coolest players on the field, if they are not the whole team is effected.

Sorry Gomes, you gotta go, I don't trust you anymore.

(As for Harry, would be delighted to debate his situation anytime) :)

For me the bottom line is that I don't trust him anymore and I think we need better.

More importantly, the back 4 are most likely losing faith im him which can cause more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

More importantly, the back 4 are most likely losing faith im him which can cause more problems.

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

mickman wrote: »
    how can you say that? a top keeper makes one mistake a season. gomes makes one a month. he is far from a top keeper

Images of Gomes coming out, attempting to claim the ball coming in from corners/free kicks/crosses and flapping uselessly as he misses is hardly the act that inspires confidence in any defence. Although we don't concede as much in comparison to seasons past, we still concede a lot.

• Advertisement

this is for certain. sometimes when the ball comes back and dawson is going for it , u can see him shout at gomes and do all he can to stop gomes coming for it. its like he is talking to a child or something. i dont think daws has any faith in him

but as someone else said its the vdv and up front problem that is a much larger issue. if we play 4-4-2 wed night with defoe and pav then i think we will win but with vdv and one up top then we will draw

Advertisement