Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've had enough of Gomes

Options

Comments

Desire. wrote: »
    To be honest, I think Tottenham will be lucky to finish fifth at this stage.
    Which shows how much you know about things when we want to finish either 4th or 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

I have defended Gomes to the hilt but last Sat was the point when I just thought I can't anymore. In my opinion we've nothing to lose now. I'd bring in Pletikosa for the rest of the season and give him a run out. He can't do any worse....I hope!!!

Manic087 wrote: »
    I have defended Gomes to the hilt but last Sat was the point when I just thought I can't anymore. In my opinion we've nothing to lose now. I'd bring in Pletikosa for the rest of the season and give him a run out. He can't do any worse....I hope!!!

Have you read this:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6915673,00.html

He must be truly awful! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

Have you read this:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6915673,00.html

He must be truly awful! :D

Jesus...talk about a bad time for me to stick in an opinion ha ha!!

Cheers for that mate!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/245223/Heurelho-Gomes-will-stay-as-Tottenham-No1-says-Harry-Redknapp

Harry makes a good point about the fans getting behind him not on his back, we have some complete dunderheads who prefer to slag off our own rather than show some support.

I do wonder would Sandra have saved Lampard's shot though?

And I'd have to question how we've taken in two keepers since Redknapp came in and neither are trusted enough to replace Gomes in goal...who decided they would be good business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/245223/Heurelho-Gomes-will-stay-as-Tottenham-No1-says-Harry-Redknapp

Harry makes a good point about the fans getting behind him not on his back, we have some complete dunderheads who prefer to slag off our own rather than show some support.

I do wonder would Sandra have saved Lampard's shot though?

And I'd have to question how we've taken in two keepers since Redknapp came in and neither are trusted enough to replace Gomes in goal...who decided they would be good business?

I agree with the point that the fans at the game must get behind him and not give him stick, but that doesn't disguise the fact that we need a new keeper in the summer.

p.s. I heard Sandra is good in the air but not great with her hands :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

He can be class at times and crap at others. You need consistency. I think Given would be great.

If Spurs want to be a regular Top 4 club, something I think you are only a few players short of (a top striker mainly and another top defender) you need a good keeper who can be relied on.

I cant think of any other keeper playing for an English club who could do the job (last season I would have said Burnleys keeper he played great, but is not good enough really). One keeper which could do the job would be Rangers keeper Allan McGregor, he is pretty good I hear.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Haven't seen Given play in ages, not convinced he'd be any better than Gomes tbh

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

When Gomes was at PSV he had a dodgy 1st 6 months.
    After that he was solid as a rock, never made mistakes like he does now at Spurs.
    I have no clue about the keepers training he gets at Spurs but i have seen at my own favourites in Holland, Feyenoord, what a great keepers trainer can do for a keeper.
    All i know Gomes had a very good trainer at PSV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Sorry, but he hasn't managed to eradicate the howlers over a 3 year period.
    He can't be trusted anymore.
    Thanks for (some of) the memories but we need to Get Rid

• Advertisement

He can't be trusted anymore.
    Thanks for (some of) the memories but we need to Get Rid
    I wouldn't be surprised if he messes up again today. If I was Blackpool I'd be shooting at every opportunity. Also after reading this:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11675_6917967,00.html

I fear Heurelho may have some compromising pictures of Harry hidden away somewhere.....possibly with a lawyer waiting to be sent to the media if he gets dropped! :D

That's not entirely true Shane, he was very solid from the time he regained his place from Cudicini until this season.

This is a mental issue with Gomes, his state of mind and the coaching he receives could make a difference again. We do need to have trusted competition on the bench to keep him on his toes however.

inforfun wrote: »
    When Gomes was at PSV he had a dodgy 1st 6 months.
    After that he was solid as a rock, never made mistakes like he does now at Spurs.
    I have no clue about the keepers training he gets at Spurs but i have seen at my own favourites in Holland, Feyenoord, what a great keepers trainer can do for a keeper.
    All i know Gomes had a very good trainer at PSV.

All good points, IIRC he had 60% clean sheets in his time at PSV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

It could also just be the fact that Gomes isn't suited to the premiership . Sometimes he comes for crosses, other times he dosent . Surely his coach at spurs should tell him to come for them or not. He can be very indecisive I feel . When drogba hit the long range free kick the last day , Gomes seemed to freak out when he saw the Chelsea players coming towards him and he made a shocking punch into the ground. Maybe that kind of play didn't happen in holland but if he hasn't adapted by now then he is not going to adapt . To be a top keeper in premiership you have to be ready to put your body on the line and suffer bad injuries, I don't think Gomes feels he wants to put himself in those positions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

All you can do is laugh, poor spurs and poor spurs fans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

the 2 penno insodent today sums the man up

Hero for the save of the 1st penno, villan 30 secs later for the consession of the 2nd penno. Absolute classic Gomes

The man is just too unpridectible for me

goalkeeping is all about stability and having a cool head
    I'm sorry but Gomes is neither of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

OptaJoe Opta Sports
    4 - Since the start of last season, no player has given away more penalty kicks in the Premier League than Heurelho Gomes (4). Calamity.

Sums it all up I suppose.

This is a mental issue with Gomes,

I disagree. Being unable to catch a ball thats coming straight at you is not a mental issue, it's just crap goalkeeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

Saying on COYS we are in for Given

h2005 wrote: »
    Saying on COYS we are in for Given
    I thought Man City wouldn't sell players to us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

I thought Man City wouldn't sell players to us?

Me too maybe they don`t see us as a threat anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Would you not be better off signing a younger goalkeeper as Given is nearing the end of his career?

It's a pity the signing of Asmir Begovic fell through a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

Has there not "rumours" about Foster from Birmingham ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Desire. wrote: »
    Would you not be better off signing a younger goalkeeper as Given is nearing the end of his career?

Only 35, good for a few more years. I'd get him in an instant if we had the chance.

Gomes simply must be sold this summer and Pletikosa given a chance.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Gomes simply must be sold this summer.
    Who in their right mind would buy him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Who in their right mind would buy him?

back to holland, he has said many times he wants to return to there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Have to agree that Gomes needs to go. But replacements? I don't think Cudicini is good enough any more for the #1 shirt, and Pleitikosa (sp?) is unproven.

Rob Green, Ben Foster maybe? I don't like Green (being a Spammer and that) and Foster seems to constantly b*ll*ck his team-mates, nearly a bit too much.

My choice would be Craig Gordon. Given would be a good stopgap for a season or three, but don't think Citeh would sell. If we could get Gordon, that'd be an improvement.

Very little talk of Gomes leaving bar the PSV rumours that seem to have died away. Surely this guy is not going to be our No 1 again this season :eek:

I would have thought Friedel was signed as he understood he was the first choice ?

Maybe Im jumping the gun, plenty of the summer remaining !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

There's nearly two months left in the transfer window. I wouldn't be getting too worried yet.

Advertisement