Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it dead ?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,402 ✭✭✭✭

Im on the look out for a top phone with buttons but I just dont see anything that interests me. it seems everything is touch screen these days which for me is frustrating.

Im a current owner of a touch phone the Desire HD (see my sig) and even thou its a great phone, for me I like buttons but I look on the nokia website and they are **** choices for the button phones. I want a phone that has better specs than the N95 and been out recently but i see nothing

I think its more or less dead tbh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

What about blackberry's?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,402 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

cookie1977 wrote: »
    What about blackberry's?

never had one before so im unsure what they are like

I'll give you an overview of how I use mine. Many come with a full physical qwerty keyboard (Mine's a 9700 running OS6). They're top notch for email. I use mine to tether my laptop. I can listen to radio over the internet for free with TuneIn. I access files remotely with both sugarsync and dropbox apps. I can edit document and read pdf's. Multi tasking is not a problem. I use the browser regularly. It's got tabbed browsing. Build quality is excellent. Battery life is rock solid. I get 3 days out of my year old 9700 with heavy use (calls, data). It's got wifi. I use google maps and it's got great native gmail integration with over the air sync of contacts and calendar. I dont use it for playing games and it probably wouldn't support fancy graphics. It's got a 3.2mp camera. The current best device in my mind is the 9780 with a 5 mp camera and 512mbs memory, other then that it's exactly the same as my device. There are new devices launching from blackberry towards the end of the year here in ireland which will bring a lot of new stuff like near field communication, touch screen with physical qwerty keyboard. The'll probably also sport a 1.2ghz processor. The current devices like the ones I've mentioned above sport a 600mhz processor but I dont find it slow for what I use it for. I can do anything an android or iphone can do (except maybe play flashy games) and more. ANy questions feel free to ask. One other thing, the blackberry's require a service add-on which depending on the network can cost from 50 cent a day on pre pay or 9.99 a month on bill pay. This is whats supports the email system.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

The just-announced Nokia E6 might be worth a look if you have a Nokia and are considering a Blackberry. Linky: http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-e6-00

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Desire Z - best of both worlds:

htc%20desire%20z.jpg

• Advertisement

Nokia E6 looks pretty cool but would that be more of a business phone?

What I do love about my Desire HD is all the games and apps on it

can the nokia E6 do that ?

Well the nokia has access to lots of apps just like androird devices but the games for the nokia e6 would probably be few and far between compared to the android devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

E6 is a business phone, but if you're considering a Blackberry...

E6 has identical hardware to the C7 and N8 -- the screen shape is different, but Symbian is pretty agnostic about screen dimensions, so a lot of apps for C7/N8/E7 should work.

Games should port easily in theory, but would need a small tweak from the developers to get working. Whether or not the developers would put games on such a device is another question (but they really should: a lot of teenagers buy this form-factor for its easy texting/messaging)

E7 is another option from Nokia, similar form factor to the Desire Z, but it's very expensive SIM-free, and I don't think any Irish operator carries it on subsidy, so can't really recommend it.

any more recommendations

main specs i would like are

5mp camera or above
    wifi
    large screen
    keypad

Advertisement