Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the Gym, Muscle food??

• 14-04-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

HI

I just wondering what the best food, or meals to have to build muscle or to get ripped fast, foods maybe that i sould eat before the the gym or after

any suggestion or tips would be helpfull
    thnaks:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Fresh whole foods. Include a protein, a fat and a green veg at every meal. Before the gym, you can eat a small meal of low-gi carbs, and afterwards, take one scoop of whey in a shake.

Eggs, oily fish, fresh meat and chicken, lots and lots of green veg, olive oil, some dairy, some fresh fruit (not juice), nuts, wholegrains.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Healy Boy

ok thanks and whats gi carbs??? is it true that i have to have 6 small meals a day to me thats a bit much ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

no you dont have to have 6 big meals just eat as often as you can and some people find eating e.g.

1. Breakfast
    2. Snack
    3. Lunch
    4. Snack
    5. Dinner
    6. Snack

A good structure to follow to just ensure they actually eat enough calories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Healy Boy wrote: »
    ok thanks and whats gi carbs??? is it true that i have to have 6 small meals a day to me thats a bit much ???

There's no 'right' number of meals to eat a day. Which means, however many you prefer to attain your fitness/lifestyle goals. To give you a different perspective, I practice an eating window of ~8hours daily in which I eat all my calories. It works better for me than 6+ smaller meals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

Depending on your budget, these may be a good snack for a change. I ordered the smoked and quite like it. However, they're expensive and not to everyones taste:

http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/beef-jerky

Boiled eggs make for a cheaper snack but can get boring after a while. Tinned tuna is good as well.

I've a microwave at work so I buy those frozen microwaveable steamed veg bags and have them with tuna or chicken from time-to-time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Healy Boy wrote: »

High GI carbs are carbs that are digested and broken down into simple sugars very quickly. White bread or pasta, cornflakes, beer, table sugar, for example.
    Low GI carbs are ones which take a much longer time to be digested and broken into simple sugars. Porridge oats, vegetables, brown rice.

You don't have to eat six times a day. It's far more important to get your calories right, and to base them on quality foods. Bodybuilders who are bulking are often forced to eat six meals a day, simply because the volume of food is so big they couldn't physically eat that much in only three meals.

There is a theory that eating small meals more frequently "revs up the metabolism", but there is no evidence to back this up. And frequent meals can encourage you to eat when you are not hungry.

Advertisement