Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for an Android phone

• 14-04-2011 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a sim free Android for under 300€.

Android 2.2 is essential, as is Flash web compatibility.
    I'd prefer if the phone is reasonably compact, a gigantic screen isn't too important.
    A reasonably good camera would be nice (good quality, not just high megapixels), with a flash included.
    The battery lasting 2+ days with limited use would be nice.

Amazon have the Motorola DEFY for 245£, which seems good for the money. The HTC Desire is a bit above my budget, and doesn't really seem to offer anything dramatically better than the DEFY.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

You could try adverts, theres a few new desires going for €250 and im sure you'd get a new galaxy s on there for less than €300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

Sadly there are few handsets that tick all the boxes if you want one new.
    The galaxy first have flash so im going to say a used desire.

I sold a brand new desire be for 350 so they are out there it may be a case of waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I'd prefer to go for a brand new phone tbh.

Any opinions on the DEFY?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Galaxy or desire would be better than the Motorola

seanybiker wrote: »
    Galaxy or desire would be better than the Motorola

Which Galaxy?
    The S is too big for my liking, and above my budget too.

• Advertisement

RichyX wrote: »
    I'd prefer to go for a brand new phone tbh.

Any opinions on the DEFY?

Is there any features you would mind not having?

mooneyd wrote: »
    Is there any features you would mind not having?

Only those listed above really.

To be honest, your going to have to give on something, pay more or loose some features? Im free = more expensive.

Do you need the phone soon?
    I have a rough date for the HTC wildfire S, which will be aimed at high end prepay (im guessing €250 locked) it will be out end of may early june, 5mp camera with flash (quality is ok), 3.2" captive touch screen, android 2.3 gingerbread.

How does that sound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Invincible

mooneyd wrote: »
    To be honest, your going to have to give on something, pay more or loose some features? Im free = more expensive.

Do you need the phone soon?
    I have a rough date for the HTC wildfire S, which will be aimed at high end prepay (im guessing €250 locked) it will be out end of may early june, 5mp camera with flash (quality is ok), 3.2" captive touch screen, android 2.3 gingerbread.

How does that sound?

Available here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SIM-FREE-UNLOCKED-HTC-WILDFIRE-S-GREY-MOBILE-PHONE-/190520011391?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item2c5be0aa7f#ht_3623wt_1018 sim free for £205 + potage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

xtal191 wrote: »
    You could try adverts, theres a few new desires going for €250 and im sure you'd get a new galaxy s on there for less than €300.

"get a new galaxy s on there for less than €300 "

A stolen one is it?maybe a secondhand one but a new one for 300?id like to see that.

• Advertisement

Sorted so. Personally I think it ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

crazygeryy wrote: »

A stolen one is it?maybe a secondhand one but a new one for 300?id like to see that.

Check advert, they are on there. Second hand, but some are still sealed.

Invincible wrote: »

It's a possibility for sure.
    I can't find any specific details on the processor, only the Mhz, so I'm not sure if it can handle Flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mr1890

HTC Desire HD quality phone big 4inch screen. 1ghz processor and runs android which is as good as iOS 4.2.2

I would say that flash will be a key feature on all the handsets going forward over the next 6 months as its a long awaited feature I would think all manufacturers will want to be able to claim they have as a feature from then it will be a standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Invincible

Mr1890 wrote: »
    HTC Desire HD quality phone big 4inch screen. 1ghz processor and runs android which is as good as iOS 4.2.2

Some of those screens are too big,want something handy to fit in pocket that does'nt need charging too often,so the Wildfire S might suit.

The Battery on the wildfire is pretty good so with gingerbread being even better than eclaire so it should suit well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

crazygeryy wrote: »

I got a brand new one sealed and everything on tadverts for €250 last month

JustinOval wrote: »
    Check advert, they are on there. Second hand, but some are still sealed.

:eek: i stand corrected sir.my humblest apologies for being so cynical.im just jealous i paid 450 for mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

I have a defy. It's a great phone and should have cyanogenmod7 available for it shortly. Two days battery is achievable if you don't go mad on it. Light, compact and very good screen too. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about it.

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    I got a brand new one sealed and everything on tadverts for €250 last month

jeez i might go there for a galaxy s II :D

I thought I had found the phone for me (a new boxed Desire for 250€), but the bugger didn't seem to work with my sim.
    Owner said it had worked with his o2 and a 3 sim.
    Had to leave it unfortunately.

I have a defy. It's a great phone and should have cyanogenmod7 available for it shortly. Two days battery is achievable if you don't go mad on it. Light, compact and very good screen too. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about it.

Have you installed the official Froyo update yet?

Interested as to how well it runs. The presence of Flash makes it look very appealing.

Have you installed the official Froyo update yet?

Interested as to how well it runs. The presence of Flash makes it look very appealing.

I haven't installed the official froyo yet but I am using a custom froyo rom (pays rom) and flash runs great. I might install a rom based on 2.2.2 but I'm happy for now.

I haven't installed the official froyo yet but I am using a custom froyo rom (pays rom) and flash runs great. I might install a rom based on 2.2.2 but I'm happy for now.

I'm not even sure how to get the official release onto my Defy.

It's been released on T-Mobile in the US, but if I try to update through the phone it tells me 2.1 is the latest version.

Motorola's site doesn't seem to have a ROM for download, it only sends you to T-Mobile's site.

I'm not even sure how to get the official release onto my Defy.

It's been released on T-Mobile in the US, but if I try to update through the phone it tells me 2.1 is the latest version.

Motorola's site doesn't seem to have a ROM for download, it only sends you to T-Mobile's site.

I don't think it's available for the uk market just yet so I'd imagine we'd be part of that.

If you're feeling a bit adventurous you can find instructions on xda on how to upgrade to an unofficial rom but keep the ability to downgrade when you want to go back to stock so you can upgrade to an official rom.

The other day I installed a froyo 2.2.2 rom and it's very smooth.

How do you find yours do far anyway? Any queries?

I don't think it's available for the uk market just yet so I'd imagine we'd be part of that.

If you're feeling a bit adventurous you can find instructions on xda on how to upgrade to an unofficial rom but keep the ability to downgrade when you want to go back to stock so you can upgrade to an official rom.

The other day I installed a froyo 2.2.2 rom and it's very smooth.

How do you find yours do far anyway? Any queries?

Cheers man, so far I'm fairly happy with it.

Not wild about the touchscreen keyboard. Coming from an old fashioned predictive text phone I'm finding it slower and frustrating. It'll just take some getting used to.

The speaker seems to be rear facing, which is irritating when watching videos without headphones on.

Otherwise no major complaints. FroYo would be nice, so I might look at xda in the next few days.

Cheers man, so far I'm fairly happy with it.

Not wild about the touchscreen keyboard. Coming from an old fashioned predictive text phone I'm finding it slower and frustrating. It'll just take some getting used to.

The speaker seems to be rear facing, which is irritating when watching videos without headphones on.

Otherwise no major complaints. FroYo would be nice, so I might look at xda in the next few days.

For predictive text use the swype keyboard and turn on the predictive feature. Also there's a slider to change from speed to accuracy, I leave mine more towards accuracy.Way faster than typing on any other phone I've owned. And you don't have to lift your finger!

As for the speaker thing, just cup your hand round the back where the speaker is but leave a gap at the bottom where the sound comes out. It makes a decent difference. If you're leaving it on a flat surface not much you can do though...

Advertisement