Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardgillan Grounds Closing Time?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what time the gates close in Ardgillan in the evening? I'm looking to go for a run in the grounds but don't want to get stuck in the car park!

Also if they do close early, can you get into the grounds via the overhead bridge at any time?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

shazkea wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time the gates close in Ardgillan in the evening? I'm looking to go for a run in the grounds but don't want to get stuck in the car park!

Also if they do close early, can you get into the grounds via the overhead bridge at any time?

Cheers!

July & August 11.00am - 6.00pm
    April to 30th September 11.00am - 6.00pm
    October to 31st March: 11.00am - 4.30pm
    23rd December to January 1st inclusive Closed

The Bridge is controlled by these times too.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

DubArk wrote: »

Thanks a million for the quick reply. Wow I didn't realise it was that early during the summer as well. Ah well I will just have to find another hilly route!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

how far do you wish to run and from where?
    starting in balbriggan you can run out skerries road, past ardgillan bridge alonside rail line, then turn right and the climb from there up to the summit at ardgillans gates is a decent run then you have the choice of continuing your run straight past the cappark gates and turn right at the next junction back to balrothery and back to balbriggan, or to turn around and head for home. not sure of the distance, will have to investigate it.

Heres the route, 12km balbriggan to ardgillan and back

Morphéus wrote: »
    how far do you wish to run and from where?
    starting in balbriggan you can run out skerries road, past ardgillan bridge alonside rail line, then turn right and the climb from there up to the summit at ardgillans gates is a decent run then you have the choice of continuing your run straight past the cappark gates and turn right at the next junction back to balrothery and back to balbriggan, or to turn around and head for home. not sure of the distance, will have to investigate it.

Heres the route, 12km balbriggan to ardgillan and back

I was looking to do some hill repeats on the "long" hill in the grounds as I need to get some hill work in.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the route. I didn't know that the next junction would bring you back towards Balrothery. I have run the Balb - Skerries route before but never took the turn towards Ardgillan. Not sure if I feel entirely safe running that route as I've seen the speed some cars come around the bends at. Do you run that way yourself and do you find it ok?
    Any other thoughts on hills I could use for repeats around Balb/Skerries etc?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

shazkea wrote: »
    I was looking to do some hill repeats on the "long" hill in the grounds as I need to get some hill work in.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the route. I didn't know that the next junction would bring you back towards Balrothery. I have run the Balb - Skerries route before but never took the turn towards Ardgillan. Not sure if I feel entirely safe running that route as I've seen the speed some cars come around the bends at. Do you run that way yourself and do you find it ok?
    Any other thoughts on hills I could use for repeats around Balb/Skerries etc?
    On that hill I would recommend going up it the same side of the road as the traffic, as they will be going uphill also and can stop very quickly. If you head up facing the traffic drivers have less time to react if you meet up just round a corner.

I cycle up it quite regularly without any problem (coming down can be a bit hairy though, particulary last night when some tractors came off the field and laid some nice damp mud all the way along the road)

• Advertisement

yes have run it before, its a tough hill climb but again its only one way!

I run in ardgillan park with a group of like minded individuals, youll probably notice us wearing the same tshirts, were training for a military competition that involves running up hill with 2 massive climbs over 11km carrying 36 pounds in combats.

were only on the early stages yet which involves training for general 8 - 12km running with hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

DubArk wrote: »

Are these times new? I occasionally went to Ardgillen after work, around 7-8pm, last summer.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

dead air wrote: »
    Are these times new? I occasionally went to Ardgillen after work, around 7-8pm, last summer.

Those are the opening times of the Castle.

The Park opening hours are:

November to January: 10.00am - 5.00pm
    February to March 10.00am - 6.00pm
    April 10.00am - 7.00pm
    May 10.00am - 8.00pm
    June to August 10.00am - 9.00pm
    September 10.00am - 8.00pm
    October 10.00am - 7.00pm

Morphéus wrote: »
    yes have run it before, its a tough hill climb but again its only one way!

I run in ardgillan park with a group of like minded individuals, youll probably notice us wearing the same tshirts, were training for a military competition that involves running up hill with 2 massive climbs over 11km carrying 36 pounds in combats.

were only on the early stages yet which involves training for general 8 - 12km running with hills.

Sounds like a tough race and I can see why Ardgillan would be useful training for it. I'll keep an eye out for ye on the hills. Best of luck with the training and competition.

Beasty wrote: »
    Those are the opening times of the Castle.

The Park opening hours are:

November to January: 10.00am - 5.00pm
    February to March 10.00am - 6.00pm
    April 10.00am - 7.00pm
    May 10.00am - 8.00pm
    June to August 10.00am - 9.00pm
    September 10.00am - 8.00pm
    October 10.00am - 7.00pm

Thanks for that, I was there yerterday eve having a run around the hills. One of the park wardens mentioned that they may be opening until 10 in the summer months but this will not be confirmed for another few weeks.

• Advertisement

ah you wont miss us, were there some sundays running as a group, were only in tshirts and shorts mind you!

Advertisement