Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving english near the end - advise needed.

• 14-04-2011 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hello,

Right well here is my story.

In the mocks I have failed my Maths :(

for college I need to get a b3 or more which I know I have alot of work to do.

So in the mocks I noticed that I got 65% in my english, which I was thinking, we have the course finished now? All we are doing is revision. So on this notion I thought I would request to leave that subject for the final 3-4 weeks we have left. I was going to use this valuable time to study my maths.

The school spoke to me and said "We are not going to waste much time speaking about this you either go to english or leave all your class and not come back to school.

I thought this decision was very harsh of them and their failure to support my decision to get my grade. Sadly because I want to do computer science the grade required is a b3 in maths. So if I dont get it... I dont go to college. What makes this even worse let alone doing the leaving cert again, is the new maths system is coming in and our year is the last to do it. Does this mean I have to go do 5th year again??

Anyways can anyone advise me is this decision of me leaving English a few weeks before is my decision Mine (I am 19 years of age) or the school, can they really kick me out because I want to use that time to focus on the more valuable information.

In english all I need is to pass it and thats it.

Any information you can give me. They have giving me till the 3rd of May to come back to them with my decision.

Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Marks12 wrote: »
    the new maths system is coming in and our year is the last to do it. Does this mean I have to go do 5th year again??

No you won't have to do 5th year again....Just 6th year. The new maths system, project maths, is coming in in stages so that for LC 2012 you will still be examined on a substantial part of the LC 2011 course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Its up to you mate. To be honest, I dont think taking off your english class would be worth it. English is one of those subjects you need constant practice in and ditching it for 4 weeks before the LC would be a bit foolish, In my oppionion anyways.

How if you really are serious about leaving it, you could always just leave the school premises and come back to your later classes.

I know a few people in my year who do it when it comes to religion/life skills etc. If their parents ever get called up they simply say their child had an appointment or something similar.

As for weather the school can throw you out for not going to your classes, I think they might just expel you ? Of course you could appeal the expulsion but that would probably be a lengthy task, something which Im sure you dont want to get into this side of the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Don't leave your English class. If anything your grade will drop and you risk failing English altogether. It's not worth the risk.

Just get stuck into the past papers at home. You should be able to work that grade up to a B3. I know loads of people who failed Maths but they all want to to Engineering so they're just putting their focus on their Maths but NOT taking the focus away from their other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

'advise needed' ?

Stay in English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

65% in the mock exam is no guarantee that you will get the same in your LC, especially if you don't do any work in it between now and the exam. Judging by your expression in this thread, I wouldn't be too complacent about getting that grade in the real thing.

The school is entitled to insist that you follow the rules i.e. go to your classes. When you get to college, you can pick and choose what classes you attend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Marks12 wrote: »
    The school spoke to me and said "We are not going to waste much time speaking about this you either go to english or leave all your class and not come back to school.

I thought this decision was very harsh of them and their failure to support my decision to get my grade.
    Look, at one level I can see where you're coming from, but think of the wider picture ... what if every student decided to skip a couple of subjects after Easter, because they were "in the bag", skip those classes and study independently their weaker subjects on their own during those classes?

So you have a hundred-plus LCs wandering around the school, no-one knows where they are (or even if they're on the school premises), chatting in the corridors, disturbing other classes. No teacher knows who they should have in class, or whether the others are legitimately absent or just fooling around somewhere.

For that matter, how much work do you actually think would get done?

You will say "but it's just me!" ... but once they give permission to you, how can they in all justice refuse permission to the next ... and the next ... and the next?

You have Easter holidays now ... it's up to you to get stuck into the maths, no school timetable to bother you.

Plus ... this ... VVV
    Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Its up to you mate. To be honest, I dont think taking off your english class would be worth it. English is one of those subjects you need constant practice in and ditching it for 4 weeks before the LC would be a bit foolish, In my opinion anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Marks12

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the fantastic advice. I do agree opt out of English completely is a foolish idea and the idea would be that I would study English outside of school in my free time. We have covered the course I have my notes and at this point I feel we are learning nothing. For example 2 weeks while we were waiting for our pre results back our English teacher decided we would study paper 2 question 1 part b for the entire 2 weeks.

So, even though none of us had a idea of our results we spent those 2 weeks learning how it should have been done.

Now I know some of you will agree, that's right, and yes I agree as well. But a full 2 weeks on it?

Anyhow, Since I posted this my progress maths went forward nearly having paper 1 covered.

The thing that makes me laugh is that our English teacher thinks that she is the only teacher. She has given the class 14 days of homework and requirement to write up to proof what we did. One of the girls (The smart ones) turns around and said that each day task takes 3-4 hours to do it properly.

Then on top of that we have DCG studys (Because we spent since September to April doing the project part) so mega catch up there. And then 2x 9AM - 4PM monday and tuesday gone dedicated to catchup on our engineering studys.

To add on top of that we have our LCVP examination on the day we come back.

To add to it all the English teacher has asked me and a few other student to just no bother come to her class and start shouting at us. "F......lip off and dont come back to my class" Quoted perfectly. To give her credit good save on the F bomb to flip :)

I wish I could focus this entire holiday maths. Which reminds me. I must go study maths. Thanks for all the advice.

Because of my 5 days practicals over the 2 weeks we return that leaves only 1 and a half weeks of English classes so to save all the bitching and grind my teeth.

Also to add on top of it they have blindly done this for others. in my year.

Any ways, Thank you all for the great advice.

Advertisement