Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSH with Magnet 24 Mb Home broadband

• 14-04-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I have just ordered Magnet for a place I've moved into with a few mates.

I used to have eircom which was crap and slow at my last place.
    The one thing I would miss if it wasn't available on Magnet is SSH.

As far as I can see this would require the following:
    • A static IP for the SSH server within my LAN
    • A static IP for my LAN on the internet (unlikely) or use of DynDNS (likely), which I would update from the server using ddclient
    • NAT to forward a port from the router/modem to the SSH server
    Does anyone using Magnet have a setup such as the above?
    Is this achievable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I use dyndns for my server. I'm not with magnet however. Is there something special about their service that would hinder running a SSH server?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

I gather there is limited access to the router they provide, so the issues I foresee are assinging the static IP to my server and forwarding the port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I've never used Magnet but I was under the impression that they didn't use NAT and assigned a public address to each leasing computer. In which case you would just need to use a DYDNS client on your computer and open the port through your computers firewall. Nothing to do on your router at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

st332 wrote: »
    I gather there is limited access to the router they provide, so the issues I foresee are assinging the static IP to my server and forwarding the port.

There is no access, since it's essentially a bridge, your machines will get public IPs, unless you add your own router or modem.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

It does raise another issue though:
    That means that my LAN won't be behind a firewall.
    I sometimes have ports open witin my LAN for services such as FTP or even a notification service from my android phone to my laptop.
    This practice was always fine in the past as they were all on a WPA2 wireless network and I was reasonably sure of security.
    That might no longer be the case if all ports are open between my LAN and the net.
    I might look at routing everything through something like a D-Link DIR-655 router and disabling wifi on the Magnet router/modem so that I can have the network firewalled without having to worry about firewalling each machine individually (e.g those of my housemates etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

You won't have any access to the magnet router, so yes the best route will be to use your own router behind one of the Public IPs offered by the Magnet router. (or build 4 different networks behind the ports on the router)

Magnet don't promise that the IPs you get are static, but it practice they tend to be. (but configure a dyn-dns service in your router just to be sure anyway)

As Spear says you should just consider the Magnet router to simply be a bridge that you have no access to.

N.B. that includes the WIFI, you can't turn it off.
    Good luck with getting someone in Magnet to turn it off for you, but apart from that you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Good luck with getting someone in Magnet to turn it off for you, but apart from that you should be ok.

Is their customer support that bad?

You won't have any access to the magnet router, so yes the best route will be to use your own router behind one of the Public IPs offered by the Magnet router. (or build 4 different networks behind the ports on the router)

Magnet don't promise that the IPs you get are static, but it practice they tend to be. (but configure a dyn-dns service in your router just to be sure anyway)

As Spear says you should just consider the Magnet router to simply be a bridge that you have no access to.

Thanks for the info.

I will pick up a router myself so.
    It would be handy to have a router for the house anyway for QoS as there will be 5 lads using the connection, so that means 5 laptops, 2 Xboxes, 5 smartphones etc. etc.

I can always pull the aerials off the Magnet one or put it in a crude tin foil faraday cage (not HAT :)) if it has crappy WEP encryption. Don't want any sniffers/leechers!

Advertisement