Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiving standard TV channels in Nenagh without Sky (or similar service)

Options
  • 14-04-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm in Nenagh, and we cancelled our Sky subscription a month or so ago.

I've a set of a[unamplified] rabbits-ears tv antenna plugged into the TV in the vain hope of being able to receive RTE and TV3 now - and am getting such a poor reception that renders it all unwatchable.

I'm asking here rather than in the TV related fora - because I'd prefer some local knowledge ;)

What would any of ye recommend? Should we get a better set of amplified rabbits ears (and if this is what you are doing, what make & model is it?) or should we get what some might call a proper tv arial to mount on the side of the house?

The less costly the solution the better - thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Do you have a digital television?If you got rid of Sky,you have the freesat channels from the sky box.If you dont have a digital television,you need a set top box to get saorview[rte etc] and depending where you are in regard to the signal,you may need better than the rabbit ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

rte, tv3 and tnag are not available on free to air boxes they have a contract with sky as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Once everything goes digital by the end of next year, you will have no choice but own a TV that has a built in digital decoder, or buy a separate decoder box, if you want to watch the Rte's and TV3's without a sky box. Really, the rabbits ears are not great for viewing tv(usually), so you'd be better off getting a proper aerial for the job. The guys in the TV section would give you good advice on that. For a perfect picture , if you don't have a digital TV, then the decoder box would be a good idea. I *think* they're about €80-€90 or so, unless you want to change your TV, because as I said, your standard non-digital tv on it's own will not pick up terrestrial tv through an aerial(or rabbits ears) after Dec 2012. Hope this helps

DaveJac wrote: »
    rte, tv3 and tnag are not available on free to air boxes they have a contract with sky as far as i know

I am not talking about free to air boxes.I am talking about Saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 vdubber9411

radagast wrote: »
    I'm in Nenagh, and we cancelled our Sky subscription a month or so ago.

I've a set of a[unamplified] rabbits-ears tv antenna plugged into the TV in the vain hope of being able to receive RTE and TV3 now - and am getting such a poor reception that renders it all unwatchable.

I'm asking here rather than in the TV related fora - because I'd prefer some local knowledge ;)

What would any of ye recommend? Should we get a better set of amplified rabbits ears (and if this is what you are doing, what make & model is it?) or should we get what some might call a proper tv arial to mount on the side of the house?

The less costly the solution the better - thanks!

Your closest transmitter is Maghera, Channel 48, Pointing basically West. Your Aerial should be in Horizontal mode. Unfortunately you're a little bit to far for me to travel but I would charge around €165 for a digi aerial installed to to upto 4 rooms. If your TV's are not digital ready you would need a box for each room which I sell for €80 each. You'd need a Group CD Digi Aerial (Green) Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 radagast

Thanks guys - I think I'll get a compatible 'proper' aerial first, and buy a digital tv later on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

I posted this on the terrestial site.
    Replaced my old telly with a new LG from Argos.
    With the existing anologue aerial I now have all the RTEs freeview which coupled with my Lidl satellite system giving all UK freevies is giving an excellent service.
    All for no subscriptions.
    The RTEs are flawless.
    I live South of cahir

• Registered Users Posts: 32 radagast

That's great to know

• Registered Users Posts: 44 wicklowgaz

I would check with the neighbors what transmitter (frequency) they are on, or the saorview website to set whats the strongest transmitter you would be recieving in you area. That will give you the aerial group and polar. You may get away with an indoor one if you are in a very strong area! If not then a cheap wideband aerial may suffice. Best bet is to look at the neighbours and see what they are using! It should be a DIY job, you can use the digibox from sky for uk freesat stuff!!!

Let us know how it goes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement