Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room in a property

Options
  • 14-04-2011 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Sorry if I've missed a thread on this, I can only see relating to renting out a whole property, so forgive me for the probable repetition!!
    I purchased an apartment a few years ago with 2 other people. I will now be moving out and renting out one of the bedrooms. The other 2 will continue to live there.

I seem to remember from previous threads that it isn't necessary to register with PRTB in this instance, is this correct?

I presume I would still need to issue the tenant with a lease, is there anywhere I can get a copy of a standard lease?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?? I feel like there's so much I haven't thought of!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Have a read of Living with your landlord on Citizen's Information. I realise you won't be living with them but I'd say it would be a similar given the other 2 housemates aren't renting and do own the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Do you own outright or do you have a mortgage? If you have a mortgage, this may be against the terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Do you own outright or do you have a mortgage? If you have a mortgage, this may be against the terms.

I didn't think it would affect the mortgage as it's just one room, but will certainly look into this

BUMP

Anyone have any more info on my original query??

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

dearg lady wrote: »
    I didn't think it would affect the mortgage as it's just one room, but will certainly look into this

The problem here is that you need to be an owner/occupier to avail of the rent-a-room relief. There may be other joint owners living there but you should check the terms of your mortgage. It may have wording to the effect that you may not move out.

• Advertisement

The problem here is that you need to be an owner/occupier to avail of the rent-a-room relief. There may be other joint owners living there but you should check the terms of your mortgage. It may have wording to the effect that you may not move out.

But I'm not claiming rent a room relief :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

dearg lady wrote: »
    But I'm not claiming rent a room relief :confused:

I think what EoghanConway is getting at (and apologies if I'm wrong) is that the issue that might arise for you is in where the rent for this room is going to. If you are an owner occupier you can rent out a room tax-free & not register with the PRTB (as long as the rent & income from bills is under a certain limit.) If you don't live in the property and the rental income is coming to you (and not, for example, to your housemates who are still living there) then you might have a problem. This is just my opinion & I'm not particularly well versed in these things, it would be worth calling the PRTB to check but to me it looks like you would be a landlord and not a rent-a-roomer in that situation

Advertisement