Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vibration Plates

Options
  • 14-04-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here use these or know anything about them.
    The OH wants to get one but i thought i'd post here first to see if anyone can shed a bit of light on them.

http://www.irishsportsdirect.ie/catalog/vibration-plates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I hear you can burn 500kcal/hour just standing on one... :rolleyes:

They are a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

All i can add to it is i took part in a test to compare recovery between active, passive and vibration plate and the best was active, vibration plate did nothing better than passive too i think.

Bambaata wrote: »
    All i can add to it is i took part in a test to compare recovery between active, passive and vibration plate and the best was active, vibration plate did nothing better than passive too i think.

I took part in the same test.. likewise, spinning on the bike was best recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

mloc123 wrote: »
    I took part in the same test.. likewise, spinning on the bike was best recovery.

Interesting, they have one in my gym and have seen quite a few using them after a session. I did wonder what they did!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I hear you can burn 500kcal/hour just standing on one... :rolleyes:

They are a gimmick.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    shazkea wrote: »
    Interesting, they have one in my gym and have seen quite a few using them after a session. I did wonder what they did!!

Thanks all but she does not want it for recovery...as this is going to be her excercise....are you all saying that is does not do what it says on the tin ?

• Advertisement

What exactly do they claim to do? I have heard people talk abou them 'burning calories for you'... if this is what she is after I'd tell her to save her money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

They seem to have found the Holy Grail of exercise

• Excellent for shaping the body as it melts away body fat

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Reduced from €669 to €259 says it all for me - these yolks will be on the shopping channel at 4am soon for 3 easy payments of €39.99 being promoted by some buff Amercian day time actress no one has heard of with 3 free DVDs and if you order by Friday get the bonus 'Extreme Wobble' DVD 'Melt away your body fat in only 5mins per day*'.

* must be used in conjuntion with a healthy diet and real excercise program

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Reduced from €669 to €259 says it all for me - these yolks will be on the shopping channel at 4am soon for 3 easy payments of €39.99 being promoted by some buff Amercian day time actress no one has heard of with 3 free DVDs and if you order by Friday get the bonus 'Extreme Wobble' DVD 'Melt away your body fat in only 5mins per day*'.

* must be used in conjuntion with a healthy diet and real excercise program

I was sceptical to say the least and i told her so,i just about got her to hold off ordering until i got a few responses here....thanks everyone...you confirmed what i probably already knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

As I sit here typing this reply I have a vibration plate directly behind me. It was rented at first and then I learned last week that "we" had bought it. I should note "we" have tried many gimmicks in the past including ab rollers and my all time favourite ab belts.

I've tried the vibration plate once and wasn't impressed. If it gets your OH into an exercise routine then by all means go for it. If it's used as a replacement from exercise forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My sister "rented" one of these, like TheRoadRunner I suspect she ended up buying it as I see it in behind a load of stuff in one of the rooms but have heard nothing more about her using it.

Honestly based on what I've seen of it its a gimmick and its no replacement for proper excercise. OP your OH is better off just looking for a excercise they can enjoy rather then wasting money on this.

Advertisement