Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Roster Notice

Options
  • 14-04-2011 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. I'm working a part-time job for an English company over here, and while by and large its a great job, theres one thing that really bothers me. The roster for the week (which starts on Friday) only goes up on Wednesday. This means that you can never plan your weekend until Wednesday night, as you dont know what shifts you'll be working. I know its not a massive deal, but it can be really inconvenient at times.. I was just wondering if this perfectly acceptable/legal? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi there, does the following from this page apply to you? If so, then it does sound like they're giving you the required notice.
    Provision of information about working hours

For many employees the hours of work are specified, for example, in their contract of employment or in an ERO or REA. If the hours of work are not specified, under Section 17 of the Act, the employer must notify the employee of the starting and finishing times at least 24 hours before the first day or the day of each week the employee is required to work. The employer can do this by putting up a notice in a conspicuous place in the employee's workplace on a day when the employee is working. If the employee is required to work additional hours the 24 hours' notice must be given in the same way. However, in unforeseen circumstances such as another employee off work sick, the employer can ask the employee to work at less than 24 hours' notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Yeah, that pretty much clears it up. I guess 24 hours just doesnt seem like a lot; in my last job the roster was always 3 weeks ahead. Thanks all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

ya my employer is the same our week starts on a sunday and we are let no at some stage friday i feel your pain when you wana orgainise summitt :mad: at this stage any days we arent allowed book off days anymore for appointments with docturs etc..... and staff are still waiting to have summer holidays confirmed...it sucks but we are told we jus lucky to have a job

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Agree and I think the 2 days notice of the rosta leads to loads of swapping so you can get through the week.

Years ago payroll was costed on a monthly basis so I could do 4 weeks rotas in advance and stick to them, now payroll is micro managed weekly. The sales on Mon/Tue and wed decide what you'll spend on the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

If it makes you feel better my boss texts us at 12 o clock at night to tell us if and what time we are working the next day! And often it says come in at 8am. Completely unpredictable and leaves me literally unable to plan anything for the entire summer. :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. I'm working a part-time job for an English company over here, and while by and large its a great job, theres one thing that really bothers me. The roster for the week (which starts on Friday) only goes up on Wednesday. This means that you can never plan your weekend until Wednesday night, as you dont know what shifts you'll be working. I know its not a massive deal, but it can be really inconvenient at times.. I was just wondering if this perfectly acceptable/legal? Thanks.

Has anyone approached the boss / HR with a nicely worded request to post the roster 1 week or more ahead of time, outlining the impact on your work/life balance and the benefits to the company?

If nobody has approached them they may be under the assumption that that situation is acceptable for all involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Leahmono

My boss gave me my roster for today at 3 o'clock today!! wish he gave us even one days notice >:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If it makes you feel better my boss texts us at 12 o clock at night to tell us if and what time we are working the next day! And often it says come in at 8am. Completely unpredictable and leaves me literally unable to plan anything for the entire summer. :mad::mad::mad:
    Leahmono wrote: »
    My boss gave me my roster for today at 3 o'clock today!! wish he gave us even one days notice >:(

If you let them get away with it...

Advertisement