Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A little help please

• 14-04-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

So i found my old gamecube and n64 last week in the attic and decided to buy an 8bit nes this morning!! will add the snes soon :D

Just two quick questions for you knowledgable people here.

1: can i use a universal power supply for the nes?

2: will my new lcd screen be fine for the older machines or will i be better using a crt tv?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

feelpablo wrote: »
    Hi folks,

So i found my old gamecube and n64 last week in the attic and decided to buy an 8bit nes this morning!! will add the snes soon :D

Just two quick questions for you knowledgable people here.

1: can i use a universal power supply for the nes?

2: will my new lcd screen be fine for the older machines or will i be better using a crt tv?

Thanks in advance

There's a guy on ebay selling these little NES power supplies. They're really pretty cool things. Work perfectly.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nintendo-NES-Replacement-Power-Supply-Unit-PSU-Cable-/130451291516?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item1e5f80bd7c

If you have a CRT definitely use that, old games look awful on LCD tvs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

if its any use the NES and the SNES use the same powersupply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah was looking at getting that replacement one but thought when im getting the snes in a few weeks it would be pointless if i could use a universal multi one.

Have an old Sony 28 inch crt that will be getting involved in the setup so :cool:

Master of the Universe

feelpablo wrote: »

Have an old Sony 28 inch crt that will be getting involved in the setup so :cool:

That will be perfection :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

o1s1n wrote: »
    That will be perfection :)

Nice one...so the universal one is a bad idea even untill i get the proper one yeah??

Just dont want to blow the sh!t outta my new purchase!!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

As long as it's supplying the console with the right voltage it'll be fine. So if you can get that right there won't be any explodage or fryage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

LCDs are fine for the most part, obviously you will notice a little more how bad the grapics are :D but everything will still work as normal. Just don't stretch 4:3 games to a wide resolution and be aware that light guns (e.g. the NES zapper or SNES scope) only work on CRT screens

Master of the Universe

jumbone wrote: »
    LCDs are fine for the most part, obviously you will notice a little more how bad the grapics are :D but everything will still work as normal. Just don't stretch 4:3 games to a wide resolution and be aware that light guns (e.g. the NES zapper or SNES scope) only work on CRT screens

It's not really that it ages the consoles, they just weren't designed to run on LCD televisions. They need a CRT to produce a 'proper' image. On an LCD the pixels don't come out right and look like lego blocks.

Some people might find that alright, I don't though. I think it looks ugly as hell. With a lot of pixel art being lovely to look at, it's doing it an injustice really.

You can also get weird effects happening sometimes..for example my Neo Geo AES just won't work on my LCD tv. There's a weird wavy line across the top of the screen. Could never figure out what caused it!

feelpablo - make sure to look into getting RGB scart cables for all your consoles that support them. With an RGB scart cable and a CRT, the picture quality is beautiful.

Advertisement