Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag Rugby 2011

Options
  • 14-04-2011 4:41pm

Anyone playing this year?

There was an email sent around about 2months ago and it was decided to leave the Autumn league and just go with the summer one.

Seeing as it's nearly May now it might be getting a bit late to enter so the ball will need to start rolling

Any new members interested in playing?

Any old ones still knocking around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't know if you're referring to one that I sent around back in February (I'm terrible at connecting Boards usernames to real life names :)). If so then yeah, the response for the Spring league was a bit muted. Either way I'm interested in the Summer league for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mike o

I'd be interested in playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Lensbaby89

Can I play too....?
    I heart tag rugby in a major way and I'm also a girl so therefore my tries are worth more points.. :p

mike o wrote: »

Good stuff, we need to get the ball rolling ASAP and get entered before it's full.

There are two options as of now.
    Thursday out in Corinthians and a new one Sunday in Galweigans.

There may also be a 3rd option with the Tag Rugby Ireland crowd, those two stated are the IRFU
    Lensbaby89 wrote: »
    Can I play too....?
    I heart tag rugby in a major way and I'm also a girl so therefore my tries are worth more points.. :p

Yip it's open to anyone, and girls are even harder to get, feel free to convince some female friends.
    Malice wrote: »
    I don't know if you're referring to one that I sent around back in February (I'm terrible at connecting Boards usernames to real life names :)). If so then yeah, the response for the Spring league was a bit muted. Either way I'm interested in the Summer league for sure.

Ya Malice your emails are what I'm talking about.

The thing is, it's the summer league starting in FOUR weeks afaik(May to July) so the Spring league is probably over by now.
    (I knew Autumn didn't sound right, I always get those two seasons mixed up, it goes Summer-Winter IMO anyway :D)

Nothing ever came of the emails, it was half decided to meet up and talk about it, but it didn't look like anyone was going to seize the initiative in these last few weeks.

We took a bit of a pasting last summer, and tbh it wasn't the slightest bit enjoyable(30+ defeats each game)...apparently the internet isn't a great place to arrange a sports team :D.... the problem then was we missed the cut for getting in the bottom league and got stuck in B(out of A-D iirc) so the longer we leave it the more chance that has of happening again.

I've sent a message on FB to FIFIB(I think that's what she goes by around here) and asked the situation with last years crew as she would know them all fairly well, I don't mind doing the collecting and what not this year to get it sorted.

COME ON!!... there has to be more people.

Look at the amount of people who are willing to go bowling and drinking with complete strangers :eek:... which is far more intimidating IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

I'd be tentative enough, what's the story with beginners?

SparKing wrote: »

Well the sooner we get the numbers, the sooner we can enter, if we can get into the D league there are plenty of beginner standard players.

At any rate there's no barriers, everyone is welcome.

If you've played any sport you'd be fine, the crossover between field sports is larger then one would think.

A beginner would really be someone who hasn't played ANY sports their whole lives, of which there are plenty in tag.

The thing is, it's the summer league starting in FOUR weeks afaik(May to July) so the Spring league is probably over by now.
    (I knew Autumn didn't sound right, I always get those two seasons mixed up, it goes Summer-Winter IMO anyway :D)
    Well if it's Ireland we get cold rain and then slightly less cold rain ;). Seriously though, I think the spring leagues are still on-going. One of the lads in work is playing in some tag rugby league, I must ask him.
    We took a bit of a pasting last summer, and tbh it wasn't the slightest bit enjoyable(30+ defeats each game)
    Ah, that's a pity. I thought the team had done a bit better than the previous summer. I must go and slag Fearghal. His coaching managed to make things worse!
    I've sent a message on FB to FIFIB(I think that's what she goes by around here) and asked the situation with last years crew as she would know them all fairly well, I don't mind doing the collecting and what not this year to get it sorted.
    Yep, she's Fifib on here too.

Well if it's Ireland we get cold rain and then slightly less cold rain ;). Seriously though, I think the spring leagues are still on-going. One of the lads in work is playing in some tag rugby league, I must ask him.

Ah, that's a pity. I thought the team had done a bit better than the previous summer. I must go and slag Fearghal. His coaching managed to make things worse!

Yep, she's Fifib on here too.

It must be drawing to a close anyway, or else runs directly into the summer league.(I taught there was a gap after it last year, and I also taught the summer league didn't start till mid-June

Summer league starts in mid May at any rate.
    So around 4 weeks to go.

We did ok in the spring league but we got walloped every game in the summer league, playing in B.

I think last years crew are out tbh.
    Fiona hasn't replied yet but has been on FB, seems to be that's a no.

I think I've sourced around 3 girls already anyway. One has said she'd play and another two seemed to be saying yes.
    With the one from here as well that would be 4.

Would need around 15-16 total.

It must be drawing to a close anyway, or else runs directly into the summer league.(I taught there was a gap after it last year, and I also taught the summer league didn't start till mid-June

Summer league starts in mid May at any rate.
    So around 4 weeks to go.
    You're probably right, I haven't looked up any dates officially or anything.
    We did ok in the spring league but we got walloped every game in the summer league, playing in B.

I think last years crew are out tbh.
    Fiona hasn't replied yet but has been on FB, seems to be that's a no.
    Ah I see, I forgot there were two different league campaigns played.
    I think I've sourced around 3 girls already anyway. One has said she'd play and another two seemed to be saying yes.
    With the one from here as well that would be 4.

Would need around 15-16 total.
    That's great so far. Definitely the more the merrier as injuries and other commitments have a tendancy of getting in the way. I played last Autumn in Cork and for more than one game we literally only had a starting line-up - no subs! That was in spite of having a panel of 15 players.

Will I resend that e-mail to last year's squad? As I recall there was a bit of interest in the summer league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 westernfan

hey guys and gals,

i'd be interested in playin with ye this yr but it would probably depend on the day ye will be playin..played in the dangan lges last yr and found it too be a good laugh

westernfan wrote: »
    hey guys and gals,

i'd be interested in playin with ye this yr but it would probably depend on the day ye will be playin..played in the dangan lges last yr and found it too be a good laugh

It would more then likely be the Thurs out in Corinthians.

Don't think Sundays would suit most.

EDIT: Male or female?

male and thurs are probably out for me due to gaa

male and thurs are probably out for me due to gaa

There's a chance we could play Sundays, but it would be small tbh.

Between people going home and heading out Saturdays I don't think many would be interested in that one.

We'll see anyway once we get numbers, it may even be the only one with places left if it takes much longer to sort.

I would definitely prefer to avoid playing on Sunday.

Same as myself, not because I head out, but because I play in a 5 a side league with the lads Sunday between 6-8(could be any half hour slot)

Is the summer lge in dangan full as well? or do people just prefer corinthians to play in?..yeah sundays wouldn't really suit either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Reg11

hey, really intrested in playing:D, sundays wudnt suit either, thursday sounds best. let me know if any 1 is setting up a team - male 23 played tag before but just moved to galway looking for a team! cheers!

Reg11 wrote: »
    hey, really intrested in playing:D, sundays wudnt suit either, thursday sounds best. let me know if any 1 is setting up a team - male 23 played tag before but just moved to galway looking for a team! cheers!

Ya we'd really need to sort it this week.

Maybe have a training session towards the end of the week.
    Is the summer lge in dangan full as well? or do people just prefer corinthians to play in?..yeah sundays wouldn't really suit either

AFAIK Dangan only run a Spring league which would be finishing up in the next week or two.

We played in it last year, think it was on Wednesdays.

The ''Tag Rugby Ireland'' crowd only do Thurs as well in St.Marys

ya training will suit me any nite during the week jus let me no time nd place!!

• Advertisement

played in the summer lge there last yr so they may be doin it again this yr but unsure...i suppose personally the wed if on would be best for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Reg11 and westernfan, use only full English here. No text speak.

played in the summer lge there last yr so they may be doin it again this yr but unsure...i suppose personally the wed if on would be best for me..

Your right actually it's on there on Wednesdays.

I don't mind either, but I'd prefer getting into the easier one as the team will prob be weak.
    I'd rather avoid Corinthians if we can't get into C or D and if the team was in or around the same as last year, we just got stuffed every week.

Suppose if we can get the numbers we can see which day suits everyone.

The problem now is girls, I could prob' get around 4/5 lads myself but you can't do anything without 6-8 girls.
    I think I may have sourced 1-3 from FB and there was one on this, but when it comes down to it, none may show/want to play.

Wasn't much uptake from last years crowd, a few maybes for the odd night, but unless you can get girls that will show at least 50%+ then your just going to need 6-8 minus them, and you could have a night with 10+ which wouldn't be fair on the ones there every week.

I've asked a few people as well but like yourself the response hasn't been overly enthusiastic. I totally agree with sufficient numbers being a requirement, I've played games with no subs and they were not fun. With rolling subs everyone that turns up should get a game.

I've asked a few people as well but like yourself the response hasn't been overly enthusiastic. I totally agree with sufficient numbers being a requirement, I've played games with no subs and they were not fun. With rolling subs everyone that turns up should get a game.

You can go with less lads all right, but you'd defo need 6 girls if possible as most haven't much fitness, also they're the more likely to not turn up for whatever reason so you'd be needing around 6-8 anyway.

You don't want too many either(If all would be the types to show each week, Max a night you'd want is 8 and 6) but I don't think we're in any danger of reaching that yet :pac:

I'm trying two of the other girls from last year you wouldn't know(they were only there from the summer).
    I've added and messaged one on FB, she was on the mailing list but she may not have seen it for whatever number of reasons. And I've messaged Fiona to try get a number for the other girl.

You can go with less lads all right, but you'd defo need 6 girls if possible as most haven't much fitness, also they're the more likely to not turn up for whatever reason so you'd be needing around 6-8 anyway.

You don't want too many either(If all would be the types to show each week, Max a night you'd want is 8 and 6) but I don't think we're in any danger of reaching that yet :pac:

I'm trying two of the other girls from last year you wouldn't know(they were only there from the summer).
    I've added and messaged one on FB, she was on the mailing list but she may not have seen it for whatever number of reasons. And I've messaged Fiona to try get a number for the other girl.

Best bet really lads is try to get a session together this week and look at it from there!

Best bet really lads is try to get a session together this week and look at it from there!

Ya suppose, just wanted to make sure we had enough to even do that first :D.

Well I can do any day really, I'd rather not Wed(well between 6.30-8ish anyway) but all things considered I'll even go for that.

Tuesdays prob out of the question now, so either Wed or Thurs.... I think Thurs would prob' be better, bit more time to try get through to people.

Renmore or South Park then, South Park would be handier if most are this side of the city, but Renmore would prob suit more people going on past experience.

So Renmore- 7pm- Thurs?

Ya suppose, just wanted to make sure we had enough to even do that first :D.

Well I can do any day really, I'd rather not Wed(well between 6.30-8ish anyway) but all things considered I'll even go for that.

Tuesdays prob out of the question now, so either Wed or Thurs.... I think Thurs would prob' be better, bit more time to try get through to people.

Renmore or South Park then, South Park would be handier if most are this side of the city, but Renmore would prob suit more people going on past experience.

So Renmore- 7pm- Thurs?

Ya thats spot on!!No problem for me.....jus need more info of where it is??I Know renmore kind of:confused:

Ya thats spot on!!No problem for me.....jus need more info of where it is??I Know renmore kind of:confused:

It's easy to find, it's beside the road and a lot of teams train there.
    Up the road from the Kingfisher, across from the church
    mike o wrote: »
    Lensbaby89 wrote: »
    Can I play too....?
    SparKing wrote: »

Are any of ye up for Thurs?

TBH the most important thing to sort is the registration, so money would be needed fairly soon considering we're only 4 weeks ago.
    We could always double up the training sessions in the next few weeks but we need to get the team in soon.

I could front a bit extra but I wouldn't be able to meet the E500 myself unless I took a loan out.

• Advertisement

You can provisionally put me down for Thursday at 7pm but I'm hoping for a bit more of a response than just three of us before I go trekking across town.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement