Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone v Galaxy v HTC

Options
  • 14-04-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

I am moving to emobile.

I was reluctant because I like my Iphone. (I know you can unlock it and use it with Emobile but my Iphone broke so not really that bothered about buying a new one if I can get a superior alternative).

I have been hearing that the Samsung Galaxy S is a superior
    phone. - http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmor...details/?id=66

Is the link attached the latest Galaxy phone ?

Is it mainly superior to the Iphone ?

Is it the best phone available with emobile ? (attached another phone below that seems pretty good aswell)

http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmor...details/?id=68

I am not very knowledgable on phones but just want another mobile similar to my Iphone. I have no care for brand, just for quality of phone. If the Galaxy is the best, I am happy to go with it. I understand that all my Iphone stuff will be useless or not usable on the new phone.

Any objective/helpful advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Define superior. What would need to be better for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Define superior. What would need to be better for you?

Nothing really . .

I never cared much for the kind of phones I used to have until I got an Iphone last year and I love it.

I love the music, the applications, ease of use and its practicality. It has a good signal and its wifi enabled.

I dont really have a preferance phone (brand etc), but I was told that the Android Phone gives you access to more information that Apple limits.

To be honest, this doesnt really make much of a differance for me. The real key is that I have an opportunity to get a cheap Android with a new provider and I want to make sure I dont want to take out an inferior phone.

I like my Iphone (that is now broken!), but I am not too bothered with exchanging it for another phone with similar functions, once I am not really losing out on anything (other then brand recognition).

I went to http://www.gsmarena.com/stats.php3 and it seems to suggest that the Galaxy is considered a superior phone (certainly in its ratings), but that the Apple is more popular (more down to marketing).

I understand there may be some adjusting time, but again I dont mind this. Just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/phones/details/?id=72 :)

Case closed :)

Great phone for the money and great build quality and screen.

Very simple and easy to use with thousands of great apps and games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

I would say the iPhone is more user ftiendly than andtoid. But android is more open. You have flash and you don't need iTunes for music or updates. You easily sync your music to Android also. If you can wait for galaxy 2 due out soon I would. There are also a lot of new android phones just hitting the market now like HTC desire s, Sony x10 arc, HTC incredible and nexus s which I just bought which are running android 2.3 I think.

racer1 wrote: »
    I would say the iPhone is more user ftiendly than andtoid. But android is more open. You have flash and you don't need iTunes for music or updates. You easily sync your music to Android also. If you can wait for galaxy 2 due out soon I would. There are also a lot of new android phones just hitting the market now like HTC desire s, Sony x10 arc, HTC incredible and nexus s which I just bought which are running android 2.3 I think.

Thanks a mill.

I cant buy the Iphone with emobile and from what everybody has said, its not really any benefit for me to fork out big bucks to get a new Iphone (my one is busted) simply so I can use it on my new network!

TBH Im not really sure what to go for, I understand people have their preferances, but it seems like if you put the time into getting to know how to maximise that Galaxy phone, its a better phone in general.

The HTC widlfire and HTC Desire Z are also available with Emobile, are these also good mobiles ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

If you're the kind of person who likes to put time into getting to know a device, and you want to get the most out of your gadgets, then try a Galaxy S - you'll probably enjoy exploring it.

But if you can't be arsed with tinkering, and just want to do stuff, you'll probably be better off with the iPhone -- look for a 2nd-hand 3GS, or swallow the repair cost for your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Drumpot just had a look at emobile website and if i was to buy a phone i would go for Galaxy S or Sony Xperia Arc. Arc is running gingerbread and has a flash camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I'm in same boat..iPhone 3GS in bits..entitled to a VF upgrade mostly for free... I'm thinking HTC ?? Any good windows 7 fones out there??

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Just a quick word of caution, while the Androids are excellent handsets, iPhone users generally (and by no means all) become fatigued with Android after a few weeks/months. This can be quite an expensive mistake. I've had quite a few customers bring back HTC Desire's, etc after a few months and buying an iPhone on PAYG.

If you are genuinely sick of iOS and some of the restrictions then Android is worth looking at. If you like iOS but you would like to customise it a bit, jailbreaking may be a better option for you. If you love/like iOS exactly as it is, then Android probably will not do it for you.

All Im saying is think very carefully about making the change, is there a particular reason you want to be on eMobile?

bd250110 wrote: »
    Just a quick word of caution, while the Androids are excellent handsets, iPhone users generally (and by no means all) become fatigued with Android after a few weeks/months. This can be quite an expensive mistake. I've had quite a few customers bring back HTC Desire's, etc after a few months and buying an iPhone on PAYG.

If you are genuinely sick of iOS and some of the restrictions then Android is worth looking at. If you like iOS but you would like to customise it a bit, jailbreaking may be a better option for you. If you love/like iOS exactly as it is, then Android probably will not do it for you.

All Im saying is think very carefully about making the change, is there a particular reason you want to be on eMobile?

Thanks for all the tips everybody . .

You see I am sort of in a bit of a rock and a hard place. . I do love the Iphone, but Im not exclusively stuck on it.

I love its applications and ease of use, but I dont mind putting in some work on a new platform like the SMS. That said, I hate the first time you get something and you havent a clue. But I would imagine coming to a forum here and saying exactly what I am trying to do would help (I enjoy these kind of factfinding missions!).

I am mainly only leaving the Iphone because my current one is broken and I will be moving service providers. The new one does not sell the Iphone and I was told by a few people that the SMS is a good alternative if you are happy to put in the time.

For work, I need to be able to answer calls. After that, the rest is for me to explore. Would I be correct in saying that once you get a decent grasp of how to personalise the SMS, it gets easier to refine it and put all the Apps that you want on it ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement