Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chain harrowing

• 14-04-2011 5:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

what are the advanatages/disadvantages of chain harrowing a pasture grass field. heard a lot of people are doing it now. When is the best time for doing it? could one do it after a field is grazed? will it improve grass quality.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

what are the advanatages/disadvantages of chain harrowing a pasture grass field. heard a lot of people are doing it now. When is the best time for doing it? could one do it after a field is grazed? will it improve grass quality.

The harrow removes old dead grass from the pasture. It allows the grass to have more space to grow and allows more air into it. I try to do it on pasture at least once per year after the pasture has been eaten. I think it gives a better regrowth. Others may do it differently though. We've been doing it for 30 years now. A harrow will last a lifetime and they are very cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 AtillaTheHun

great job for recreational grassland care:D and burning diesel;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

great job for recreational grassland care:D and burning diesel;)

Ah now, I have an 8ft one and I can pull it after the Mf35 with ease. A gallon of diesel in it would harrow 50 acres - its never under any pressure with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I have bits of fields that the sheep never go near (the fields should be split into paddocks, but thats another story)

There is a LOT of old dead grass, so much the grass is nearly "spongey" to walk on in places.

Whats the best (and cheapest) thing to do here, to clean it up and bring some bit of good grass into it? Long term, dividing and reseeding would be the plan. But in the meantime, what would be the best plan?

Would a grass harrow be the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

advantages

better grass/silage quality and better growth

better response to fertilizer and slurry ,

best time is after grazing you need reasonable dry conditions ideally followed by a few showers

the remark about burning diesel is only bullsh1t we usually harrow with a 16ft and a IH 885, the benefits far out way the expense occurred

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

A run of the chain harrow, is also better than rolling poached fields. You get a nice break up of the rough ground if you leave it till its fairly dry and crisp. Sometimes follow up with a light roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Don't think we have chain harrowed in nearly 30 years.

I don't think any dairy farmer is chain harrowing now as grazing techniques have improved and grass is much better utilised now so it is unnecessary

For dry stock maybe a different story but we have never done it on the cattle land either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

(the fields should be split into paddocks, but thats another story)

I'd be starting on that plan (helpful, I know, thank me later :D ). Everytime ya break the place up with a new fence you'll be closer to your goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 AtillaTheHun

snowman707 wrote: »
    advantages

better grass/silage quality and better growth

better response to fertilizer and slurry ,

best time is after grazing you need reasonable dry conditions ideally followed by a few showers

the remark about burning diesel is only bullsh1t we usually harrow with a 16ft and a IH 885, the benefits far out way the expense occurred

I can 'agree to disagree' with you but i don't think there is any need for foul language! I belive this is a 'forum'

I struggle to see the benefit of chain harrowing with modern grazing techniques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

I know of no dairy farmers doing it. John spend your money on paddocks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

st1979 wrote: »
    I know of no dairy farmers doing it. John spend your money on paddocks

Lord have mercy, but these dairy farmers, must be the most efficient farmers in the universe:rolleyes:
    Follow the dairy boys and ye will all be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We've never harrowed ground only during re-seeding a good few years ago.. I know of no farms in our area where harrowing is currently being done...

I've often wondered why it stopped, my parents often spoke about land round here being harrowed every year.. did folks just get lazy when fertilizer got affordable??

We're working on rushes first but would definitely give it a go at some stage..

Advertisement