Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters & HDip at the same time? Advice?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hey there,

I'm applying for a one-year, full-time Masters in September.

However I've also come across a part-time, almost completely on-line, two-year Higher Diploma course that I would also love to do.

I was just wondering if anyone thought that doing both at the same time would be too much?

Thanks-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

There's usually a lot of project work in masters but it depends on the subject areas.
    Given that the HD is online, I think that you wouldn't be under as much pressure without having to travel.

I think you would have to find out how flexible and much notice you'd get for projects as collision would mean a very heavy workload.

Keep in mind that there's huge variance across the amount of work involved in a masters throughout colleges and courses. In my opinion, ask previous attendees, if possible, paying particular attention to the assignments.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭An Cuinneach

Cheers for the advice! The Masters is in Linguistics in UCD. I've no idea what there exam/projects workload is like, so I may throw another post specifically about that up-

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Is the part time one in translation by any chance? I'm doing that at the moment, if that's what you're thinking of let me know and I can give you more info. I'm doing the Dip in education next year so I may be doing two at once as well, but will hopefully be allowed defer the translation for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭An Cuinneach

dory wrote: »
    Is the part time one in translation by any chance? I'm doing that at the moment, if that's what you're thinking of let me know and I can give you more info. I'm doing the Dip in education next year so I may be doing two at once as well, but will hopefully be allowed defer the translation for a year.

Hi Dory, yeah I was looking at the Ard-Dioplóma in Aistriúchán. What's the course like to do? The online aspect would suit me perfectly if I were to be accepted into the Masters, but I wasn't sure on how tough the workload was.

Advertisement