Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folding@home costing me over 20 euro a year to run

• 14-04-2011 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭

Having used a plug in power meter device I found that my desktop (a Intel E8200 based machine) is using around 11W more with the F@H client running(1 core), its on for about 14 hours per day and sits idle when nobody is usuing it. Usually someone is using it but I figured it might as well be doing something.

The laptop (With AMD Neo MV-40 processor) uses a similar amount more but isn't used as frequently as the desktop.

I have a home server as well with a VIA C7 processor that also uses a couple watts more under load and has F@H running 24/7.

So estimated running costs are 20-30 euros per year. I know it will also contribute a small bit extra to heating the room but it's expensive heat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Has this Folding@home project actually achieved anything significant or even minor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Dempsey wrote: »
    Has this Folding@home project actually achieved anything significant or even minor?

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Papers

Not sure. It all goes over my head and means nothing to me. Biology was never my thing

Advertisement