Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergy testing?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend anywhere to get allergy testing done on a child?

I think there was a Chinese place down by the Four Laterns, (Donegal town) but I'm not sure if it is still there or not

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

as a nut, pollen, duck feather, dust mite, cat, dog hair allergy ridden guy i'd head to gp for blood and prick test really simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

there is a Chinese herbalist above the garage near LYIT, but I don't know if he/she does allergy testing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Your doctor will do one if you have any concerns:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I'm sure Mella Briton, above Britons Chemist does that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭zeissman

Go and see your doctor and get it done properly at a hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

Why anyone would consider allergy testing outside of a healthcare setting is beyond me.

The testing is in fact introducing allergens to your system and that is not without consequences. People have died as a result from Anaphylaxis. This condition must be treated rapidly and can be reversed if identified and caught in time.

Therefore proper testing should also involve the ability to treat Anaphylaxis. In other words arrange for the testing through your GP.

Why anyone would consider allergy testing outside of a healthcare setting is beyond me.

The testing is in fact introducing allergens to your system and that is not without consequences. People have died as a result from Anaphylaxis. This condition must be treated rapidly and can be reversed if identified and caught in time.

Therefore proper testing should also involve the ability to treat Anaphylaxis. In other words arrange for the testing through your GP.

agree 100% with this. i've come quite close with my nut allergy before and it took blood tests to find out just how severe my reactions can be. now i have to carry 2 adreniline pens with me at all times and always take anti allergy tablets. i'd take proper western advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Mela Britton in Donegal Town does a food intolerance testing using kinesiology. This is very different than a food allergy testing. Allergies can kill you, intolerances don't (they just make you not feel great).

Having said that, I had Mela do a kinesiology test on my daughter when she was just under a year, and through it we found out she had a really strong intolerance to wheat, and a slight intolerance to chicken & haddock (of all things!) The test itself seemed very hoky poky - Mela never even touched my daughter - but when we took our child off the indicated foods, the difference in her personality was astonishing.

OP - if you think your child has an allergy, get a blood test done by your GP or hospital. If you think it may be more an intolerance, I can't recommend Mela highly enough - she was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Ayla wrote: »
    Mela Britton in Donegal Town does a food intolerance testing using kinesiology. This is very different than a food allergy testing. Allergies can kill you, intolerances don't (they just make you not feel great).

Having said that, I had Mela do a kinesiology test on my daughter when she was just under a year, and through it we found out she had a really strong intolerance to wheat, and a slight intolerance to chicken & haddock (of all things!) The test itself seemed very hoky poky - Mela never even touched my daughter - but when we took our child off the indicated foods, the difference in her personality was astonishing.

OP - if you think your child has an allergy, get a blood test done by your GP or hospital. If you think it may be more an intolerance, I can't recommend Mela highly enough - she was amazing.
    I really like the sound of this. Is it expensive?

Honestly I can't remember the exact costs now, but I think the initial exam was around €40. Like I said, the test *seemed* crazy at the time, but when we took our daughter off the indicated foods, the changes were dramatic.

After a month, we returned for a check-up test (which was only about 20 mins & cost maybe €20-30). The results of this showed that the intolerances had reduced (which is very common) and we've been able to reintroduce all foods to my daughter with no significant side effects.

Food intolerances are very common with all people - children and adults like - and most go unheeded. Symptoms are sometimes bloating, sluggishness, bad skin/hair, etc etc etc. Nothing that will kill you - unlike food allergies which can. I personally would recommend anyone get intolerance testing - I had no idea how bad wheat/gluten made me feel until I went off it during my daughter's gluten-free month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Does anyone know of someone around the Letterkenny / Finn Valley area that does food intolerance testing?

<SNIP>

ummmmm skin testing or prick test didn't show up my nut allergy but when they tested my blood they were shocked at how dangerous my situation was, so i'm all for alternative testing but be sure to get proper scientific testing done in a GPs or similer before heading off down the path of alternative testing/treating and always air on the side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Watch out with these alternative medicine people.

A 'kinesiologist' once recommended that I put baking soda in little plastic bags and place them next to all the electrical sockets in the house. In my opinion, this is complete quackery with no basis in fact, reality or science.

Before giving any money to this sort of person, make sure you do some research yourself. Read opposing viewpoints and make sure who you're dealing with works from actual cited science, not superstition.

phaxx wrote: »
    Watch out with these alternative medicine people.

A 'kinesiologist' once recommended that I put baking soda in little plastic bags and place them next to all the electrical sockets in the house. In my opinion, this is complete quackery with no basis in fact, reality or science.

Before giving any money to this sort of person, make sure you do some research yourself. Read opposing viewpoints and make sure who you're dealing with works from actual cited science, not superstition.

Ok off topic slightly but what did they say that this would help?

danniemcq wrote: »

unless is private of course! sorry shoulda said that!

A nasal allergy/sensitivity. This person asked about my lifestyle, went "Ooh, you work with computers!" and decided that baking soda would somehow help. Hilarious, isn't it?

did you hear that noise? that was me smacking my hand against my forehead.

thats the most rediculous "cure" for ANYTHING i think i ever heard of!

did you hear that noise? that was me smacking my hand against my forehead.

thats the most rediculous "cure" for ANYTHING i think i ever heard of!

Yup.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread. All I wanted to say was that one should be wary of claims from alternative medicine people. People should do their homework, read opposing viewpoints, and not be fooled by broad claims about being able to heal anything and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

herbal remedies are excellent though, I recently discovered a powerful herbal tincture made from a herb called Cleavers which you can find almost anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry guys if the thread looks a bit different. We dont allow people to sign up and use this forum for personal gain so I have had to remove a couple of posts and edit another.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

<SNIP>

ummmmm skin testing or prick test didn't show up my nut allergy but when they tested my blood they were shocked at how dangerous my situation was, so i'm all for alternative testing but be sure to get proper scientific testing done in a GPs or similer before heading off down the path of alternative testing/treating and always air on the side of caution.

Next time you at football im going to cover myself in peanut butter and make sure you get a good covering of it too :p

Can i report mods for threats of physical violence leading to a possible death?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Can i report mods for threats of physical violence leading to a possible slow, agonising death?
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Just wanna add to this here. Ive been to <SNIP> since I last posted and it really sorted out my diet and found out foods that I was intolerant to and vitamins I was lacking in and since I changed my diet, have noticed a huge difference.

as a nut, pollen, duck feather, dust mite, cat, dog hair allergy ridden guy i'd head to gp for blood and prick test really simple.
    skin testing or prick test didn't show up my nut allergy but when they tested my blood they were shocked at how dangerous my situation was, so i'm all for alternative testing but be sure to get proper scientific testing done in a GPs

Can I ask a question here? In your first post you advocated a prick test through the GP, but in your later post you mentioned that this same test (done by your GP) missed potentially life-threatening allergies. Also, if your GP did this prick test, doesn't that count as a "proper scientific test," yet it clearly failed you?

Don't get me wrong, as I've said all along in this thread, if there's a potential for an allergy, I'm all for the scientific blood tests. But for intolerances, maybe it's just b/c we had such a positive experience w/ kinesiology that I'm a fan - there are quacks in all walks of life (including GPs, several of whom have failed me & my family on multiple occassions).

Phaxx...I've been thinking all night trying to come up with a reason why anyone would suggest bread soda to negate electrical currents, but for the life of me I just can't....I think you got a nutter there :D

phaxx wrote: »
    All I wanted to say was that one should be wary of claims from alternative medicine people. People should do their homework, read opposing viewpoints, and not be fooled by broad claims about being able to heal anything and everything.

I agree with this 100%.

However, I would also encourage replacing the words "alternative medicine people" with "anyone in the medical profession." Then I think both statements would be sound advice.

People doing their homework & getting many opinions from a variety of disciplines will have the best chance of routing out the real problem & fixing it.

It was a two part test, first one was a prick test as it could be done in a matter of minutes. The blood work took a bit longer for the results to come back though as expected.

They told me this was the story and that they wanted to ensure that they covered all bases before i went out thinking that all was ok and tucking into a bag of KPs

Advertisement