Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Maynooth

Options
  • 14-04-2011 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

I'm in my early 20s, living in Maynooth for years but I've fallen out of touch with my school friends due to people moving away, bereavements etc. I have college friends mostly in Dublin but I'd like to find something to do locally in the evenings/weekends - I buy the local papers, keep an eye on this board, look on notice boards in shops etc but never see anything... I like dancing, quizzes, arts and crafty things, cooking, am pretty open really. Does anyone have any suggestions? All are welcome! Either things I can do by myself or with my other half. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Late 20's relatively new to maynooth.
    I need a hobby so would be interested in anyhting exciting that you find.
    There is a session in The Clock house on Thursdays if you like music,there is the new arts centre too Ionad Ealaíon Cruthaitheach.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

I suppose that living in Maynooth you'd be limited to horse riding activities and golf, if you're aiming for local stuff (some fishing possibly as well, but that's hardly an interesting activity from my point of view). There's probably much more happening at the campus, though it won't be easy to get to that unless you're a student.
    There's apparently a Toastmasters club in Maynooth - google for it if you don't know what that is.
    If you like photograhy, there's an excellent camera club in Celbridge with weekly meetings and loads of activities, I heard.
    That's pretty much as much as I'm aware of, having lived in Maynooth for 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

there is a little new age crystals kind of shop on the main square, i think they have a craft circle/witty knitters social group on saturday mornings. the new arts centre may be a good place to try. I've lived in maynooth for a few years now and its a very pub/drinking orientated town. try the library for activities and groups? there is a lot of stuff in the college but again you have to be a student, if any of your friends are in the college they can bring you to events as a guest. caulfields have a trad session one of the nights if youre into music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Dancing? There's Zumba (google it) in the girls school midweek and Saturday mornings. It's pretty popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Thanks for the replies!

I've discovered that there's adult tennis lessons starting in the North Kildare Club on Thursday evenings at 7pm - I work until 7 on Thursdays unfortunately but Moonbeam, it might be of interest to you?

I work 3 out of 4 Saturdays so Saturday things are out but I will have a look at the arts centre (didn't even know about it!) and the craft shop as there might be something interesting.

Zumba sounds good, will definitely look it up, cheers. I'm going to join a gym too, either Glenroyal or Carton House - not exactly fun but will give me something to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Zumba sounds good, will definitely look it up, cheers. I'm going to join a gym too, either Glenroyal or Carton House - not exactly fun but will give me something to do!

Check out both gyms before signing up to one. Think you'd prefer the glenroyal over carton. But, before you do sign up to them, check out the zumba because it's 8-10 euro a session and doing the two may be a bit costly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The carton gym is nice but apparently the glenroyal is a lot bigger.
    I am going to compile a list of what to do in Maynooth and stick it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭m-a-i-

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I am going to compile a list of what to do in Maynooth and stick it online.

That would be epic :) Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

Thanks for the replies!

I've discovered that there's adult tennis lessons starting in the North Kildare Club on Thursday evenings at 7pm -

Hi OP, just wondering if you had the details for this....I've just been on their site and there's been no "new" news for months.

Cheers bud!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

gwjones42 wrote: »
    Hi OP, just wondering if you had the details for this....I've just been on their site and there's been no "new" news for months.

Cheers bud!

As far as I can remember it was last week's Liffey Champion I saw it in but I can't remember whether they start this Thursday or next. I know it was an hours teaching from 7pm-8pm and then an hours free play from 8pm-9pm. I suppose you'll have to ring them, they're fairly shocking at updating their website alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Al2011

HiI, I'm relatively new to maynooth aswell and was wondering the same, I did see that the library holds 2 book clubs. I just emailed them to see if they are still running etc. I'll let you know when I hear back

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Al2011

Hi, John from the libary got back to me to say that
    "One is an Adult Book Club that meets on the first Monday of every month.
    The second club is one for senior citizens who are members of U3A"

And I asked what did I need to do to join but he said
    "Both book clubs are full at the moment. If we are setting up* a new one we will let you know."

The new arts centre is pretty cool and worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Paul_501

Cycling is good. I cycle around Maynooth to Celbridge, to Intel back to Maynooth. Good exercise, good fun and an excellent way to spend a sunny weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

I've just started jogging again after a lonnnnnnnnnnng break!! I've run along the canal as far as Kilcock a couple of timew. On a sunny day it's beautiful. It feels miles from anywhere.....might be a bit too quiet for going alone for women....or anyone I suppose. Find a running buddy!!

Advertisement