Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Party Theme!

Options
  • 14-04-2011 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Im having some friends (female) around soon for a dinner party and we've each had to pick a theme. I've been thinking of the 80s and clothes and music are easy to put together but i am stumped then!!!
    Has anyone any ideas for a theme? Anything you've tried successfully? Am desperate for help now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Theme dinner parties I've done in the past include a Medieval feast, a Roman feast, the usual ethnic stuff like Indian, Chinese, Greek and Mexican. I've done a Dracula dinner, a Mad Hatter's Tea Party, a Eurovision meal...

Having lived through the 80s I can't really think of any particular food that represents the decade (fondue, maybe?) - think I lived on curries, pizzas and burgers, mostly! 70s would be easier - prawn cocktail, steak, and black forest gateau! Or 50s - Coronation chicken, peas in aspic, trifle etc. plus compulsory smoking at the dinner table ;)

Other ideas - Star Trek (have to have Romulan Ale!), or the Restaurant at the End of the Universe (from Hitch Hikers Guide), an indoor picnic, desert island dinner (if you like coconuts), school dinners (anyone for semolina?), The Flintstones (give 'em a turkey leg each to gnaw on), or maybe just good old French!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

How about woeful childhood food as seen in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71596114

But personally I think retro is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Have decided on the food and its Morroccan night. Am sticking to the 80s dress and music code though.

So going to do a tagine for main. Any thoughts for starters?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Mezze plate? Hummous, baba ganoush, vine leaves, falafel and some flat bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

newbie! wrote: »
    Have decided on the food and its Morroccan night. Am sticking to the 80s dress and music code though.

Sounds great. Though I can never think of Moroccon without thinking of that Ab Fab episode but, back on topic.

With Flikflak on this one, it would pretty much be hassle free. And if you are doing a slow cooking tagine for mains, you'll get to spend loads of time with the girls. Have fun!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement