Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IPF Distinctions

• 14-04-2011 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi, I am new to all this. I know the IPF Distinctions are on this weekend and I was wondering if it is OK for people to go along to have a look.

It says on the site to bring the pictures along between 8.30-9.30 but what would a good time to go to have a look. Are the pictures on view all day. If I wanted to hear so of the comments, dose that happen all day or just the afternoon or evening.

Sorry for all the questions.

Patch..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Spotted on a page linked from photography forum...
    WTD040311SUN.gif?1301796302

Sarcastic? I wish...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

yes you can just go

the pictures are only displayed as they are judged.

but also the national club finals are on at the same time, where the panels from different clubs will be on display

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

ThOnda wrote: »

What the **** ?????????? Are you on about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

bigjoe wrote: »
    What the **** ?????????? Are you on about

Thats a good question. A simple answer would have been adequate. STCSTC answered the question perfectly.
    Thonda has a problem with IPF distinctions obviously

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

some people regard these awards as a bit of a farse, i see his point, i also see the merits...kinda...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

The IPF distinctions (or any other distinctions for that matter) simply prove that you can produce a panel of images that comply with the requirements of the rewarding body.

The IPF distinctions place a value on a certain set of technical and artistic criteria. Although they are not necessarily constraining by their nature (I've seen some very original IPF panels) they do tend to push a lot of applicants towards a 'recipe' that is rewarded by getting an 'L'.

Fair enough, if that's what you want. Personally, I don't feel the need to validate my photography that way.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

cbrlover wrote: »
    Hi, I am new to all this. I know the IPF Distinctions are on this weekend and I was wondering if it is OK for people to go along to have a look.

It says on the site to bring the pictures along between 8.30-9.30 but what would a good time to go to have a look. Are the pictures on view all day. If I wanted to hear so of the comments, dose that happen all day or just the afternoon or evening.

Sorry for all the questions.

Patch..

I'll be there for two days along with the Missus and a few others from our club. The club has two panels in for the first time in years and I think we've three members going for their L's. It's quite good to watch, especially if the judges give feedback on the panels. And yes, you can go watch for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 cbrlover

ThOnda wrote: »

I take it you are afraid to enter or think you are above it but won’t put your money where you mouth is.

Why do people knock things like this instead of embracing it? In fairness looking here http://www.flickr.com/photos/thonda/ (nothing better than snap shots at best) I can see why you knock it rather than giving it a go and learning something form the experience. You have nothing to shout about being fair I have seen better on this site from first time posters.

Having said that one thing I love about photography is perception. What you think is good enough to show to people I would delete.

If you feel like been negative, pause a moment think and shut up.

Best of luck to those entering a panel.

Patch

To be honest, I am finding distinctions and the level of photography in them too limited, restricted and almost inbred. It is nice and good to encourage people to get grips with basic rules, techniques and photographed subjects, but trying to please somebody with extremely predictable pictures that most of the time reduce the authors' creativity to picturesque nice imagery, that seems a bit shallow.
    Especially when I have to pay to get somebody's opinion on the photographs. But opinion of person that have some distinctions. And it is most likely that the person, although good in one or few photography fields, will tend to mark and glorify the judged pictures purely on personal basis without deeper scope of photography as an art discipline.
    I have seen sooo many bad, and I mean BAD pictures that got distinctions, but would not get more than five thumbs up here in Random threads. And most of the time, when I saw a panel or heard the speech of the author, they were literally trying to fit the pictures into the panel, so all pictures nicely blend together.
    Isn't there a bit more in photography? Why are not the pictures judged by people who know a bit more about photography, who are capable of putting the intention into their work to change imagery into art? Why good commercial photographers don't post funny letters behind their names?
    To get motivated, learn and progress to understand and cope with the basics of photography and aesthetics, yes, go there and make up your mind. It is always, and I do stress always good to see other peoples' work. But at the moment, when you feel proficient in taking long exposure shots of water, naked girls with bad make-up, swans and poor children in developing countries (really, choose only the poor ones, who's parent's cannot sue you, just don't do that in Phoenix Park), consider if you really want to get your ego massaged by distinctions, or if you want to do a bit more with hour camera, skills, time and money. Why not to get your work assessed by professional photographer or person with proven academic history?

In short, distinctions are not my cup of photography tea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As said by Steve, you can go along and watch the process. If you are considering going for a distinction then it's a good idea to see what it's all about before you start to get a panel together. If you have questions about the way things are done or what is required of a panel then there will be people around on the day to assist you and answer questions.

A few people here, including myself, have gained IPF Distinctions. It is not & should not be seen as defining your photography. What it does do is set a defined standard to achieve within the scope of the Distinction System. Personally I enjoyed the challenge and was pleased to have succeeded. Others would not find it enjoyable and, quite rightly, avoid the whole thing.

Having said that ..... Thonda's problem is not that he's a poor photographer, he's just been held back by his refusal to use proper equipment. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I take it you are afraid to enter or think you are above it but won’t put your money where you mouth is.

Why do people knock things like this instead of embracing it? In fairness looking here http://www.flickr.com/photos/thonda/ (nothing better than snap shots at best) I can see why you knock it rather than giving it a go and learning something form the experience. You have nothing to shout about being fair I have seen better on this site from first time posters.

Having said that one thing I love about photography is perception. What you think is good enough to show to people I would delete.

Patch

i can see you lasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Patch
    Big words for someone with 4 posts and no photos on display.

I suggest you show yourself to the door.

Big words for someone with 4 posts and no photos on display.

His name is 'Patch'... 'chip' might be more apt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

His name is 'Patch'... 'chip' might be more apt.

I can think of a much better 5 letter word starting with P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Patch

Hey ..... please don't continue down this line. I think you will find that Thonda is a highly regarded photographer here. While he will accept C&C, saying a Flickr Stream is just Snap Shots is not welcome.

If you have an opinion on Distinctions then feel free to express it, but please do not make it personal.

... (nothing better than snap shots at best) ...

Thank you for being objective and not taking the discussion personally. I am glad you understood that I am posting snapshots on Flickr for wider audience, like my family, who like to know what I am doing, my friends, who are interested in places I visit and people I meet and other people, who just like to look at snaps. Some learn from liking them, the others learn what not to do.

Thank you for knowing what I want to do in photography and that I am not posting publicly all pictures that I create. Thank you for knowing how many people I am asking for their feedback on my photography (and not only the public pictures).

Your response was really beneficial and informative to the whole thread.

And to steer the thread a bit away, but not too much, I do struggle to engage discussion on photography that won't get selfishly personal, but could stay focused on the work that is being discussed. I bet the guys above know how bad I am in receiving critique, but if I have ever learned anything about creative arts, it is that people who "know" and "can do" usually tend to help. Even in form of negative critique, because they can explain why they gave such critique and with intentions to explain why they have such opinion on the piece of art in question. /EndOfDetour

And, gentlemen, although I do appreciate your intentions, we don't need to go in such direction, to get this interesting thread neither moderated, locked nor deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

nvm.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 cbrlover

What? some are entitled to give an opinion and I am not. If that is the way it is, maybe I will just take the door.

All I did was ask about going along on the day. I did not ask for individual opinions about the process, I can make up my own mind but if people want to leave themselves open by making remarks about something they were not asked too, why cant I.

Sorry but it is a pet hate I have about people on forums, they but in and disturb a thread with their negative attitude. If you want to be negative about something start your own thread about it, don’t hijack another.

SORRY I asked now but I will be there to learn, not be afraid to learn or let on I know it all. Come next November I will put my money where my mouth is if I feel I am up to the standard but I have a lot to learn first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

sometimes the best advice we can take is our own ;)

i'd be with dakar on this one, HOWEVERRRRRRR a mate of mine got his L a few years back, and his stuff was a bit different than the usual. i'd be interested to go along to a judging and actually hear the kinds of criticisms and criteria they come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

What? some are entitled to give an opinion and I am not. If that is the way it is, maybe I will just take the door.

All I did was ask about going along on the day. I did not ask for individual opinions about the process, I can make up my own mind but if people want to leave themselves open by making remarks about something they were not asked too, why cant I.

Sorry but it is a pet hate I have about people on forums, they but in and disturb a thread with their negative attitude. If you want to be negative about something start your own thread about it, don’t hijack another.

SORRY I asked now but I will be there to learn, not be afraid to learn or let on I know it all. Come next November I will put my money where my mouth is if I feel I am up to the standard but I have a lot to learn first.

Can we sticky the definition of "ad homiem"?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

artyeva wrote: »
    i'd be interested to go along to a judging and actually hear the kinds of criticisms and criteria they come up with.

Unfortunately (from my limited experience) they don't critique the L panels - there's too many. If you pass you just get the nod but if you fail, they include their reasons in writing when they return your panel so only you get to see it.

However on the A's and the F's they do openly discuss the pics which is great to listen in to.

By the way, the What the Duck cartoon strip is from this thread. I would not be creative and bold enough to create something like that. And it is being published for example in Amateur Photographer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

question answered.

/thread closed.

OP - I suggest you familiarise yourself with the forum charter if you are to continue posting on this forum. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement