Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History or International Relations Advice

Options
  • 14-04-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

Im currently trying to decide on a postgrad to apply for. I have a Business Degree (2:1) and have spent the last 4 years working in an accountancy office and doing the accountancy exams. I decided about a year ago that accountancy wasn't for me (still sat my final exams but failed, heart wasnt really in it) and that I wanted to go down a career path in history/politics which has always been of huge interest to me. History was always my favourite subject in school but unfortunately I had to chose between it and accountancy for the Leaving and went with accountancy on the basis that I would be more likely to get a job out of it. This led onto business in college and becoming a trainee accountant. I feel now that this "going with the flow" was a big mistake and I should have gone with study/career where my interests lie.

Im now looking at a few postgrads, particularly history and international relations. The history postgrad would be a higher diploma and would lead onto a masters. I would be open to doing a phd too if I was eligible to do it after the masters. The international relations option is a straight masters and again I would be open to a phd after, if I qualified for it.

My worry is that I'm 27 in a few months and have spend the last 9 years since school doing business related studies. Is it too late to start down a completely new path and would I be able for these courses considering I havent formally studied History since the junior cert? Also the bottom line comes into it too. What kind of career opportunities would I have after a masters in History? Is it basically just lecturing or teaching. I would like to do lecturing or research at college level but would probably need a phd? Also what would a masters in international relations do for me career wise? I know the dream is probably bussells or the UN, etc but what is realistic? I presume the dept of foreign affairs is as cash strapped as the rest of the government depts as regards taking on new staff.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the History option as I think its where my interest lies more than International Relations but jobs wise would IR give more options? Also, I love the idea of travelling widely as part of a job or spending a few years working abroad, which I presume is more likely to happen working in international relations

As ye can see I'm a bit torn on the issue and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It's never too late to start down a different path, particularly one you're really interested in but (especially in the current climate) it could be a long road on which you won't see any actual reward for quite a while. You're lucky that you already have work experience and a skillset (finance) that you can fall back on.

My own 2c worth - my undergrad major was history and my masters was in politics with a heavy focus on post-conflict political reconstruction which covered a lot of IR material. It is a very exciting field to be in and you would study with/under some fantastic people. Careerwise I didn't pursue history beyond my undergrad because I didn't want to teach it and to be honest it's rare I'd ever see a job description that requires a masters in history. I'd never say it was a waste of time, but in terms of employability if you are dead set against teaching, there are better subjects you could choose. However, if you wanted to dip your toe in the waters on the research side you could try an MRes which is a masters by research, generally longer than a taught masters in duration, but perhaps more relevant if you have research/PhD in your sights (not sure if they'd prefer a history undergrad for MRes though). The research skills you acquire from an MRes make the subject you actually did it in less important. You'd generally need a PhD to lecture at university level.

IR would broaden your employment horizons more than history, but competition is fierce. As you have your finance training on your side would you consider combining the two, or are you trying to move away from accountancy altogether? What a lot of people don't realise is that having a degree in IR isn't enough - you need a tangible skill (i.e. accountancy in your case) to offer an employer. DFA rarely recruit and when they do very few people make the cut. Perhaps surprisingly, any kind of IR study isn't a pre-requisite. I know people who work in Brussels and for the UN in the field and it's certainly doable, but a degree/masters is only really the start.

I certainly don't want to put you off changing paths - it can be wonderfully fulfilling. I'd just consider where your real interests lie and try to form a plan of some kind of how you'd get to where you want to go :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

First off, with a masters in history teaching isn't a possibility. Even if you had a PhD you need an undergrad in it to teach at second level.

As for IR/History - only you can really know what you're interested. I did a masters quite similar to IR and ended up getting a good job from it, but I also speak a few foreign languages and have worked abroad before which all help. If you're thinking about a PhD then really, you have to go for what you love. If it's a diplomat you want to be then an MA in IR is certainly not necessary - I know vets who are now diplomats. But it's fiercely competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Don't worry too much about your age profile. At 27 you are still a young person and thus can and should take this opportunity to look into alternative education if your current life in accountancy is unfulfilling.

I personally have a similar history to yourself in terms of just going with the safe option and ultimately regretting it so I decided to make a change. I went back to college as a mature student and got a first in Media Mangement and Journalism. As Journalism work was thin on the ground and pretty poorly paid, I decided to do CELTA and teach English in Italy for a while, as I have a reasonable grasp of Italian. I am enjoying it but must admit that I too have looked into the international relations masters as I do not see myself teaching forever. However I have met some NATO people, including a high ranking US diplomat here in Naples as there is a large base, and not one of them seem to have a qualification in IR. Most are lawyers or ex soldiers. So to echo the advice above, I really do not know if a masters in IR will lead to work in the field.

Advertisement