Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AG science

• 14-04-2011 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Would anyone know of any were in Dublin north that does after school AG science For leaving cert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Westsa

Roibeard l wrote: »
    Would anyone know of any were in Dublin north that does after school AG science For leaving cert

Yes I do. But why are you looking for a school teaching Agri Science?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

What difference does it make to you? Maybe his/her school doesn't offer it as a subject!

pajero12 wrote: »
    What difference does it make to you? Maybe his/her school doesn't offer it as a subject!

Well it depends what the person is looking for?

For example if his/her school doesn't offer the subject it will be difficult to do the subject outside the school unless a teacher within the school is prepared to guide and help the student complete the substantial coursework (which is worth 25%). The state exams comission requires that all coursework be monitored by a qualified teacher and signed off by that teacher and the Principal of the school. If not then the student should not attempt to the subject on their own.

In addition if the student really wants to go to a school that offers Agri science for the leaving cert, then I can provide some addresses of schools that provide the course.

That ok with you!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No need to get so narky. The OP didn't say if they wanted to take up the subject for LC or was simply looking for somewhere for someone else etc etc. Maybe the OP is a parent enquiring on behalf of their son or daughter. And everything that Westsa posted is correct. The student needs to have a teacher monitor their work and sign off on the project. Can't do the subject without a teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What difference does it make to you?
    Try asking yourself the same question before you take the nose off someone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Roibeard l

Im Looking to do it after school for leaving cert and its not a subject in my school
    Or would anyone know any teachers that would do it after school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

would anyone know any teachers that would do it after school

Grinds? - Try here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117777

Need an a teacher to do whole course and to do the projects

Im Looking to do it after school for leaving cert and its not a subject in my school
    Or would anyone know any teachers that would do it after school

I suggest you check to see if the Institute is doing an outside class. You need a teacher to monitor and assess the coursework. I teach the subject myself but unfortunately my school won't be doing an outside class.

Would you not consider going to a school that offers it. I hear Castleknock Community College is offering next year.
    Hope this helps.

Westsa wrote: »
    I suggest you check to see if the Institute is doing an outside class. You need a teacher to monitor and assess the coursework. I teach the subject myself but unfortunately my school won't be doing an outside class.

Would you not consider going to a school that offers it. I hear Castleknock Community College is offering next year.
    Hope this helps.

The Institute only do it for full time course and i only moved to Rosmini last year so i don't think ill be moving again

• Advertisement

The Institute only do it for full time course and i only moved to Rosmini last year so i don't think ill be moving again

Try talking to your Biology teacher, see if he / she might consider monitoring your course work. Otherwise I think you'll have to give it a miss unfortunately. It's a difficult thing to do outside school because of the coursework requirements and this work has to be intially marked by a teacher before it is checked by the State exam monitors. If you check the other thread on Agri Science, you will find a detailed description of the coursework by rainbow trout. It might be an idea to bring this to the attention of your Biology teacher if they are willing to monitor your work.

Alri but what about the project work

Alri but what about the project work

Well what about it exactly? Westsa recommended you read the main ag science thread where there are detailed descriptions of what the project work consists of.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055467114

However you can't do the coursework unless you have a teacher who is willing to monitor you and grade your coursework.

where do you do the project work??

where do you do the project work??

Have you read the thread I linked above about the project?

Have you read the thread I linked above about the project?

iits all done in school ?I thought you had to go out to do your experiments

iits all done in school ?I thought you had to go out to do your experiments

I'm not sure what you're not getting about ag science. You have to get practical farm experience. Naturally that involves visiting a farm. You have to do experiments. They are done in the lab under the supervision of a teacher. That same teacher grades your project which consists of your experiments and your project on crops and livestock and a few other things.

So forget about the project and all it entails until you find a teacher willing to take you on.

alright thanks

Can anyone tell me the name of the Book for AG Science

• Advertisement

Which one? The one myself and westsa wrote or one of the other ones?

Breaking Ground (Cronin/Tiernan) Edco. Google it and you'll find it.

would you recommend buying Dictionary Of Agriculture

would you recommend buying Dictionary Of Agriculture

Well I don't have one myself and to be honest no I wouldn't. A dictionary of agriculture will only give you definitions for agricultural terms. It won't give you an understanding of the subject or the context of a subject.

Also there's usually a free one in September or October with the Farmer's Journal for Leaving Certs and that should do you fine.

Alright thanks for the Info

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement