Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

claas 250/254/255 opinions?

• 14-04-2011 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

well, we have a claas 46 standard and were looking for a chopper, what are yere views on the claas 250/254/255. i hear that that the 250 and 254 were trouble and the 255 was a good baler? could any one clear that up for me and maybe give some advise. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

If you're happy with the 46, you could get a 46 Rotocut for handy enough money. We got a 255 in 2009 and are quite happy with it. I've no experience of a 254, but I think the only difference from the 255 is it doesn't have the MPS. I had heard the 250 wasn't the best, but again, I have no experience of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭beretta686s

total scrap hate the sight of them go mc-hale and ull never look back,from a guy worked and them yolks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Would agree that the McHale is a top class machine but.....its also a top class price. It all depends what you want your baler to do for you. Have no experience of Claas balers OP so can't give any definitive view on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭agrostar

well, we have a claas 46 standard and were looking for a chopper, what are yere views on the claas 250/254/255. i hear that that the 250 and 254 were trouble and the 255 was a good baler? could any one clear that up for me and maybe give some advise. thanks.

Pulled a Claas 255 for 3yrs they're an alright baler they make a good enough bale but have a high power consumption compared to other leading brand balers. The back door chains tend to wear out very quickly as well around every 3-4k bales if i remember correctly. The net can also pose some annoying problems as the knife wont cut the net correctly sometimes when the roll of net is near full as the net brake wont engage the roll of net correctly and treads will hang down into the bale chamber and the net will start running into the next bale when it is only half formed, some mess taking it off in the winter............This can be easily solved by either reducing the revs while netting or placing a course carpet under the roll of net between that and the floor to create extra friction. Dont know anything about the 250 r 254 havent since worked for the same man but he has changed to Mchale and is very happy with them only he says the Fusions are very hard on PTO shafts. I think he has replaced two on one of the balers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

agrostar wrote: »
    The net can also pose some annoying problems as the knife wont cut the net correctly sometimes when the roll of net is near full as the net brake wont engage the roll of net correctly and treads will hang down into the bale chamber and the net will start running into the next bale when it is only half formed, some mess taking it off in the winter............This can be easily solved by either reducing the revs while netting or placing a course carpet under the roll of net between that and the floor to create extra friction.

The 250 suffers the same problem, a free farmers journal reflective jackets also does the trick.

With a 250 keep an eye on the pipes carrying grease from the greasing block to the rollers where they pass behind the top cog on the right hand side; the cog and chain have a habit of eating them at this point.
    Also check that the ram that resets the knife is straight and moves freely.

On mine the bale counter misses a few bales every so often, it needs to be moved or modified before the season starts again.

As far other balers being much better it's generally down to the driver, swarth conditions, pressure on the bales and speed. I've baled in the same field as a mchale and there was no difference between the size and weight of the bales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coolio kidddd

If you're happy with the 46, you could get a 46 Rotocut for handy enough money. We got a 255 in 2009 and are quite happy with it. I've no experience of a 254, but I think the only difference from the 255 is it doesn't have the MPS. I had heard the 250 wasn't the best, but again, I have no experience of them.

whats mps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coolio kidddd

agrostar wrote: »
    Pulled a Claas 255 for 3yrs they're an alright baler they make a good enough bale but have a high power consumption compared to other leading brand balers. The back door chains tend to wear out very quickly as well around every 3-4k bales if i remember correctly. The net can also pose some annoying problems as the knife wont cut the net correctly sometimes when the roll of net is near full as the net brake wont engage the roll of net correctly and treads will hang down into the bale chamber and the net will start running into the next bale when it is only half formed, some mess taking it off in the winter............This can be easily solved by either reducing the revs while netting or placing a course carpet under the roll of net between that and the floor to create extra friction. Dont know anything about the 250 r 254 havent since worked for the same man but he has changed to Mchale and is very happy with them only he says the Fusions are very hard on PTO shafts. I think he has replaced two on one of the balers.

what would i need minimum to run a 255...110hp???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

We use a Class 254 on contract. If it's only for your own use, they're grand machines. But they wouldn't be the best to stay going under pressure. If it's high output you want, go McHale. We're changing to a McHale f550 for next year, and a 24ft rake infront of it! :D

Advertisement