Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query about Royale Canin dog food for different breeds

• 14-04-2011 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I got Royale Canin dog food for a samll breed dog by mistake. The dog I have is a large breed dog. Its for the correct age for the dog however i.e over 10 months of age. If I was to feed my dog this even though it states its for a small breed and not a medium breed but increase the weighted amounts stated on the pack would it have an adverse effect. Would it be highly unrecommended. I got it a week ago and only took the bag (6 week supply) out of the shed this morning and reslised it was for a small rather then medium breed dog over 10 months. Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Depends on what kind of dog you have. If your dog is a medium breed then I wouldn't reccommend it as mini breeds are usually fully grown at ten months but most medium breeds aren't fully grown until 12-14 months. The kibbles are really small as well and a bigger dog might choke on them. Your dog is still a puppy so will still need the higher protein and calcium levels found in puppy food. Did you open it already? Any chance you can bring it back to the shop and get it swapped for the right one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

this has happened to me, bags in some of the dif ranges are nearly the same so easily happen. if you cant change it, though i cant see why not i would use it. one bag wont make a bit of difference or what u could do is buy the bag i need and mix them together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I would just use it. I have been in the same situation a few times (got the wrong food) and have just used it, with no problems. Have a look online to check out similar calorie and protein foods to work out how much to feed, or just extrapolate from the weights given on the pack. My only concern would be kibble size - if your dog is a gulper of food, the kibble may cause coughing or gagging if it gets caught. Solve this by either feeding in stages (not giving all the food at once) or by putting something heavy in the bowl for the dog the eat around. If your dog is a slower eater, this wouldn't be an issue. You could also buy a bag of the regular food you use and mix it until all the smaller food is gone.

As portgirl123 already said - it's only one bag and shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 joebloggs97

this has happened to me, bags in some of the dif ranges are nearly the same so easily happen. if you cant change it, though i cant see why not i would use it. one bag wont make a bit of difference or what u could do is buy the bag i need and mix them together.

Thanks for the info folks,

Unfortutnately,

I dumped the receipt out already and the bin collection was yesterday:( The breed I have is a boxer. Do you think it would be okay to see if he will eat it, or should it be a total no go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Thanks for the info folks,

Unfortutnately,

I dumped the receipt out already and the bin collection was yesterday:( The breed I have is a boxer. Do you think it would be okay to see if he will eat it, or should it be a total no go

Definitely give it a try! It'll do him no harm :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I would buy another bag and mix it in, I don't know how long it takes you to get through a bag, but I'd mix half of this one in with a whole bag of the 'proper' food, then mix it again with the next bag you get. Obviously if it takes you a while to get through the bags and theres a chance it'll go out of date, just mix it in with the normal bag now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Boxer's are large breeds, not fully grown until fifteen-sixteen months, so i wouldn't give him that food on its own. Like others have said, get the proper one for him and mix them together, just be careful because the mini kibbles are tiny and boxers have a tendency to try and hoover their food as is.

Advertisement