Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative - Advice needed

• 14-04-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many topics you should discuss in your essay. I've just written a 4 1/2 page essay on Theme or Issue but I've only spoke about two topics in the essay. Would this be ok for the LC?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Not too sure what you're asking. What topics have you written about?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Like I've written about the influence of authority figures and how poverty has an impact on the characters but it's taken 4 and 1/2 pages. Should I write more or is that ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

nommm wrote: »
    Like I've written about the influence of authority figures and how poverty has an impact on the characters but it's taken 4 and 1/2 pages. Should I write more or is that ok?

These topics would be in a cultural context essay, not theme/issue. If that's what you meant, you'd be better off cutting some bits off those topics and adding in a third like gender roles, marriage or morality.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 philip___

For the theme essay, you choose one theme. In my school we dealt with the them of escape, coming to about 6 A4 pages. For the cultural context we compared the three texts under 4 titles- Love, Obedience, Escape and Freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

For theme & issue, we were always told to choose one theme.
    But for general vision & viewpoint / cultural context, two is plenty!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 screaming lobsters

not sure if this will help but have a look.

http://leavingcertenglish.net/2011/04/20/comparative-essay-structure-2/

I agree with the posts above - it sounds like you're mixing up theme or issue with cultural context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Our three comparatives are Hamlet, Inside I'm Dancing, and The Kite Runner

For our cultural context, we mainly focus on location, ethnic groups, religion, perception of the disabled, traditions, and the role of women.

For our vision/viewpoint, we're mainly focused on how the author perceives things like conflict and how they're shown. Similar with theme and issue, conflict, what causes it, what ends it, types of conflict.

Advertisement