Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone Recommendation (GPS and Skype)

Options
  • 14-04-2011 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm looking to find a decent smartphone with GPS and Skype capabilities, along with the standard internet, camera, mp3 player functionality. I'll be moving to Canada on a year long working visa in a few months so an unlocked phone without a contract would likely be best. Pretty open with the price range at the moment, willing to spend the money if its worth it.

Finding it a little hard to tell whether a phone supports Skype or not, independent of what network you're with. Any easy way to figure out if a phone does so?

Also looking for a nice Google Map type navigator to use with the GPS, especially for walking about cities.

Thanks for any help, its greatly appreciated. Also! Forgive my ignorance on the subject!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

All android handset's will have GPS,
    in regard's to skype the only app's that work well with skype seem to be over wifi.

So to sum it up for you any android handset from €99+ will do it for you so if your open to price see what you like and dive in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Skype for android is ****

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I can confirm, Skype for Android ain't great. Calls keep breaking up on me, it's not reliable. Nothing like using Skype on a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

Nothing like using Skype on a PC.

Have you tried it on any other handset?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Skype on the Nokia N8 is very good but I haven't compared it to another handset to be fair.

Ovi Maps is fantastic for Navigation, you don't need internet either(particuarly good if you're abroad), as is Nokia SportsTracker if you want to log routes, average speed vs. time, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

What other smartphones dont you need the internet for maps etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tremulous

Cheers for all the feedback guys. So Non-Android phone if I want decent quality from Skype and Ovi-Maps seems like it'd do the job. Thank you!

Might go hunting around ebay for a nice deal on an unlocked phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

I have a Nokia 5230. It is getting old and needs replacing.

I have Skype on it through the 3 Network. (It is the only reason I am on the crappy/expensive 3 network) There was a recent Skype for mobile upgrade. I find it is brilliant clear calls! Biggest problem seems to be that my 80-year-old grandmother in NZ just discovered you can conference call on Skype!! Was busy at work an hour ago, had the Grandparents, Mother, Sister, Aunt & Uncle call me for a chat!!!! Four-way conference call, across three countries! Only problem was stopping them from all talking at the same time! (And getting away to get back to work!)

Advertisement