Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mystery Fur

• 14-04-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I was walking down by the river in my town today and came across a this bunch of white-orange fur. It all seemed to be in one small area, and I couldn't see any signs of blood nearby. Anybody any idea what animal it may have come from, or even what might have happened? My first thought was that somebody had cut their dogs hair and just left it out as nesting material for birds.. ???
    5618965159_e3b3a5b84a_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

could be wool, or some cow hair from the tail.

dont ask me how it got there.

dunno how good your nose is but smelling it might reveal some secrets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'd be inclined to think dog...though that big lump on the right looks very long.
    That kind of thing that would have my head wrecked trying to figure it out :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

littlebug wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to think dog...though that big lump on the right looks very long.
    That kind of thing that would have my head wrecked trying to figure it out :pac:

Very same stuff comes off my aunts german sheperds when she brushes them. Dont blame them for doing it at the canal, her yards a state for days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Bagmagnet

I've attached another image. This is a closer photo, you can see some thicker black hairs too. Not too sure if that's of any use in identifying it.
    Also, the nearest cows are about 4 miles away from this area, it's on a small path beside the river, no room for large animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Looks like Dog hair to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

I'd hazard a guess and say it's a golden retriever or even a pom or long haired lap dog shedding a longer than normal winter coat after the bad one we just had. Owner may have brought the brush on a walk and taken the clumps off it off there instead of in their house :D
    PS Re blood, was there much? Hope nothing happend the poor mite like fight or something... are there wire fences/barbed wire near by? They could have gotten caught in it and what you've seen is the remnants of trying to get them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Bagmagnet

Yeah, it probably is dog hair, but as to how it got there, I don't know.
    No barbed wire near the spot where it was found, and there was no blood.
    Probably someone dumping hair where they thought it might be useful to birds, that's my guess anyway..
    Thanks for all the analysis

Advertisement