Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Court of Justice and Internet Filtering

• 14-04-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for this (or if I'm even allowed to post it at all) but I thought people would like to know about this opinion as it impacts everyone and especially impacts Eircom users:
    Today, the European Court of Justice gave a preliminary opinion that will have far-reaching implications in the fight against overaggressive copyright monopoly abusers. It is not a final verdict, but the advocate general’s position; the Court generally follows this. The Advocate Generals says that no ISP can be required to filter the Internet, and particularly not to enforce the copyright monopoly.
    This means that Eircom can no longer be forced to eavesdrop on its customers to filter out certain parts...
    http://falkvinge.net/2011/04/14/european-court-of-justice-to-outlaw-internet-filtering-esp-for-copyright-enforcement/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

The EU Court seem to understand technology better than most.
    They stopped MS monopolies, there's a case about Sony taking out Other OS if I'm not mistaken, and this is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I came across a couple of articles about this over the past while. I can't say I'm shocked by the verdict at all really, however I do find it a welcome one. As /\/ollog said, the EU court have done well on several occasions in the past.

Advertisement