Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a PIR,how to wire it?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 10:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

How do I wire for an external PIR?

I have 2 lights down the side of the house and the switch for them is in the kitchen area.While my floor boards are up.I have access to the wiring route from the light switch up to both the lights.

How do I wire in a PIR,as in where do I run the wire for the PIR to and from?

Also,is there such a thing as a 360 degree/dome shaped PIR,that works in both directions (walking down side of house from rear or front of ?)

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If they are mains powered PiRs you wire in Live Neutral & Earth (If applicaple) to the PiR . Parallel Neutral & Earth to the Lamp & the live come from a switch wire out of the sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

junction box and 5-core (don't think the 4-cores available with correct colours)

or loop in and out with 3-core nymj

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

take the switched live from the switch to the pir and then to the light and then onto the other light. Make sure ya have a nuetral and earth at the pir.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

take the switched live from the switch to the pir and then to the light and then onto the other light. Make sure ya have a nuetral and earth at the pir.....

So like a daisy chain link?

The cable for the lights is 3 core Nymj

So switch live up to PIR....the live from PIR to 1st light......then live from 1st light to 2nd light.

Neutral and earth on PIR too.

Is that it??

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

yeah thats it, just loop the nuetral and earth off the first or second light, whichever is closest to the pir..... remember always turn off the power before goin near electricity....

• Advertisement

yeah thats it, just loop the nuetral and earth off the first or second light, whichever is closest to the pir..... remember always turn off the power before goin near electricity....

Thanks,I ALLWAYS turn the power off (at the mains fuse board) and then check that its dead,where I am working in the house with any power cable or socket.:)

1 more quick question,can I install 2 PIRs?

1 at each end of the side of my house,to cover the front side and the rear side of the house when someone is walking through.

How would I link up the 2 PIRs?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

paddy147 wrote: »
    1 more quick question,can I install 2 PIRs?

1 at each end of the side of my house,to cover the front side and the rear side of the house when someone is walking through.

How would I link up the 2 PIRs?

Do you want either PIR to switch both lights?
    If so parallel both switch wires to both lights.
    If you want individual switching then send one switch wire to each light and parallel neutral and earths.

Got an outdoor 360 degree PIR and some Nymj today in Eurosales.It has a 360 degree range of 10 meters so that will do me fine.

Can I ask what way to wire it,as the label shows 2 lives?:confused:

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

In your picture the left L is live in, the right L is live out. The N is neutral to enable the device(pir) to have 230v to work. So its live in from the supply, neutral in and out from the same terminal, and live out to the load.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    In your picture the left L is live in, the right L is live out. The N is neutral to enable the device(pir) to have 230v to work. So its live in from the supply, neutral in and out from the same terminal, and live out to the load.

So "live in from the the supply" means from the light switch??

And "live out" means out to the light fitting itself??

Yes thats it. And neutral is only needed to the PIR so it has 230v supply to power it. So neutral can be into and out of the neutral terminal on the PIR.

Yes thats it. And neutral is only needed to the PIR so it has 230v supply to power it. So neutral can be into and out of the neutral terminal on the PIR.

Sweet.

One more question,what do I do with the earth of the Nymj?

The 2 light fitings only need the live and neutral to work aswell.

Do I just trim the earth of the Nymj back/cut it out at the connection points to the PIR and lights??

Thanks.

With a PIR the earth is probably not needed, but you should continue the earth on to the light fitting the PIR is controlling, even of the light fitting does not need the earth. So at the PIR connect the supply earth to the earth of the cable going to the light in a connector. And iof the light needs no earth, terminate the earth into a connector.

Its very bad practice to just cut off the earth when its not needed for a particular device. In my opinion anyway.

With a PIR the earth is probably not needed, but you should continue the earth on to the light fitting the PIR is controlling, even of the light fitting does not need the earth. So at the PIR connect the supply earth to the earth of the cable going to the light in a connector. And iof the light needs no earth, terminate the earth into a connector.

Its very bad practice to just cut off the earth when its not needed for a particular device. In my opinion anyway.

Duely noted.

Thanks for that.:)

Advertisement