Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst road in Dublin

• 14-04-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

The road from Portmarnock to Baldoyle has claimed two spokes on my road racer. I shall be avoiding from now on. Going the other way seems fine but coming back is ruffff!

Pity, cos the run out to Malahide is quality.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    The road from Portmarnock to Baldoyle has claimed two spokes on my road racer. I shall be avoiding from now on. Going the other way seems fine but coming back is ruffff!

Pity, cos the run out to Malahide is quality.

Aye its shockingly bad on the seaward side, yet far better the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Collins avenue towards DCU is pretty pathetic, could easily buckle a wheel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭easygoing39

The Richmond Road is the worst.Off camber,full of bumps/holes,plus its narrow at spots,so cars get too close as they try to pass you,either passing from behind or going against you.
    I've never had any bother with the Baldoyle Road when Ive been over that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

I've had two spins out there. flew out lovely to Malahide but both times on way back heard the dreaded twang as I entered Baldoyle. Spoke gone, and had to limp home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

I'm going to vote for James's St with a special mention going to the stretch of road by the Emo garage opposite Mount Brown. I'm also a fan of the dried concrete that has covered the cycle lane at the bridge crossing the Liffey at Islandbridge. Bravo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Old ashbourne road is pretty frickin shockin too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Emmet Road in Inchicore. Sh!t sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

Yes Portmarnock to Baldoyle is pretty bad and dangerous too, however, the roads in north county Dublin around Oldtown surely take the prize for Dublin's worst roads. In every direction in and out of Oldtown they are shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

richmond road has/had to be the worst,baggot street is fairly bad heading outbound,upper leeson st heading inbound is bad,pearse st in general,tara st....i could go on and on and on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

happytramp wrote: »
    I'm also a fan of the dried concrete that has covered the cycle lane at the bridge crossing the Liffey at Islandbridge. Bravo.

Plus one on that, shakes the crap out of you. Then you get onto Chesterfield Avenue or Blackhorse Avenue, surely two of the worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Spokes of Glory

setanta159 wrote: »
    Yes Portmarnock to Baldoyle is pretty bad and dangerous too, however, the roads in north county Dublin around Oldtown surely take the prize for Dublin's worst roads. In every direction in and out of Oldtown they are shocking.

Yup second that on the Oldtown/Ballyboughal area - swiss cheese surface with random molehills of tarmac. Never understood the inability of Irish county councils to surface roads with anything other than a layer of tarmac that will last about 2 heavy rain showers.

Spokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

happytramp wrote: »
    I'm also a fan of the dried concrete that has covered the cycle lane at the bridge crossing the Liffey at Islandbridge. Bravo.

I second the concrete at Islandbridge and the roads around Oldtown, but also the Eastbound side of Beaver row from Clonskeagh to Donnybrook is fairly miserable, in particular the section opposite the bus garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

The Richmond Road is the worst.Off camber,full of bumps/holes,plus its narrow at spots,so cars get too close as they try to pass you,either passing from behind or going against you.
    I've never had any bother with the Baldoyle Road when Ive been over that direction.

+1 on Richmond road. Gracepark road is dreadful too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Definitly Richmond road, narrow, awkward. If you cycle you'll be beeped at for slowing traffic but sure what can you do?

And of course, they shoved apartment blocks on this narrow little road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Agreed i cycle malahide to howth most evenings - there are only a couple of bad holes and once you know where they are you're grand. However around oldtown & st margarets there is just no avoiding them as they are literally everywhere and for long stretches too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Definitly Richmond road, narrow, awkward. If you cycle you'll be beeped at for slowing traffic but sure what can you do?

They're also looking for planning permission for a 5 storey nursing home on the Ergo site. Huzzah, large construction vehicles and more traffic to make the road even worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

If we're talkin county and not just city, then yeah the roads around Oldtown are pretty bad. However there is one road, heading north off the Naul -> Balbriggan road and up toward Snowtown, which is the worst I've ever seen. It looks like it's downfield of an artillery range, forget potholes there are actual craters on it; half the width of the road and at least 15cm deep.

That was last year too, I haven't been on it since the snow. Odds are it's in even worse shape now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Conyngham Road approaching the new court building. At least a half dozen gullies right across the bus lane that I'd think were expansion gaps if it was concrete instead of tarmac. Impossible to avoid and a nasty jolt every time you go over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Northumberland road, towards town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rathmines Road is a complete mess too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Gardiner St from Abbey St to Hill16 pub.
    Westland Row also going north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭LD

StudentC wrote: »
    I second the concrete at Islandbridge and the roads around Oldtown, but also the Eastbound side of Beaver row from Clonskeagh to Donnybrook is fairly miserable, in particular the section opposite the bus garage.

Beaver row's not great, there's some nice huge chunks out of the main Dundrum Rd in parts too but overall it could be worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'd say its just the tip of the iceberg. The are a fair few craters popping up over the city after the icy period that aren't getting fixed as quickly as they used to.

36 spokes FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Clontarf Road where there is no cycle lane, just as St Annes Park ends on your right and up as far as the bridge over to Royal Dublin GC..

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Completely agree. The road from ballyboughal to oldtown is nearly impassible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Cycle richmond road both ways every day and dont find it to bad...however the worst bit of road I come across is East Wall Road heading from north strand towards the port. Parts of it are only passable slowly and carefully unless you want to wreck your bike..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

captain P wrote: »
    +1 on Richmond road. Gracepark road is dreadful too!

I call it 'Disgrace Park Road' for a good while now ;)

Anyway, may I please add Whitworth Road? Heading towards Drumcondra Road, there is one pothole about halfway down the road, if you run into that, you feel like hitting a land mine :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Moyne Rd between Belcamp and Portmarnock.

Road is in bits on the left hand side, you have to cycle in the center/center left

I assume it's caused by lorries and construction traffic

Edit, tried to give a direct link to google streetview but I've never managed that, didn't work

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Phoenix Park, although this is apparently been done up for the visitors from the US and England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

outside tesco in Ballyfermot the buses and tesco trucks have completely torn up the raised area in both directions

+1 for islandbridge

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

seamus wrote: »
    Rathmines Road is a complete mess too.

Makes it what it is really, don't ever see it winning tidy towns

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

kilns wrote: »
    Clontarf Road where there is no cycle lane, just as St Annes Park ends on your right and up as far as the bridge over to Royal Dublin GC..

Yep, passing a stationary bus here and ran into a crater. Result - puncture.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I call it 'Disgrace Park Road' for a good while now ;)

I go through Marino to avoid it. It's not much better.

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Yep, passing a stationary bus here and ran into a crater. Result - puncture.

I freaking hate that road. I end up bunny hopping for half the way or just staying out of the cycle path, but even then some of those cracks cross whole lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

36 spokes FTW!

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I'll stretch it to the "Greater Dublin Area" as the insurers say:

The 21 bends between Enniskerry and the N11 at Fassaroe, Bray. Awful surface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭alentejo

Dawson Street. Rathmines is dreadful. I wish they would spend the money on resurfacing this road as opposed to the white elephant cycle track on the canal.

alentejo wrote: »
    Dawson Street. Rathmines is dreadful. I wish they would spend the money on resurfacing this road as opposed to the white elephant cycle track on the canal.

Parts of that cycle track are brilliant, ironically the bit I am referring to is between Leeson St. and Baggot St. and it seems ot be the only part of the track that little or no money has been spent on (ie it's a painted track on the regular road surface rather than that red **** they insist on retardly putting everywhere)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

alentejo wrote: »

I think there is some kind of repair plan afoot in the Rathmines area have you noticed they have numbered all the bad sections.... whether that means anything ,remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

brayblue24 wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

sort of on topic, there's a pothole on the edge of the cycle lane heading west along the canal/mespil rd from Baggot St. Bridge just before the turn for sussex terrace/leeson st. It's one of those weird deep subsidence-looking things. Someone has resorted to putting a traffic cone IN it. There used to be one similar outside the RDS and the thing is because the surface is smooth you dont see it until youre in it, hugely dangerous for bikes in heavy traffic.

• Advertisement

+1 on Dawson Street

That pothole by RDS was terrible, I remember it. I think it has started to open up agin too.

I also vote for Ballymun Road from DCU to Griffith Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 whysomanyhills

Cycle lane (not a road specifically I know) from the Leopardstown Road junction to UCD on the N11 - up, down, bendy, pedesterians, dodgy surface - If you on a racer it's safer (questionable - I know !!) and quicker to use the bus lane as it's downhill most of the way and you can hammer it :D

Also firhouse road from the bottom of knocklyon road to templeogue bridge - they have being doing roadworks there for ages - it's in a jock - me mate was telling me he nearly went flying the other day due to the state of it

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jets

Also firhouse road from the bottom of knocklyon road to templeogue bridge - they have being doing roadworks there for ages - it's in a jock - me mate was telling me he nearly went flying the other day due to the state of it

The real problem with firhouse road is that despite working on it for past 2 years, im not sure what they are trying to achieve. + there was nothing wrong with the road in the first place :eek:

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    I think there is some kind of repair plan afoot in the Rathmines area have you noticed they have numbered all the bad sections.... whether that means anything ,remains to be seen.
    Usually means they're going to cut the bad parts out and replace them. Don't know why they can't just go ahead and resurface the whole fecking thing and be done with it.

I'm tempted to bring a can of yellow spray paint on my commute and mark extra numbers on all the bits that they've forgotten to mark :)

seamus wrote: »
    Usually means they're going to cut the bad parts out and replace them. Don't know why they can't just go ahead and resurface the whole fecking thing and be done with it.

I'm tempted to bring a can of yellow spray paint on my commute and mark extra numbers on all the bits that they've forgotten to mark :)

I wonder is there a code you an spray down indicating that a long stretch has to be done? Have to cycle along there every night on the way home from work, would be nice if it was re done, except that Dominos always block it off regardless, maybe if they got rid of the cycle lane entirely and resurfaced the entire road.

Once you get into fantasising about fixing Rathmines....

They usually just marked one edge of the "box" to be removed, with an arrow pointing towards the other edge. I've seen this done for long stretches. Tbh for Rathmines I'd pull up the whole road and resurface it, put in a "Bus Gate" at the Swan centre, so only busses could go straight through from Rathgar into Rathmines (cars can use Leinster Road or Ranelagh) and I'd also ban all right turns onto and off the road during rush hour. Including traffic into and out of St. Mary's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

brayblue24 wrote: »
    I'll stretch it to the "Greater Dublin Area" as the insurers say:

This road closed for the weekend......for re-surfacing:D:D

I usually use the other road by the Summerhill Hotel (that might change now) veeeeery busy this morningg as it's a detour till monday

Advertisement