Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Shipping

• 14-04-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any good companies that'll ship bikes internationally? Or will I be as well going with DHL or something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Try shiply.com It's a reverse auction system where courier services submit bids for your business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Cool, thanks Lemag. I have the bid in there now, just waiting for someone to take them

I checked with fedex - 180 each!. If it's going to be that sort of crazy money, I'll just check them in myself the next time I fly over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

Worth bearing in mind that courier companies are only liable for a very small percentage of the value of your bike (weight based I think!) and if the bike dissapears you will receive very little in compensation!
    One of the guys in our club had a bike collected in Germany by one of the big courier companies, it was brought to one of their shipping hubs and basically never came out! He received €150 in compensation for a €2000 bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

RPL1 wrote: »
    One of the guys in our club had a bike collected in Germany by one of the big courier companies, it was brought to one of their shipping hubs and basically never came out! He received €150 in compensation for a €2000 bike!

no way.

good info though. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

RPL1 wrote: »

All the big companies offer insurance over the standard basic
    If the guy didn't choose to pay for the extra insurance or didn't know he had to pay for it, he'll get the basic payout.

Just like airline loosing your bag. Don't matter what's in it, you get paid by the KG. That's why you pay extra for baggage insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭bikermartin

surely the online retailler is responsible if it is their own courier lost the bike :eek::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

briano wrote: »
    Cool, thanks Lemag. I have the bid in there now, just waiting for someone to take them

I checked with fedex - 180 each!. If it's going to be that sort of crazy money, I'll just check them in myself the next time I fly over
    No worries briano. I've only used it once and it wasn't much good to me. I ended up using An Post. I think that my problem was probably because I was shipping between two domestic addresses. For instance, if I'd been arranging to have the bike collected from a large dealership it would be quite likely that whomever submitted the most competitive bid would already be collecting items from that same dealership.

The more flexible you are regarding your collection and arrival dates the better.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

surely the online retailler is responsible if it is their own courier lost the bike :eek::confused::confused:

Unfortunately he used the same courier that he used for his business to collect the bike ... it seemed easier at the time! He didn't realise that he should have taken extra insurance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

GLS parcel shops. I used their service to send back an unwanted frame to the Uk. e35. Check out the website for locations around Dublin.

Cheers Velo,

I have sent GLS an email asking what the cost would be and, in honour of RPL1, if they offer insurance over the basic €350 per parcel. I'll throw the response up here if it is of any interest.

No word back yet from Shiply, I didn't provide exact dates or locations as I am pretty flexible on it, but I'll hang on for another wee bit to see if I get anything from them back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Briano: Any news on the price?

Sajan wrote: »
    Briano: Any news on the price?

I heard nothing from Shiply, ended up packing the bikes into two boxes. They were 55 euro each. The restrictions were that the length + height of the boxes had to be less than 3 meters and the weights had to be less than 50kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheLaughingDog

I just shipped an XL Cannondale Jekyll complete mtb in a single box to a chap in the UK that won it on an eBay auction I had going. Had previously opened an account with Fedex to get decent pricing from them, but in the end my local post office in the village where I live shipped it for €59 registered. Can't get better than that. I have a bunch of other stuff including frames and wheels which I'll now be shipping with An Post in future. Big ups to An Post and the local post master.
    Also Fedex are a pain in the ass to deal with and got a lot wrong with my account and subsequent billing for stuff that I'd shipped with them in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CaptainOats

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone ever shipped a bike to Australia (Sydney)? Did it cost the world and its mother?!

Box arrived yesterday, skewers were poking through the side of the box and there was a nasty dent in the box above where the headtube is/was.

Bike itself is in fine condition (I don't remember it being so dirty mind you...) and the wheels are fine. One strange thing, the rear brake caliper was shut pretty tight, to the extent I couldn't fit the wheel in. Not sure what caused it, but have to throw on new pads at any rate, so I will have to give it a bit of a tune anyway

One thing learned, I should have wrapped a bag around my saddle. It must have rubbed off the chain at some point in the journey.

Advertisement