Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hornady Superformance - .300 Win Mag

Options
  • 14-04-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone seen or used this? I'd say it's a bit rough on the shoulder, but the performance is incredible. In the 180gr Interbond, it's going 3130 fps, for 1.3" high at 100 and 5.9" low at 300 from a 200 yard zero. Zero that about 1.75" high at 100 and that'll be dead on at 225 and only 4.6" low at 300, barely a pinch below point of aim on deer sized game, and with a 180gr bullet making over 3900 ft/lbs at the muzzle! For really dedicated long range stuff like high mountain sheep and the like, you've got a 150gr GMX bullet moving at 3400 fps at the muzzle. With the same height at 100 yards you'd be dead on at 250 yards and 2.7" low at 300. Hold over would be a foot at 400 yards, which is an easy hold to make. Hits at 400 on deer sized game would be made much easier. Anyone seen it? How much is it going for here? Would make life very interesting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Tried them in my LRS2 and they wouldnt group but a mate has a custom and it groups them under half inch at 150 yrds doin 3150 fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

180gr at 3150? Wow... If that's the road I go down, I'd like to try the ammo sometime. Would be interesting to shoot it out to 500 on some small steels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

26inch custom barrel dont forget..

GixxerThou wrote: »
    26inch custom barrel dont forget..

I'd be going at least 24" myself, and possibly 26", so would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

ItWasn'tMe,
    What caliber are you shooting now?

• Advertisement

FISMA wrote: »
    ItWasn'tMe,
    What caliber are you shooting now?

.25-06, and will be for the next season at least. After that, no idea. could make the rifle a switch-barrel job in .25-06 or .270 and 9.3x62, or might open the bolt face and put it in .300 win and get a lightweight stalking rifle in .25-06 or 7-08 or the like. They're fun ideas to mess with, but need a big cash injection. I think the money spent on it this year will be a McMillan stock when I have some to spare.

Advertisement