Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Directories Out There?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi All,

I am always getting calls from different Directories asking me sign up to their online websites. I was wondering, what exactly is the best directory out there? I need to bring more traffic to my website but are directories the best way to do this?? (Without costing an arm and a leg!)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

NO!

If you are trying to get traffic to your site try to build links/business relationships with other websites which also service your target market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 callummcg

A friend of mine uses whatswhat.ie and he enquired about views on his add and it turned out that three quarters of his web site views came from whatswhat.is and the difference between a free listing and a top spot was
    500% With a smaller directory you might actually have a better sucess rate because less companies are listed.I am in property and I have found you are probably better off getting a local agent who has lesser property on his books that using the big fish companies that have half of dublin on their books .I hope this makes sense

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

callummcg wrote: »
    With a smaller directory you might actually have a better sucess rate because less companies are listed.

Think about this, why are less companies listed and why is it a smaller directory? If that directory was one of the big players then lots of people would be on it and paying top dollar to be high up on the searches.

If its a smaller directory its one of the smaller players, it has less chance of appearing in search engines when people search on Google, chances are it doesnt have a huge advertising budget and people havent heard of it.

For a directory website to be of any use to you as a business they need to be spending huge amounts of money on advertising to bring traffic to their site, and then in turn making money of you putting you top of their lists so that traffic in turn goes to your site. If they arent getting the hits and the traffic themselves there isnt any chance of you getting any.

Also its important to remember we are only talking about views here, views are all very well but its converting the views into purchases or enquiries that matters.

The biggest problem with ALL directories is, "they can't make people ring your number".

And that is not the fault of the directory.
    Marketing your product/service is your first task.

Think about this:
    Your product is listed in a local newspaper.
    Your product is listed in boards.ie
    Your product is listed in a Directory.
    Then you get a call about your product, the question is where did the customer get your number? Or which is best?

This is brand recognition and the customer more than likely contacted you because the recognized your add.
    Get your business in as many places as you can, just remember to only advertise where the users, readers or interested parties are also your target market and always ask why or how the customer got your number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 callump

lets just say directory a has 1000 companies and 20000 hits
    20 to one chance of a visit
    directory b has 200 companies and 3000 hits
    15 to one chance of a visit
    I have geen trying to do my homework on this for my storage company
    and yet certain directories have first page in certain caterogies .The bigger directories wont neccessary bring you to 1st page on google thru there search engines of course yet they may be value in the smaller directories
    The fees for the the smaller directories are a fraction compared to the biggest directories
    you can judge the cost per visit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I think you're missing the point about a lot of directories - the SEO value

An international list is here: http://info.vilesilencer.com/

For Irish ones here's a good starting point: http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/search-engine-optimisation/738-list-of-useful-irish-directories.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mazimillion

callummcg wrote: »
    A friend of mine uses whatswhat.ie and he enquired about views on his add and it turned out that three quarters of his web site views came from whatswhat.is and the difference between a free listing and a top spot was
    500% With a smaller directory you might actually have a better sucess rate because less companies are listed.I am in property and I have found you are probably better off getting a local agent who has lesser property on his books that using the big fish companies that have half of dublin on their books .I hope this makes sense

Thanks Callummcg, sounds good, had a look at whatwhat.ie there, seems to be a good site but how do I know if I will get alot of views / hits / business from it?

Not sure about your theory with smaller and bigger directories though!

Axwell you make a good point but surely if I am getting the hits, its up to me to have my website up to scratch and to convert any enquires into sales?

Brian, I agree, you have to get your name / brand out there as much as possible but it is difficult when your starting up and it often takes time to build up a brand name, thats why I was interested in directories, if they can bring bring traffic to my site and give me an edge over my competitors then thats something you cant ignore

Blacknight - Your spot on, I want to build up my SEO organically and without adwords etc so is there on out there that will give me a direct link back to my site?

Appreciate all the feedback everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Blacknight - Your spot on, I want to build up my SEO organically and without adwords etc so is there on out there that will give me a direct link back to my site?
    Have a look at the links I posted

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭theshamu

The biggest problem with ALL directories is, "they can't make people ring your number".

And that is not the fault of the directory.
    Marketing your product/service is your first task.

Think about this:
    Your product is listed in a local newspaper.
    Your product is listed in boards.ie
    Your product is listed in a Directory.
    Then you get a call about your product, the question is where did the customer get your number? Or which is best?

This is brand recognition and the customer more than likely contacted you because the recognized your add.
    Get your business in as many places as you can, just remember to only advertise where the users, readers or interested parties are also your target market and always ask why or how the customer got your number.

Top advice..

Blacknight wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point about a lot of directories - the SEO value

An international list is here: http://info.vilesilencer.com/

For Irish ones here's a good starting point: http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/search-engine-optimisation/738-list-of-useful-irish-directories.html

Just to add to this message, what i'm talking about above is where you are paying for the listings BUT list your website in the free online directories, as Blacknight has said for the SEO value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I've gotten some great traffic/ranking boosts from people doing gigs on Fiverr.

Just take your time and try to find gigs that are highly rated, in demand, and TARGETTED!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sparky28

Hi All,

I am always getting calls from different Directories asking me sign up to their online websites. I was wondering, what exactly is the best directory out there? I need to bring more traffic to my website but are directories the best way to do this?? (Without costing an arm and a leg!)

Thanks

Hi, I have used a lot of online directories over the last while. A lot of the lesser know free listing directories arent up to much. I have however found that whatswhat.ie, needit.ie, and the free option on yourlocal.ie have generated business for me. Best of luck.

Advertisement