Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor still looking for stupid deposits from new customers?

Options
  • 14-04-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Last time I tried to buy a bill pay sim card from Meteor, they asked me for €300 deposit. Is this still in play or have they seen sense?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

It was always and still is in place and is on place for all networks. You may get accepted by another network with no deposit but likewise someone who gets asked for a deposit on another network may not be asked for one with Meteor. All networks credit score potential new bill pay customers and all require some new customers to pay security deposits like you were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dsrckiyisvddht

I am a student(23) and bought a desire z on the €30 plan around January/December and wasn't asked for a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I am a student(23) and bought a desire z on the €30 plan around January/December and wasn't asked for a deposit.

And that's the problem. I'm working, mortgage, car loan perfect credit history and get asked for a 300€ deposit for a 15€ per month sim card.

If anyone from meteor reads this, please pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Was told it just picks people at random so don't take it personally. Even just go in again and give your occupation as something different and you may not get asked. Sounds stupid but it might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

It is very random. They didnt want a deposit when i was taking out a BP plan with a phone. But when i was taking out bill pay lite plan they asked for 50 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

The don't pick random people....

You are scored using an algorithm built into the connection process. It has nothing to do with your credit score as they are not linked. Basically the application data submitted by the sales rep is scored.

The systems are based on very conservative rules to make up the fact that the networks cant see you credit history. What the rules are I imagine are secret but you can bet they are based on old pre credit history bank rules.

For instance, if you have a land line you would be scored higher than if not, a "professional" would be scored higher than a student and so forth.

There are then auto deposits based of fraud levels. Things like smartphones tend to have auto deposits were as high end tarrifs have a higher score threshold. These skew the final result which is why some people get deposits even though they may have desirable scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

They credit score for Broadband too yes. My BBTG account required €50 deposit and someone elses required €100 which was pointless. You might as well just get prepay broadband in that case

Its horse ****, and completely counter productive from their point of view. Could you imagine the CEO of o2 face if they were doing that kind of thing. Turning away new customers over a banjaxed credit policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Why do I get the feeling you'll be posting about that very issue sometime in the future ;)

I genuinely can't believe they are doing this. Id nearly go as far as to say I'm outraged by the whole thing. I mean what is the point. 300€ on a 15€ per month contact would have me prepaying 20 months. 1 year and 8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

In the case of a bill pay lite they just add it back to the bank account you use as Direct Debit within 10 days. I reckon its the same here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

The thing is Meteor doesnt outright decline anyone like the other networks might, they just put silly deposits on setting up a new Bill pay

Meesared wrote: »
    The thing is Meteor doesnt outright decline anyone like the other networks might, they just put silly deposits on setting up a new Bill pay

Yeah but they are chargimg customers without any trace of a dodgy past or any indication that they are a likely fraudster. Their credit policy is heavily flawed

Advertisement